NGD: My First Offset

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
jpuva
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

NGD: My First Offset

Post by jpuva » Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:41 pm

I really didn't need another guitar, but I am a sucker for Lake Placid Blue and I came across this one on Reverb. Its a Q Series, 2002-4, CIJ and its my first Jazzmaster. I mostly play Gretsches (a '65 Nashville and a newish White Penguin) but I figured if I am going to carry two guitars to a gig anyway, one should have a very different sound and I think this one fits the bill.

I was attracted to the Japanese versions because every time I've picked up an MIJ/CIJ Fender I've loved the neck, and I can't nearly say the same for MIAs. This neck is no exception. Its comfortable and my hand slides on it like glass.

One of the other reasons that I wanted to jump on this is that I've never really modded any of my guitars and I guess I'm going to jump down that rabbit hole. I've been scouting a bunch of different pickup and electronics options, so I know I have a lot of reading on this forum left to do. My plan is to get a new pick guard, load it up and then swap this one out. It should be fun.

ImageIMG_9894 by , on Flickr
ImageIMG_9896 by , on Flickr
Last edited by jpuva on Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Embenny
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: NGD: My First Offset

Post by Embenny » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:22 pm

Gorgeous! The only electric I own that isn't a Fender is a Gretsch; there is definitely a common element to the tone that appeals to me, even though they're so different.

LPB is my favourite offset colour. I'm a huge fan of mint pickguards on LPB with white pickups/knobs - consider that option. My first Offset was a '94 MIJ Jag in LPB/mint/white so that may have something to do with it...

In any case, congrats on the NGD and have fun researching pickups/mods. I strongly suggest taking a hard look at Novak for pickups...I have bought many pickups over the years, and none have exceeded the quality of his work; the JM is also his specialty, so you have so many options. But there are so many great winders right now that you basically can't go wrong...Fender, Duncan, Lollar, Fralin, Vintage Vibe, Creamery, Sunday, Kinman...the list goes on and on.
The artist formerly known as mbene085.

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rob » Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:13 am

Beautiful guitar! LPB has always been my favorite color.

jpuva
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by jpuva » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:00 pm

Thanks for the comments. LPB definitely caught my eye. I've got a Tele in that color buts its a refin and not a particularly good one, although I like everything else about that guitar. The color on this JM is definitely more vibrant.

So I've been doing some shopping for the guitar already. I've got a pickguard coming from Amazon via China (if the shipping ever cooperates) which I'm considering disposable at this point. I've read horror stories about matching the pickguard holes on MIJ/CIJs so i decided to buy a cheap one for now and it'll serve as a template for the real one that I decide on at some point.

I decided to try a set of Pork Roll Waverly pickups. There's one review of them here, and Chris, who makes them, is local to me in NJ and has been really great to deal with so far. I'm looking forward to getting those installed.

And I ordered a wiring harness from 1469Music on Ebay that includes a treble bleed mod. Oh yeah, and a really large roll of copper shielding tape!

So I'll be getting to work soon on assembling all of this. We'll see how it goes.