Aug

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Aug

Post by Aug » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:29 am

I'm an admin (one of 3) for shortscale.org, I restore, build, setup guitars, make custom pickguards, drink too much, smoke too much and philander too little.  :'(

95/6 Jag-stang, a Jazzmaster I built from a Jagmaster and an early 70's restored Fender Bronco.

97 Duo I picked up for cheap and simply cleaned up, made a pickguard and installed new wiring, pups, pots.

Me offering some sage advice...

My '64 Mustang...yeah...it's 22.5"

Another 97 Duo I finished restoring yesterday...

A mustang body I made two days ago...

I also have a bunch of other guitars, but none are shortscale...or offset...so...yeah.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Aug

Post by zhivago » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:33 am

nice guitars!!

welcome to the forum!

:)
Resident Spartan.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:43 am

Great guitars... nice projects.

I've done a few of those MIM Duos myself. I had a red one that I redid to look more like the 56 - 63 original style (kluson style tuners fit on those necks really well, the spacing is right (and if I remember correctly, left no visible holes). I  used black no-hole covers over Tex Mex pups, barrel knobs, 3 ply guard, threaded saddles, and a custom-made Spag logo. It was cool.

Two more: One was black that I put a 24" musicmaster neck on, black guard and amp knobs. The other was a relicy white one that I put Jaguar pickups in and a 24" mapleboard Mustang neck. Only the top of the pickup routes had to be slightly enlarged to fit the Jag pups in. The guard was mint green and I used Jag/Mustang knobs.

Nice Mustang body! You are obviously very talented.

Q. Are we not men?

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:19 am

fullerplast wrote: Great guitars... nice projects.

I've done a few of those MIM Duos myself. I had a red one that I redid to look more like the 56 - 63 original style (kluson style tuners fit on those necks really well, the spacing is right (and if I remember correctly, left no visible holes). I  used black no-hole covers over Tex Mex pups, barrel knobs, 3 ply guard, threaded saddles, and a custom-made Spag logo. It was cool.

Two more: One was black that I put a 24" musicmaster neck on, black guard and amp knobs. The other was a relicy white one that I put Jaguar pickups in and a 24" mapleboard Mustang neck. Only the top of the pickup routes had to be slightly enlarged to fit the Jag pups in. The guard was mint green and I used Jag/Mustang knobs.

Nice Mustang body! You are obviously very talented.

I wanted to go O.G. with this last one, I even bought the Klusons, and you are right about the spacing...but, the tuners cover all the holes but one...the very top hole for the High E tuner.  Also, I'll need to drill (actually ream) the headstock, though, as the bushings are a touch too big.

As for the Mustang body, it was my first evar!!!  And way easier than I thought, I just wish I had a smaller bit for the pup and switch cavities.  My smallest bit has a 1" bite, and the O.G. '66 Mustang I copied had a 5/8" depth under the pups.  I did go ahead and take the depth to 3/4", though.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:45 am

Some very nice projects there. Thanks for dropping in .. we'll have to try and get some reciprocal link thing going on.

(We're still getting settled in as you can see!)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:53 am

mezcalhead wrote:

(We're still getting settled in as you can see!)
So are we! 

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:24 pm

My smallest bit has a 1" bite, and the O.G. '66 Mustang I copied had a 5/8" depth under the pups.  I did go ahead and take the depth to 3/4", though.
What did you use to rout the inner cavities? I noted the size bit, but what head did you use? I just ruined a cool body using a giant Craftsman router... it was too difficult to see what I was doing under it. I've thought about getting a router attachment for my dremel, but I'm not sure how good that would work (if it would be strong enough to properly rout a cavity).

I've done so many builds using pre-existing parts, and many mods of existing parts, made components from scratch, and have done refins... but I've never cut, shaped and routed a whole body. That's something I would really like to get into.

Maybe we should start a thread on this in the Project/Mods/Resto section and share ideas on tools and techniques...
Q. Are we not men?

Aug
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Aug » Sat Oct 07, 2006 1:27 pm