Howdy from a West Coast guitarslinger

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Hack
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Howdy from a West Coast guitarslinger

Post by Hack » Wed Aug 24, 2016 11:25 am

Hey everyone -

I kept finding this forum when I was searching for info on my guitars (most recently a bound Tele thinline that I am building) so I figured I needed to actually join up since OSG has been such a great resource for me.

The quick rundown: Grew up listening to old country, but when I started playing professionally as a kid in the mid 80s up the Seattle area it was in alt rock bands. I was lucky enough to be there for the whole Grunge thing. In the mid-90s I moved to the Los Angeles area where I signed on with a couple cowpunk/psychobilly and later on, Alt country/NewGrass bands. Toured around the West some, had a lot of fun. I have a very solid record of leaving a band and going on to something else just as the band or it's individual members actually become quite successful in the music biz...not exactly sure what that says about me, but I've always been happy for them and equally happy with my own obscurity - I just like to play music. If I can make a little money at it, all the better. Through all of that, my main go-to weapons of choice where both pawnshop prizes: a '62 Jazzmaster and an early 80s Telecaster. Ive had a few others along the way - like one particularly tasty '70s Stratocaster and a couple Gibsons - but those two seemed to be my standbys. Always kept my stage rig simple: Either a blackface Bandmaster through a 2x12 cab or a Silverface Dlx reverb, a little compression and a little tube screamer if it was needed. That's pretty much it. Worked great for me.

Now I live in a little cabin by a river in SW Oregon where the only live music venues are the occasional dive bar - but it's all good in my book. Still playing Americana Alt country and a little folksy stuff - maybe some Irish stuff here and there - but its all just for fun. I'm no polished guitarist, should be much better considering how long I've played - which is why I go by 'Hack'. But I do love to play - isn't that the important thing? If I can figure out how to upload some photos I'll share a thing or two.

Looking forward to getting to know folks here, learning lots and hopefully contributing some too. Cheers, y'all!
I do it all the hard way.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Howdy from a West Coast guitarslinger

Post by zhivago » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:39 pm

Welcome to the site!

Would love to see pics of your guitars :)
Resident Spartan.