Hello Offsetters

New to the board? Start a post to tell us about yourself and/or learn more about our other members.
Mojo Johnson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Hello Offsetters

Post by Mojo Johnson » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:50 am

Hi everyone - I'm new here and new-ish to the world of offset guitars, but I have caught the bug pretty hard and I'm really excited about my next gear purchase, which WILL be a Jazzmaster.

First - how I got here:

I've been playing guitar for 25 years or more and playing in working bands for most of my life. I've gone through many musical and gear phases but most notably I've been a "Strat guy" for the last 10 years or so. I've also used Teles as my primary gigging guitars for several years. As my band's focus has lately shifted toward more of an "indie rock" vibe I've found myself gravitating toward tones and style of Fender offsets.

I've always LOVED the shape of Jaguars and Jazzmasters but I was averse to the tremolo and bridge assembly. I've never been a tremolo user at all so the idea of a hardtail on an offset body intrigued me. Last year I scratched the itch by purchasing a Fender Blacktop Jaguar. After a few months and some serious modding I ended up putting Jazzmaster pickups in it (along with upgraded pots, caps, switch and jack) and now it really rocks and chimes. However, there is something missing (well, a couple of things):

1.) I feel like the hardtail, while great for sustain and stability, takes away from the vibe and sterilizes the guitar a bit.

2.) The Jag is a short scale guitar which makes transitioning from my Start or Tele to it and back a little awkward. I actually develop wrist pain if I play it for too long. Quickly remedied by going back to a 25.5" scale length.

3.) No rhythm circuit - I feel like I would use it a lot because I like "presets." I'd actually prefer to use it as a "lead circuit" because I like neck tone for lead and in-between tones for rhythm.

Next Steps:

I am GASing for a Jazzmaster. 26.5" scale length + proper tremolo and rhythm circuit. I'm going to get one within the next month.

Jazzmasters I've been vetting out:

Classic Player[/b] - Looks cool, great build quality, but the Tune-o-matic bridge and close trem plate scare me. I have not been able to find one locally to try out so I'd likely have to buy one sigh unseen.

J Mascis - Same issues as the CP + I hate the gold pickguard and it says "Squier" on the headstock. On the plus side it's a great value for the money, the neck is sound, and I've been able to play them in my local GC.

Squier VM - Vintage correct - whether good or bad, I'm not sure. Also seems like the hardware and pots, etc. are cheap and would need to be upgraded (for me - I gig regularly I definitely need reliability).

Troy Van Leeuwan Jazzmaster - This is THE one that I really want. A little out of my budget I think but I would be willing to sell some stuff and save up for a while longer to get one. Also none in my area but I'd buy one of these sight unseen in a heartbeat if I had the scratch. Troy Van Leeuwan is one of my favorite players and I LOVE his style and the styling of this guitar.

60's Lacquer - At a couple hundred dollars less than the TVL, with all the same features this is a pretty attractive buy, but not as aesthetically pleasing (to me) as the TVL.

MIJ JM-66 - I've read mixed reviews on these. I'll never be able to play one before I buy it and it'd likely have to come from overseas - that'd be a roll of the dice.

So this is a lot more than just a "hi, I'm the new guy" thread because I would like to solicit your feedback on what Jazzmaster might be the best buy for me. Any feedback is appreciated.

A little more about me:

I play lead guitar primarily - I use fuzz and a lot of delay and have a very lagato, sustaining style. Probably not a style most commonly associated with Jazzmasters, but fuzz does wonders.
I am a big time effects user and incorporate a Digitech Whammy pedal into a lot of my lead work.
I like making weird sounds on guitar and making the guitar sound like other instruments.
Rhythmically, I am a funk guy at heart and usually switch between choppy funk rhythm mand soaring leads throughout the course of every song.
I am a Vox AC30 fanatic.

Thanks!!

Jay

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Re: Hello Offsetters

Post by zhivago » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:40 am

Welcome to the site Jay! :)

I am more of a vintage guy, so I am not too up-to-date on the newer offsets, but I am sure one of the young guns round here will chime in with some info in no time! 8)
Resident Spartan.

Mojo Johnson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mojo Johnson » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:09 am

Thanks, Zhivago! I've been admiring your collection!

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:12 am

Welcome to the forum. Might I suggest you also ask the question about the different models in the 'New & Reissue" forum? I suspect it will get a lot more eyes than here.

Also - consider the Roadworn Jazzmaster if the classic 60's specs are to your liking but not the look (I don't like the color either). Same guitar, except it's in sunburst with the relic job. The relic on these is really light. Slap a Tor pickguard on it if you don't like the white one.

Also - a used AVRI is a really solid option.

Mojo Johnson
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mojo Johnson » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:29 am

Thank you for the suggestions - I will take that into consideration and light up a new thread.