Hello from Bromley, Kent.

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
rlw
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hello from Bromley, Kent.

Post by rlw » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:01 am

Very new here but what a great resource.

I've not been playing that long - about 16 months - but I soon discovered that me and Strats don't get on, nor me and Teles. Me and LPs get on just about so I acquired a 2015 Studio and, later on a 2015 Standard. I have to say that I like the wider necks - great for learning on - and the G-Force tuning system, simply because its self contained, easy and quick. Overall, I think both guitars are pretty damn good.

But....I'm not a youngster any more (63) and my hands don't stretch as much as they might have done once, and they get a bit creaky after playing for a while. Cue looking at short scale guitars and the first thing I find is a Squier Mustang - Sonic Blue with a white pickguard - for a good price. I try it and love it. It sounds good and is easy to play. Needed setting up but is now a bit of a favourite.

Encouraged by this, I try a Fender Modern Player Jaguar with P90s in dark red stain. Again, I try it and love it. It sounds very different to the Mustang but is great to hold and to play. It all seems to be in the right places for me. A thorough clean up (what is it with youngsters and filthy guitars...), new strings and a set up and its brilliant.

Finally, and this is how I ended up here, I fell for a Squier VM Jaguar on ebay. When it arrived I was not thrilled as it was a bit dirty (again) and didn't seem very loved, but what I was shocked by was that bridge. After trying to get it setup nicely,and failing miserably, I enquired on The Fretboard as to what others might have done to remedy the situation. I was pointed here. Needless to say I looked at all the threads, considered all the options and went ummmm.

After a bit more research I ordered one of the fancy Schaller 3D-6 bridges and I'm currently waiting for it to arrive. It looks the business, adjusts every which way and attaches with three screws straight into the body. Perfect.

I will give an update in the appropriate place shortly. In the meantime, hi.
Save a cow - eat a vegetarian.

Gav Haus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hello from Bromley, Kent.

Post by Gav Haus » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:34 am

Watcha. There isn't an offset question that cannot be answered on here mate. Encyclopaedic doesn't quite cover it.
http://wearerichlist.com

Kent
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hello from Bromley, Kent.

Post by Kent » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:49 pm

Well, hello yourself, sir! ;D