New from North Carolina

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
_chilly_chilton
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New from North Carolina

Post by _chilly_chilton » Fri May 05, 2017 5:49 pm

Hi all,
I've been lurking on the forum for a while, and finally bit the bullet and signed up. I've primarily played SGs and strats for most of the time that I've been playing guitar, but somewhere in there, I've bought/sold/traded about 30 guitars, including a few jags. I really enjoyed a lot of aspects of the jags, but I could never get along with the short scale. Oddly enough, even though a Jazzmaster seemed like the logical answer to this dilemma, I never managed to get one. For a while, I switched between a strat, a tele deluxe, and a tele thinline as my main guitars. Although I really liked all those guitars, only the strat made enough of an impression to stick around. My main tones for most of what I play (worship music and weird ambient stuff) are loud, Vox-driven cleans, so the resonance of the thinline always worked well and stuck in the back of my mind.
Fast forward to last month, I finally realized that instead of buying and selling more guitars, I could just put one together that combined everything that I liked into one instrument. I picked up a Saylor guitars thinline Jazzmaster body, A (massive) 10-16" radius Warmoth neck with a maple fingerboard, and a Mastery bridge/vibrato. This is the sum of those parts so far:

I've ordered a set of Curtis Novak JM-WRs that should be headed this way in the next couple days. Those will be connected to a Rothstein guitars wiring harness with a G&L-style passive tone stack in place of the rhythm circuit, so it'll be the farthest thing from a traditional JM, but will be more useful for how I play. I'll start a real build thread eventually to keep up with everything. Thanks for looking!

Ryan

LPTyler
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Re: New from North Carolina

Post by LPTyler » Sun May 07, 2017 7:03 am

That's going to be a great guitar!! I hope you enjoy it!

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:10 pm

That looks nice. Are you going to have the option to split the coils or get out of phase tones?

Should be a really fun guitar ;D

_chilly_chilton
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by _chilly_chilton » Sun May 07, 2017 6:37 pm

No coil splitting as of right now. Due to the Rothstein super mod, the rhythm circuit will be passive treble and bass roll-off controls, and the switch will be for series/parallel. the main controls will be two volumes instead of volume and tone. When both pickups are in series, the 3-way switch will act as a killswitch.

shorthairedmetal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shorthairedmetal » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:13 pm

Off to a great start!

Who finished the body? And how did the Warmoth neck fit in there? Always been curious on the quality of the Saylor bodies
Fender Toronado Deluxe Series
Fender Telecaster '52 Reissue MIJ
Squier Telecaster '72 Deluxe

_chilly_chilton
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by _chilly_chilton » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:38 am

I have had the guitar finished for about a month now. It sounds great, and the semi-hollow body adds a sort of airiness to it that it pretty unique. It's an MJT-finished body, so the finish itself is immaculate. I bought used, so there are a few little dings and some checking, but nothing bad. Everything fit together perfectly and it's all solid. My only gripe with it is that I miss contours, which has kinda been killing me live. For that reason, I threw it on reverb yesterday, and I'm waiting to see if I get any interest in it. If so, I might sell it on and build a true solid-body JM. Nothing at all is wrong with the build, I just have found such a big, square body to be a bear for me, personally.