New To The Scene

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
ConeyIslandFrank
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New To The Scene

Post by ConeyIslandFrank » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:46 am

Hey Cool Cats!
Just joined the forum a few days ago and have been getting familiar with the site. A lot of the questions and ideas about mods I have been mulling over for my recently purchased Classic Player JM were answered as I've looked thru the topics, such as P/U swapping, pickguard and wiring options(although I really love the tortoise shell guard on my guitar right now). This phenomenon of sympathetic string vibration behind the bridge and the add on bridge thingy some people use to stop it interests me a great deal. There seems a big split about this, who does and does not like the idea of an add on for the bridge. Great food for thought though.
I have always had a soft spot for offset style guitars, although it is just recently I now understand why. 335's, SG's and Stratocasters always attracted me but Jazzmasters always peaked my interest. Just recently my son and I were up in the attic and came across my first electric guitar buried in the mess. I had forgotten about it being there a long time ago. Opening the cardboard type bluish grey mottled case, lo and behold, a '66 Harmony Bobcat resplendent in red/black sunburst paint and gold foil pickups. This was a 3/4 size take on Fender's '63 Jazzmaster. At nine years old I had no Idea how that shape would affect me later in life.
So here we are. Many years have gone by and I'm still chasing the dragon so to speak, looking for that perfect Tom Anderson Raven to scratch my offset guitar itch.
It's nice to be here. Thank you for having me.
Frankie D.

jagstang
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New To The Scene

Post by jagstang » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:58 am

hey there! ... be nice to us and post some pics of your offsets :)

Rob
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Rob » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:31 am

Welcome, Frankie. Are you talking about a buzz stop? Or simply swapping out the bridge? The latter seems to be a fairly common thing among Jazzmaster players. We look forward to seeing your Bobcat!

ConeyIslandFrank
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by ConeyIslandFrank » Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:53 am

A buzz stop! That's what it's called? Thank you, I couldn't remember. Bahahaha.
The Harmony Bobcat will make an appearance once the Christmas decorations come down from the attic. Then I have to figure out how to post pix on the OSG site. I've really enjoyed the "dressing room" and am already envisioning a Sherwood green/maple board w/mint guard JM in my future, much to my wife's chagrin. The ideas and custom builds on this site are great. Thanks for the welcome aboard.
Frankie