New Offset Owner Checking In

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Cassady
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

New Offset Owner Checking In

Post by Cassady » Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:04 pm

Howdy, folks. I'm a new offset owner checking in.

I've been a Jazzmaster admirer for a long time. It's hard not to when you're a blues fan from Lincoln, Nebraska. The long-time Lincoln resident and one of the last of his generation of Chicago blues player Magic Slim was mostly a Jazzmaster player.

When I saw that I could get 15% off on a Labor Day sale, I got a 60s Classic Lacquer Jazzmaster. Here it is next to my 60s Classic Stratocaster. They're both fine instruments and now I'm all set to play some surf!

By the way, my user name comes from the beat generation fixture Neal Cassady who was Dean Moriarty in "On The Road".

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Offset Owner Checking In

Post by julius2790 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:04 pm

I've heard of Magic Slim but never checked his music out. Not a huge fan of his style of blues but I'm interested why he chose a Jazzmaster over one of the more popular styles. Did he ever explain why? He's a BIG guy.

And Cassady...I read "The First Third" years ago and thought parts of it were amazing. I think some of those guys were doing a lot of speed and that seems to have both helped and hurt their output. But definitely one of the coolest characters in one of my favorite books ever! I think he was also one of the central characters in "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test" too. One of those guys that inspired some very gifted writers.

gypsyseven
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gypsyseven » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:35 am

Welcome and congrats!!!!

Cassady
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Cassady » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:29 pm

julius2790 wrote:I've heard of Magic Slim but never checked his music out. Not a huge fan of his style of blues but I'm interested why he chose a Jazzmaster over one of the more popular styles. Did he ever explain why? He's a BIG guy.
Magic was a huge man, both in physical size and in stage presence and charisma. I don't know why, but I never thought to ask him why he played a Jazzmaster--it was definitely the instrument that he was most identified with, even though he played a Les Paul quite a bit toward the end of his life.

He and his band, the Teardrops, used to play here a lot before he actually moved here in the mid-1990s and it was always an event--they'd play for a whole week at a time, packing the tiny Zoo Bar every night; they almost always played a run of shows around Christmas and I'd try to take in one or two. His biting Jazzmaster tone was the first really distinctive guitar sound that I remember discovering. Magic passed away in 2013 and the only remaining guys of his generation of Chicago blues players that are Buddy Guy and Eddie Clearwater.

jakeisjake
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jakeisjake » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:01 am

julius2790 wrote:I've heard of Magic Slim but never checked his music out. Not a huge fan of his style of blues but I'm interested why he chose a Jazzmaster over one of the more popular styles. Did he ever explain why? He's a BIG guy.

And Cassady...I read "The First Third" years ago and thought parts of it were amazing. I think some of those guys were doing a lot of speed and that seems to have both helped and hurt their output. But definitely one of the coolest characters in one of my favorite books ever! I think he was also one of the central characters in "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test" too. One of those guys that inspired some very gifted writers.
the bus came by and i got on, it was where it all began;
it was cowboy neal at the wheel on the bus to neverever land...
If I was a byrd, I'd be mighty sore every time they shut the door and I don't think I'd sing...

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:44 am

Yes! The part in the book where he was just continuously throwing and catching the hammer has stuck in my memory. Had to be drug-related behavior. What a character.