Thunderstruck by the Jazzmaster

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
sallikaan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: Thunderstruck by the Jazzmaster

Post by sallikaan » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:40 am

NewKId wrote:
Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:24 pm

I just figured out how to post pictures. Here's my new Classic Player Jazzmaster with its dark Pau Ferro fretboard. FedEx ground delivery is scheduled for this Wednesday 2/13/19 snow-willing.
Hi there Don, I'm very interested in your JM journey as we sound to have similar addictions (Teles) :w00t:

What kind of music do you usually play? What made you feel home with JM?
Give me the champ!

NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NewKId » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:50 am

Hi Sallikaan,

I had just purchased a used Road Worn 50s Tele in late December as a backup to my American Special. So I never thought I would be getting another guitar so soon - only five weeks later. I was triggered by this YouTube Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZHHYIn ... rt_radio=1

Before buying the 2nd Tele I thought I wanted get a guitar with two humbuckers for something different. But I didn’t bond with any PRS or Gibson offering. I think Strats are beautiful and I wanted to get one of those too but the middle pickup on the Strat is a turn-off for me.

I usually play slow songs on the guitar to relax and sing to my wife. I play solo guitar and mainly fingerstyle jazz but also lots of 70s and 80s songs. Well, the Jazzmaster has the best name for the music I play and that was one of its appeals. I also liked the shape and the comfort contours of the body. The headstock is beautiful and I love vintage style tuners. I liked the different style pickups and the Rhythm Circuit with its darker sound on the neck pickup clinched it for me. That’s the tone I try to get on my Teles. So the Jazzmaster sounded great in many YouTube videos but I didn’t even wait to try one before I ordered the Classic Player because I liked the black with tort guard and the price.

After I ordered the CPJM online, I tried one out at Guitar Center the next day and loved it. It’s bigger than the Tele and the fretboard seems longer and roomier. Also, my two Teles have maple necks and I wanted a Rosewood fretboard. The CPJM has a Pau Ferro board but I found the darkest one available on Sweetwater’s site.

Right now I’m working through Ted Greene’s Modern Chord Progressions book and that’s going to keep me busy for at least the next couple of years. I also enjoy Adam Levy’s Guitar Tips series on YouTube.

So how does this compare with your Jazzmaster journey and the music you play?
Take a vacation...from your problems - Dr. Leo Marvin, auhor of Baby Steps

sallikaan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by sallikaan » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:55 am

Hi Don,
Mine is a bit different and still not there ;)
I played 80s Rock and 90s Grunge for some while, and then all the way and always blues. Just like yourself I'm not playing gigs anymore, so or self entertainment, or home jams with friends, or my loved ones. I like building guitars, and collecting some. Got Gibsons, Fenders, and in LOVE with Telecasters. I bought a Squier MJM back a year ago, and somehow just didn't get what I wanted from it. The switches, the knobs, the turnwheel just didn't resonate with me after the simplicity of the Tele, I'm sure you know what I mean.
But lately a lot of influences (and yeah now the sweeet video you shared :? ) keeps me thinking.
Haven't decided if I should go for a Fender offset option, or any other. Fishing and learning so far, I got a decision to make, but when I don't know yet.
Give me the champ!

NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NewKId » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:43 am

Just for fun, check out the Novo Serus J by Dennis Fano. It’s a contemporary take on a Jazzmaster. He makes a Tele and a Strat version of it as well.

DeathJag
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DeathJag » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:43 am

I’m kinda looking for another one. The Wildwood AV65 plays sooooo nicely. What else compares besides the (holiest of holy) vintage JMs?

NewKId
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by NewKId » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:45 am

What else besides a vintage Fender JM?

Danocaster Jazzmaster if you can find one.