Hi from Ohio

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
OHokie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hi from Ohio

Post by OHokie » Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:07 pm

I'm an intermediate-level jazz guy primarily, thinking about picking up my first offset. I have a Gibson ES-137 Classic I'll be unloading after it turned out it didn't work for jazz, and I'm probably going to use the cash to pick up a Jazzmaster of some sort. Not for jazz, really; I have a Godin 5th Avenue CW Kingpin II that actually produces better jazz tone than the Gibson. But I do like indie, desert, and noise/alt rock, and could use something for that.

I do have a question for those who know more about this than I do: I really like the way Jazzmasters look and sound from my limited experience, but am not really too interested in paying for an AVRI. I've looked at Classic Players, but find the black, white, and tri-burst options a bit boring. The two that do look interesting to me are the TVL signature model and the Ghost Silver HH. Should I pick up a used TVL or get the HH and use it as a hot-rodding platform?

jagstang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hi from Ohio

Post by jagstang » Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:00 am

I would say go to a store and get one into your hands. BTW, I'm a huge fan of the jmascis squier jazzmaster...

OHokie
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by OHokie » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:14 pm

I ended up just getting parts from Reverb and going from there. Bought some locking tuners, and have a Staytrem on order. I'll go with that for a while, then look at maybe slapping some wide range humbuckers on it later.

Before:

After:

mevans0324
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by mevans0324 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:24 am

I used a blacktop neck in my parts caster and love it. Good luck!

derekstudt
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by derekstudt » Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:57 am

Welcome to the forum! I'm an Ohio native as well.