Greetings from SK!

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Pantslessdan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Greetings from SK!

Post by Pantslessdan » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:53 pm

Hey everyone,

I made an account to have access to the search function. I'm building a semi-hollow jazzmaster with a budget of about $1,000 CAD and this was the first piece in my offset journey: Image
This it how it looks as of a few days ago: Image. I did 2 coats of Minwax dark walnut and have just been doing multiple thin coats of tru-oil since. That pic was about 9 coats and I'm at about 13 now. I'm actually not sure how many more I should do. Body is from Saylor btw.

The rest of the build of parts I actually need to buy will be Mastery bridge + thimbles, trem assembly from the classic player models, wiring kit from sigler music, seymour duncan sjm-2's and a clear pickguard from WD music. I'm going to put a design underneath like I did with my strat: Image. (Board isn't current btw).

I've got a neck that I think is from a 2007ish Squire strat that will be coming from a weird franken-tele I bought from L&M for $100. I'm not really including it in my budget because I've had it for so long, which is why I can go for more expensive parts like the mastery or doing the pickguard+wiring+pickups myself. Eventually I'd like to put a Squier J Mascis JM on it.

The idea to assemble my own actually came from comparing the JMJM to a CP JM in store. I loved the feel of the neck on the JMJM, but the hardware was pretty so-so. On the other hand, the CP JM had awesome sounding pickups and the trem felt so much more solid, but I absolutely hated the neck. I didn't want to pay ~$1100CAD for the CP which I didn't really like, or pay ~$600CAD for the JMJM, so I started looking up parts and one thing lead to another and next thing I know I'm buying a semi-hollow jazzmaster body from Saylor.

Thanks for reading!
Last edited by Pantslessdan on Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:33 pm, edited 4 times in total.

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Greetings from SK!

Post by julius2790 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:10 pm

I've really wanted a thinline Jazzmaster for a while. I love that stain. It's really close to what I'm trying to do on a guitar I'm putting together.

I have the JMJM and love the neck on that guitar. I'd be very interested to hear what the semi hollow sounds like since I've never really heard one much less had a chance to play one.

Pantslessdan
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Pantslessdan » Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:08 pm

Actually since I made this post I did a test fit between that Squier neck I mentioned in my post. Turns out it doesn't fit in the neck slot but the neck off my 2005 Fender Lite ash strat fits perfectly. It's also my favourite neck ever, its birdseye maple, soft v contour, and a nice satin finish. There's one on ebay which I'm planning on picking up when I need it. I've also bought everything else except a trem arm, switch tip, and strap buttons. I'm going to make a progress post in the mods/projects board soon.

julius2790
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by julius2790 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:33 pm

Please do post and, if you have time, would love to hear the guitar!

andy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by andy » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Woah! Another person from Saskatchewan. Nice guitars!
Send me western swing vids