'Nother new dude checks in...

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Stoopy
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

'Nother new dude checks in...

Post by Stoopy » Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:15 am

Hola everyone, name's Erich, put'er there...

Been a lonnngggtime lurker here but never intro'd myself due to problems trying to log in, which seem to finally self-resolve. First and foremost I'd like to give thanks for a great website and community, definitely have enjoyed lurking here.

I'm in Northern Virginia currently, originally a longtime SoCal native which will kind of explain my guitar and music choices below. Pretty much into instro Surf music although I know that Offsets are good for much more than that, it's my thing and really about the only stuff I play very well either. Pretty much a hobby/bedroom player these days due to career stuff although as the picture may hint at, was in an instro Surf band in college years. Still play daily and maybe opportunity will avail itself to play in pubic again someday, but as long as I'm playing surf in some way or shape, I'm happy.

Anyway here's my main lineup including a few non-offsets:
  • The DiPinto Galaxie is an early model (I think?) that I spotted at a local boutique guitar shop. Doesn't have the cool switchgear like the modern Galaxie IV's do, is a MIK model, so not sure where it lies in the whole production history of those models. Although I got it as a stand-in for my old JM in the picture, it has a cool funky weirdness all it's own.
  • The JM is a 1967 model judging by the serial number and other features. It is my most prized possession, have owned it since the early 80's and if you can ever have a soul connection to an instrument, I have it to this. I love playing it but it's got so many years on it now, it's due for some restoration work and I will post a thread on it with some close-ups of some areas if anyone is interested in given some advice.
  • The Jag is a '63 model I picked up at Norm's Guitars in the mid-80's as well. Fun to play as any Jag is, it has some issues now, particularly a weak bridge pickup that is also sinking. Another subject for an upcoming thread if anyone is interested.
  • And on the other side of the obligatory MIM Strat is my Squier M-80 which, although not an offset, is a kind-of-offset-inspired shape, and deserves mention as it is SUCH an outstanding guitar, fun to play, great tone, excellent setup, it's my daily player. If the house were on fire and I could only grab two guitars to save, this would be the second one after my Jazzmaster.
  • Lastly, over there by the window is my Treholipe, another original from back in the day. Do they count as offsets? ;)

I play these through either of two setups, for a full-on tube sound I go through an original '65 6G15 Reverb tank that I have owned since the 80's and just finished restoring and refreshing, into a 65' Princeton RI, and for a fairly decent solid-state setup I go through a Surfy Bear 6G15 Solid-state reverb kit into my FM210R amp . Wife says both are way too loud for the house so I guess they['re dialed in right. Gotta have my spring reverb and heavy dwell!

Anyway, nice to meet you all!

Erich aka "Stoopy"

Todd Connelly
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: 'Nother new dude checks in...

Post by Todd Connelly » Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:51 pm

Greetings from a fellow forum newbie. I thought I held some sort of record for long time lurking at TDPRI for over a year before posting. Seems I'm not even in the running! Well done! :) Nice line up there too btw!

Cheers...............................Todd