Hello from the Hudson Valley!

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
megamaeng
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hello from the Hudson Valley!

Post by megamaeng » Thu Jul 28, 2016 2:28 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm finally posting after lurking for ages. I'm mainly interested in learning to build a parts guitar. I started out like a lot of people with a squier j mascis. I recently acquired an Orange thunderverb and discovered the joys of high gain tube amps. I also discovered the joys of not being encumbered by pedals which was what I was doing with the squier. Now I'd like to build up a guitar or find a production model that will give me a higher output than the squier so I don't have to use boost pedals.

I do know I love the jazzmaster shape and scale so I looked into everything from the Jim root jazz to the Lee Ranaldo sig for ones with humbuckers as well as looking into the TVL with the intention to swap the pickups out to something hotter. But I'm not much of a fan of the finish of the TVL and glossy neck. To be honest I really like the neck of the squier but I've been advised to enjoy it as it is and build up something from scratch if I want to upgrade stuff.

So this is where I'm at. I hope to get some more info about building, as well as learning about pickups, and other ways to get the higher gain sound I want. In the end tho don't be surprised if I get myself a nice vintage stock guitar and use a boost pedal. ;D