Lift To Experience Are Back!

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
rank
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Lift To Experience Are Back!

Post by rank » Sat Jun 04, 2016 11:17 am

Apparently, Lift to Experience played their first live show in 15 years recently & are going to be re-releasing their album to celebrate the 15 anniversary & are working on a new album. I can't wait! I'm going to go play my Jaguar now...
We are merely moving shadows.

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Lift To Experience Are Back!

Post by wingnutkj » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:11 am

I'm excited!

They recently posted an excerpt of one of the songs from the forthcoming Texas Jerusalem Crossroads reissue.
Back in the studio neck deep in the heart where Lift originally recorded The Texas-Jerusalem Crossroads remixing the album the way it should have been mixed. Excited for those who never got to experience the band live to hear a more beautiful union of what we sounded like then. After years spent being castrated, it's great to finally have our balls back. 'Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!'
Sounds much heavier than the original.

Fun story:
A couple of days after Josh T Pearson played the Dirty Three-curated All Tomorrow's Parties festival (2007), he played a show in Glasgow. Having just arrived back from the festival where I'd been suitably impressed by both his set and his prowess on the water-slides, I went along. On my way up the hill from the station to the gig, I passed a beardy bloke who was looking a bit lost, and who I thought I recognised from the festival (admittedly, there was no shortage of beardy blokes at the festival). I asked him if he was looking for the gig, and he was, so we walked up the hill together and chatted.

It turned out that he was also called Josh, was from Texas, and had been roomies with JTP way back when. He was hanging out with him for a bit again, while he toured round. He told me some cool stuff about how JTP had always practising crazy chords and figuring out how to get whatever sounds were in his head out through the amp. I confessed that I didn't know much about JTP's history - despite it being the sort of thing I am very much into, Lift to Experience had passed me by, so he told me to check out the Texas Jerusalem Crossroads.

The gig was pretty good, although JTP had blown out his voice at the festival and so it was a slightly (but not much) quieter affair.

A while later, I was in Monorail Records, and they a copy of the Texas Jerusalem Crossroads out on display. I bought it. Looking at the cover, Josh T Pearson looked very different to the gaunt bearded cowboy he was when I saw him, but to his right was a familiar face. Turns out I'd been chatting to Josh "The Bear" Browning, Lift To Experience's bassist all night, and he'd never though to mention his part in the band.
Kenny

HorseyBoy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by HorseyBoy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 2:40 pm

That is good news. Not sure how I first came across "The Texas Jerusalem Crossroads" when it first came out but it sure as hell grabbed my attention. Such a strange, singular record, and I've always wondered why it pretty much sank without a trace.

starflower
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by starflower » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:51 pm

These are the days, racing toward us with blood on their teeth and lips...

Love that line...And looking forward to new stuff!
Sound Director & Composer at Sangwha / General Manager at Moollon Guitars. https://soundcloud.com/andi-roselund

jellodog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jellodog » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:50 am

rank wrote:Apparently, Lift to Experience played their first live show in 15 years recently & are going to be re-releasing their album to celebrate the 15 anniversary & are working on a new album. I can't wait! I'm going to go play my Jaguar now...
Whoa! I'd never heard of this band before. Thanks man, for posting. Just listened to a bunch of stuff on YouTube. That Jazzmaster sounds immense!

Does anybody know what pickups he had in that thing?
Last edited by jellodog on Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:53 pm

Fun story:
A couple of days after Josh T Pearson played the Dirty Three-curated All Tomorrow's Parties festival (2007), he played a show in Glasgow. Having just arrived back from the festival where I'd been suitably impressed by both his set and his prowess on the water-slides, I went along. On my way up the hill from the station to the gig, I passed a beardy bloke who was looking a bit lost, and who I thought I recognised from the festival (admittedly, there was no shortage of beardy blokes at the festival). I asked him if he was looking for the gig, and he was, so we walked up the hill together and chatted.

It turned out that he was also called Josh, was from Texas, and had been roomies with JTP way back when. He was hanging out with him for a bit again, while he toured round. He told me some cool stuff about how JTP had always practising crazy chords and figuring out how to get whatever sounds were in his head out through the amp. I confessed that I didn't know much about JTP's history - despite it being the sort of thing I am very much into, Lift to Experience had passed me by, so he told me to check out the Texas Jerusalem Crossroads.

The gig was pretty good, although JTP had blown out his voice at the festival and so it was a slightly (but not much) quieter affair.

A while later, I was in Monorail Records, and they a copy of the Texas Jerusalem Crossroads out on display. I bought it. Looking at the cover, Josh T Pearson looked very different to the gaunt bearded cowboy he was when I saw him, but to his right was a familiar face. Turns out I'd been chatting to Josh "The Bear" Browning, Lift To Experience's bassist all night, and he'd never though to mention his part in the band.
Fun post-script to the fun story:
I went to see Lift to Experience in Edinburgh last night, which was fantastic. BUT it seemed that the bearded man I thought I recognised was not the bassist, but was in fact the drummer, EXCEPT he is called Andy, so how could that be? I spoke to him afterwards, and he confirmed he wasn't hanging out at ATP or in Glasgow with JTP back then, and neither was the bass-player, and although he now has a thick black beard and the bass player doesn't, on the album cover it WAS the bass player who had the thick black beard. So I don't know who the mystery bearded man was!

Obligatory offset content - JTP played his Jaguar throughout the show. It was an amazing show, and if you get the chance to see them, you should take it.
Kenny