Greetings from Valhalla!

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
seancostello
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Greetings from Valhalla!

Post by seancostello » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:24 am

jakeisjake wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2023 5:27 am
Hi, and welcome!

Please tell me about your mandocello!
It's the Eastwood Warren Ellis Mandocello (https://eastwoodguitars.com/collections ... mandocello). Narrow neck, 4 courses of strings tuned in fifths, starting at a low C. The bottom two courses have octave tuning, the top two unison. Mustang shaped alder body. Single coil neck pickup, humbucking bridge pickup.

When I did searches for mandocellos online, I found a bunch of YouTube videos of dudes playing the 1st Bach cello suite in G major. The Eastwood mandocello can certainly do that. Personally, I treat it as a cross between a 12-string guitar, a stoner rock machine, and an alt tuned Jazzmaster/Jaguar. It can sound more like the Electric XII on the third Velvet Underground album (and the Matrix Tapes live VU) than my actual Electric XII. Run it through a Russian Big Muff, and it sounds like Sonic Youth or My Bloody Valentine. Play 5ths on the lowest strings and dig into the finger vibrato, and it sounds like Sleep or Sabbath other doomy bands tuned down to C. With all of those sounds, you have that parallel fifths tuning, which means that the chords are going to sound very different from most music out there, unless you were using Fripp's New Standard Tuning. The unison and octave tuning adds fullness and beating all over the place. It's really an incredible instrument.

seancostello
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by seancostello » Mon Jul 03, 2023 8:47 am

Larry Mal wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:40 pm
seancostello wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:47 pm

I think the Descendant is fantastic. Stays in tune, less of the string sound behind the bridge than the standard Jaguar vibrato.
See, I like that resonance that the behind the string action gives you. My only guitar for a long time was a Jazzmaster, and then one day I bought a Les Paul and a Telecaster, and it took me a while to get used to those since they just sounded so... direct, I guess.
For me, the jangly behind the string stuff has its time and place. I love the direct sound of a Telecaster. I might experiment with using some foam or felt on the Jaguar, in order to dampen the strings somewhat. I've got enough reverberant sound in my life.
I actually checked my account with you and see that I also have your Delay. I'm not sure if I put that on my new computer, actually. That's kind of a new one for me, maybe I should dig into that soon.
That's my favorite plugin I've worked on for guitar. I don't use a lot of big ambient reverb on my guitars, but I love the tape echo-y and BBD stuff on them.
I guess while I have you, do you have anything else you are working on and might want to share? Seems you have all the reverbs covered except for maybe convolution, which has become kind of dime a dozen these days.
I'm working on some new stuff, but no announcements until they are released. I've learned the hard way that pre-announcing stuff can get me in trouble. It always takes way longer to release things than I would ever think.

michel v
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by michel v » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:58 am

I'm a bit late, but, welcome, Sean! Love your plugins!