Hi from Sheffield!

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Vanadeo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Hi from Sheffield!

Post by Vanadeo » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:10 am

Another one here from Sheffield :D.. My Name is Tom. Likewise been lurking this site for a few weeks now reading up on modding guitars. I currently play in a rock band called Sinners sermon and for that band I use a Les Paul and a Strat, however my roots are Alt rock/punk and for that reason I recently invested in a Squier VM mustang.

I will be modding this guitar as time goes by, the firsdt mod will be the installation of a humbucker and I have been routing around for info on how to do it.. I think i got it now just waiting for the rest of the bits and bobs to come then I can get started. I shall be posting pictures :D.

Anyway be cool to be a part of this community and see what everyone else has and other projects too.

Tom.

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Hi from Sheffield!

Post by Dan_Q » Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:24 am

welcome! i'm new here too. how is the VM mustang in stock form? i've been thinking about one for some time.

Vanadeo
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Vanadeo » Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:16 pm

Dan_Q wrote:welcome! i'm new here too. how is the VM mustang in stock form? i've been thinking about one for some time.
Hey man thanks, Likewise! :).

Stock form the guitar is fine. Initially I was in two minds my self due to the lack of contouring but finally gave in. Upon holding the guitar i noticed that the body is so thin that it doesnt really need them. the neck is a chunky C size however the chunkyness is compansated with the short scale of the neck which to me still makes it nice to play. It is a little different to play lead on especially on the higher register as the fret spacing is quite small, I also noticed a difference in feel due to the vintage style frets, great for belting chords and power chords out on though.

A lot of people have been complainign about the bridge but I'm not touchy person when it comes to fretbuzz or slight ratteling as i can never hear through the amp, however I have never had an issue with it my self, its just a case of making sure the saddle adjustment screws dont come lose, Which I assume they will every so often due to the vibrations.. this can be fixed. The tremolo stays in tune quite well when used lightly but of course without proper setup and a bit of fileing on the nut it will go out with excessive use. The tuners feel really cheap but thats an easy mod, they do workm quite well but the plastic feels really tacky.

Soundwise it is .. okay. the neck pickup has the nice deep stratish sound you would expect and sounds good to my ear, when neck and bridge are together it sounds nice. The bridge pickup to me sounds weak and a bit on the tinny side whih is why I am swapping it out. By no means does this mean you have to go full humbucker though, that's just me being on the adventurous side :P.

All in all if you like offset guitars and you dig the mustang.. I say go for it just be prepared to do a little modding.., I dunno i mean you may even like it just the way it is.

Hope this helps!

tom.

Dan_Q
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dan_Q » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:43 am

Vanadeo wrote:
Dan_Q wrote:welcome! i'm new here too. how is the VM mustang in stock form? i've been thinking about one for some time.
Hey man thanks, Likewise! .

Stock form the guitar is fine. Initially I was in two minds my self due to the lack of contouring but finally gave in. Upon holding the guitar i noticed that the body is so thin that it doesnt really need them. the neck is a chunky C size however the chunkyness is compansated with the short scale of the neck which to me still makes it nice to play. It is a little different to play lead on especially on the higher register as the fret spacing is quite small, I also noticed a difference in feel due to the vintage style frets, great for belting chords and power chords out on though.

A lot of people have been complainign about the bridge but I'm not touchy person when it comes to fretbuzz or slight ratteling as i can never hear through the amp, however I have never had an issue with it my self, its just a case of making sure the saddle adjustment screws dont come lose, Which I assume they will every so often due to the vibrations.. this can be fixed. The tremolo stays in tune quite well when used lightly but of course without proper setup and a bit of fileing on the nut it will go out with excessive use. The tuners feel really cheap but thats an easy mod, they do workm quite well but the plastic feels really tacky.

Soundwise it is .. okay. the neck pickup has the nice deep stratish sound you would expect and sounds good to my ear, when neck and bridge are together it sounds nice. The bridge pickup to me sounds weak and a bit on the tinny side whih is why I am swapping it out. By no means does this mean you have to go full humbucker though, that's just me being on the adventurous side .

All in all if you like offset guitars and you dig the mustang.. I say go for it just be prepared to do a little modding.., I dunno i mean you may even like it just the way it is.

Hope this helps!

tom.
Hi Tom,

thanks for taking the time to write that out chap i appreciate it. i'm sort of going through a phase at the moment of trying things out which i've always fancied owning, hence my recent squier jag and jazz partscaster, the mustang / duosonic is on the list for next.

I like the look of those new fender models but the squiers are just so cheap. this info will help me decide when the time comes :)