I'm new!

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Monty1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

I'm new!

Post by Monty1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:22 am

Greetings fellow OSG'ers

I've just joined up to what looks like a really useful and friendly site. I've only been playing for a couple of years, so still utter rubbish, and left it a bit late in life to start but enjoying it immensely, not sure I can say the same for my neighbours. Currently I have a J Mascis JM (earlyish one with rosewood), a Gibson Firebird, Gretsch 5420 and the Electromatic version of the Duo Jet that I can never remember the correct designation for. So half of my guitars are offsets, we won't talk about the others ;)

The JM JM is currently in bits awaiting some new pots, I replaced the standard factory pots just after I got it as the pickup selector went south and the pots were a bit crackly, it came with 500k's, but I've decided I want/need to try 1m pots to get a bit more brightness so a set of CTS's are in the post to me and I'll do a complete rewire with orange drops (both are currently 22's so I'll put a 33 in the lead circuit). Also got an original fender trem spring to try out in the Squier unit but I suspect I'll eventually bung in an AVRI as I do use it to try and get a Kevin Shields sort of vibe and the arm falling out and rattling is annoying. I like the Mascis PUP's but want a little more brightness on hand to get it a bit closer to early Robert Smith and that 1980's indie sound, hopefully the new pots will get me there. If not it's only a few quid wasted.

I shall soon be posting all of the typical numpty questions for your amusement.

Monty
I like shiny new guitars but I'm intending to send them back to get them factory reliced in 30 years time

Larry Mal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: I'm new!

Post by Larry Mal » Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Welcome, Monty! You have a lot of nice guitars there, it'll be nice to hear about them as things progress.

Everyone has to start playing guitar some time, right? There's a line in a song I love called "Thank You Friends" where the singer sings, "Never too late to start" towards the end, and I've always tried to make that be my guiding thought in all things.
Back in those days, everyone knew that if you were talking about Destiny's Child, you were talking about Beyonce, LaTavia, LeToya, and Larry.

Monty1
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: I'm new!

Post by Monty1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:56 pm

Thanks Larry. Yeah, just wish I'd started playing about 50 years ago! I've got a good tutor though so making progress, regrettably he doesn't fully get the offset thing (he's a strat man) so I'm having to bring him up to speed on tone ;)
I like shiny new guitars but I'm intending to send them back to get them factory reliced in 30 years time