G'day M8

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Post Reply
User avatar
guitalias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:04 pm

G'day M8

Post by guitalias » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:18 pm

G'day from Oz,
Still call myself a beginner guitar player. First started about 10 years ago. Various events & injuries, including from playing guitar, caused me to stop playing a few times. Started again xmas 2019, been at it daily since. Read about comfort of offset guitars & then Squier Bullet Mustang so bought one online to try. Enjoying the sitting playing comfort. Maybe I'll post to explain why good & what makes it good for a beginner. But it has its probs also, saddle screws touching strings & tone only working on maximum volume, both fixed now. Found OSG b4 purchase & issues led me back.
copyalater, guitalias

User avatar
mbene085
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 5367
Joined: Tue May 24, 2016 5:07 am

Re: G'day M8

Post by mbene085 » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:25 pm

Welcome! Those Bullet Mustangs are fantastic guitars for the price but do require a bit of setup and troubleshooting as you've experienced. Which colour did you get?

User avatar
guitalias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Re: G'day M8

Post by guitalias » Tue Apr 21, 2020 11:01 pm

Sonic Grey. Not too common in Australia, the Surf Green not offered here. Wanted something a bit different to the black & blue offerings.

User avatar
sookwinder
Mods
Mods
Posts: 10581
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:47 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: G'day M8

Post by sookwinder » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:02 am

Sonic Grey ? Is that just Sonic Blue on a Black and White TV?

Given that we are all in-doors for a while here, you've got plenty of time to play !
Then there is tomorrow, ANZAC Day holiday* to play your heart out.


*except for us in Victoria (thanks again Jeff Kennet .. you fuckwit … another fucking conservative wanker politician)
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

User avatar
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6150
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: G'day M8

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:11 pm

There's no Anzac Day public holiday today in NSW, QLD, SA, NT or TAS either.

Only WA and ACT get it for some reason (I always thought it was 'Monday-ised' if it fell on a weekend day but apparently not...)
sookwinder wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:02 am
*except for us in Victoria (thanks again Jeff Kennet .. you fuckwit … another fucking conservative wanker politician)
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

User avatar
BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Re: G'day M8

Post by BlueSparkle » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:15 pm

Of all the dates of national significance, this is marked without a public holiday. It is the singular most offensive bureaucratic bungle by the Feds, who are the regulator in this instance.

It's an insult to all who served and who serve.

btw, Welcome and please send a pic of your Sonic Grey offset. I'd liek to see that.
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

User avatar
andy_tchp
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6150
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:36 am
Location: Brisbane

Re: G'day M8

Post by andy_tchp » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:31 pm

BlueSparkle wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:15 pm
Of all the dates of national significance, this is marked without a public holiday. It is the singular most offensive bureaucratic bungle by the Feds, who are the regulator in this instance.
No, it's up to each individual state/territory to determine the days that are designated as public holidays. Hence why WA (legislated for many decades) and ACT (legislated this year) have a public holiday today.

I don't know about other states, but Saturday very definitely was a public holiday here. Roughly the equivalent of Christmas, nothing was open apart from service stations and small independent grocers like IGA/Drake's.

Oh, and bottle shops, because Australia :D

When Anzac Day falls on a weekday, things usually open up as normal after 13:00hrs.

If you want to see how ridiculous things really are, consider that Anzac Day will fall on a Sunday next year. So QLD, SA and NT will join WA (and presumably the ACT) in granting a public holiday the following Monday, because of...reasons? And NSW/VIC/TAS will not :fp:
"I don't know why we asked him to join the band 'cause the rest of us don't like country music all that much; we just like Graham Lee."
David McComb, 1987.

User avatar
sookwinder
Mods
Mods
Posts: 10581
Joined: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:47 pm
Location: Melbourne Australia

Re: G'day M8

Post by sookwinder » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:37 pm

That's why I mentioned that dickwad Jeff Kennet. He removed the public holiday for Victoria in the early 90s when he was in power.
Public Holidays have nothing to do with the Federal Gov.
By definition we are a federation, the Fed has authority for defence, movement through our external borders and taxation and disbursement of taxation monies to the states.
That's about it.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

User avatar
Futuron
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 626
Joined: Fri Nov 10, 2017 3:19 am
Location: Australia

Re: G'day M8

Post by Futuron » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 pm

Hi and welcome to the site, good colour choice, sonic grey is pretty cool! 8)

Sorry about the sudden off-topic anti-politician rants, that is the nature of this site. ::)




edit: don't really want to participate, there's enough about it already!

User avatar
BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Re: G'day M8

Post by BlueSparkle » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:18 pm

andy_tchp wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:31 pm
BlueSparkle wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:15 pm
Of all the dates of national significance, this is marked without a public holiday. It is the singular most offensive bureaucratic bungle by the Feds, who are the regulator in this instance.
No, it's up to each individual state/territory to determine the days that are designated as public holidays. Hence why WA (legislated for many decades) and ACT (legislated this year) have a public holiday today.

I don't know about other states, but Saturday very definitely was a public holiday here. Roughly the equivalent of Christmas, nothing was open apart from service stations and small independent grocers like IGA/Drake's.

Oh, and bottle shops, because Australia :D

When Anzac Day falls on a weekday, things usually open up as normal after 13:00hrs.

If you want to see how ridiculous things really are, consider that Anzac Day will fall on a Sunday next year. So QLD, SA and NT will join WA (and presumably the ACT) in granting a public holiday the following Monday, because of...reasons? And NSW/VIC/TAS will not :fp:
Actually what you state is the states recursive and variable 'holidays act' legislation - because the precursor is that the Feds have made provision for it under the Fair Work Act 2009 - s115
I understand your point, but the facts are that the Federal government are the regulator and can indeed make the national holiday carry forward to the next weekday if it should fall on a weekend. Just like they do with easter, xmas boxing day etc.

There are two reasons for 'not' which idiosyncratically cause issues for this specific day:
1. public bars for returned services veterans are legally able to remain open (which can easily be legislated), and 2. employers do not have to pay staff their public holiday pay (paid day off) when there is no mandated weekday holiday.
This is actually the reason the states went to the "monday after" for the 'mandatory' i.e. enforced paid annual holidays, but the others got the kybosh 'day it falls on'.

If you want silly though, how about state dates for the same holidays.....
Queens birthday holiday... different dates in different states.... that's just silliness. or the having to combine labour day with the queens birthday holiday, or bank holiday, and a number of other dates that each state identifies as being the same, but the holiday date is different... Thats what you get when you're not clearly defining or regulating.

Want something even funnier? Bank holiday anomalies.... Some banks (not CBA) did not give their staff the holiday. Some Building societies, which are not accounted for in the legislation gave their staff the day off, while others did not... I guess it depends on "which Bank" you work for (or "which bank" owns the building society???) I remember when StGeorge became a bank and they didn't get bank holiday, same for metropolitan (qld) before it became metway (now suncorp).

Like I said, it is the domain of the Federal government to legislate that the holiday is provided (mandatory) and what we ended up with was some kind of wishy-washy 'you only get the day off if it's a weekday' response implemented by each state in a different manner, because the regulation was not put in place properly.

The Feds left the interpretation of certain public holidays to the states, to apply their own "holidays act" (or variants of) legislation which in most states has amendments that only seek to reduce the number of holidays or mark them as being culturally significant and therefore not subject to industrial relations act implications..

How about daylight savings? not a holiday, but equally as ridiculous..... that's one for the Melbournians....
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

User avatar
guitalias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Re: G'day M8

Post by guitalias » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:01 am

BlueSparkle wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:15 pm
Of all the dates of national significance, this is marked without a public holiday. It is the singular most offensive bureaucratic bungle by the Feds, who are the regulator in this instance.

It's an insult to all who served and who serve.

btw, Welcome and please send a pic of your Sonic Grey offset. I'd liek to see that.
Will do.

User avatar
guitalias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Re: G'day M8

Post by guitalias » Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:04 am

Futuron wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:21 pm
Hi and welcome to the site, good colour choice, sonic grey is pretty cool! 8)

Sorry about the sudden off-topic anti-politician rants, that is the nature of this site. ::)




edit: don't really want to participate, there's enough about it already!
Yeah, Sonic Grey not too common, was a factory special, 2020 serial number, so wonder if production/import will be further limited due to CV19.

User avatar
guitalias
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:04 pm

Re: G'day M8

Post by guitalias » Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:48 pm

Okay, first photos. I immediately changed the vol/tone knobs. I chose photos that seemed to show the colour best, outdoors today it looked quite blue.
Image
Image

User avatar
BlueSparkle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 171
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:03 pm

Re: G'day M8

Post by BlueSparkle » Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:09 pm

Yeah.... That's what I'm talkin' about!
Awesome. 8)
:o)
----
'95 JDMJMCS Blue Sparkle w/ McNelly 46/58's.
other non-offsets.

Post Reply