Happy Meals - Fruit Juice EP and Apero

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Happy Meals - Fruit Juice EP and Apero

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 24, 2016 6:20 am

Happy Meals new EP is finally out after some production delays due to one of a kind hand marbled sleeves.

They are Scottish and based in my home city and Night School records are a stones throw from the Shadowplay homeworld and therefore it is my patriotic duty to big them up..tae fuck! J'adore their playful tropical electropop that awakens the auld alliance by flitting between English and Francais and has me dancing like lace glove and bangle period Madonna, before slathering myself with a generous basting of Vics VapoRub for the aceeed climaxxx.

Whole (mini) elpee streams here; Happy Meals - Fruit Juice.

Previous (mini) album Apero which was more retrofuturistelectrokosmischedisko

Happy Meals - Apero

I know OSG members Whisper-it and Slow Pop are fans but perhaps there are a few more hiding in the tropical ferns?

Fun for all the family and unlike their mechanically recovered namesake 100% pink slime free and the record doesn't come with a 'choking hazard' sticker.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Happy Meals - Fruit Juice EP and Apero

Post by Slow-Pop » Tue May 24, 2016 11:13 am

Yes! I just put in an order for this one. Thanks for the reminder!

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue May 24, 2016 11:52 am

This perfectly rounds out a little Night School lump order I've been working up towards, thanks!
Night School wrote:FRUIT JUICE comes with an exclusive fanzine prepared by Happy Meals called Tomorrow’s Cookbook.
It sounds like as with any proper Happy Meal, Ronald MacDhòmhnaill sticks a prize in the box!--and one far less likely to meet its fate by cherry bomb courtesy of your friendly neighborhood psychopathic tween (who probably prefers the Anarchist Cookbook):

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed May 25, 2016 1:57 am

nanamour wrote:This perfectly rounds out a little Night School lump order I've been working up towards, thanks!
Night School wrote:FRUIT JUICE comes with an exclusive fanzine prepared by Happy Meals called Tomorrow’s Cookbook.
It sounds like as with any proper Happy Meal, Ronald MacDhòmhnaill sticks a prize in the box!--and one far less likely to meet its fate by cherry bomb courtesy of your friendly neighborhood psychopathic tween (who probably prefers the Anarchist Cookbook):
The wee book has a gear list in it, Mr Korg will be very happy! I'm hoping this isn't a spoiler but the marbled cover excecuted onto a plastic bag and then shipped with the record in a disco sleeve, oddly in the case of our copies black which doesn't really work as well as white would but it's a 5 second job to swap in a white one.

The new Ela Orleans is up for preorder at the moment...joy to the (under)world!

D

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Thu May 26, 2016 4:58 pm

Do I get extra obscure points for mentioning that I'm more of a fan of Steiner Musk, the freak-folk band featuring all of Happy Meals and half of The Cosmic Dead (that I'm pretty sure was put together just to fill a slot in tonight's line-up at Nice N Sleazy')?

OK - total cop-out, I was still partaking of the post-company-meeting drinks tab when I could have been checking them out, and the lure of free whisky was too much.

But really: I vaguely know Lewis through the Cosmic Dead, and I'm quite impressed that both The Deid and Happy Meals seem to have enough of a global appeal that they get to play all kinds of interesting foreign places.
Kenny

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Thu May 26, 2016 5:05 pm

(Also I'm drunk and the taxi home was so liberally perfumed by pine air fresheners that I'm wondering if I need to run a bath to rid myself of the stench)
Kenny

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:09 am

Happy Meals are now trading as 'Free Love' and have a new elpee out in a month or so called 'Luxury Hits'. :-*

There's four Free Love songs out on the digital three of them you can Bandcamp buy but sadly I had to go to itunes for 'Playing as Punks as it seemed unavailable in the the shops.

Free Love - Playing as Punks

Free Love - Synchronicity

Free Love - Pushing Too Hard

Free Love -July

Borrowed from Monorail where you can put your towel down for a copy.
Luxury Hits is an open-hearted love letter to possible futures. Trans-temporal projection through pop music for dancefloors. The music is about breaking through the limitations of our surroundings, not through escapism but defining a new reality on our own terms and breathing it into existence. The record is a tropical soup of sonic utopias - balearic, acid, italo, synthpop, psychedelia - served in the mercurial bowl of HERE AND NOW.

Free Love is the latest manifestation of Scottish duo Suzanne Rodden and Lewis Cook (FKA Happy Meals) - a continuation and progression of their utopian dance pop experiments released on Night School Records and Optimo which have seen them shortlist nominated for Scottish Album of the Year and performing across the globe. Touring across Europe supporting Liars and The Flaming Lips, and with festival shows as far as Austin, Moscow and Bangalore, the band have become notorious for their sensual live ceremonies. Using a table of all-hardware electronics, Free Love harness a charismatic chaos and unpredictable energy that sets them apart as one of the most exciting artists of 2018.
For me it's really nice hearing folk discoing in a Scottish accent and I love how she sings in French occasionally to stop the suave Scottish sophistication becoming overwhelmingl.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:05 am

Ever wonder what your secondary school French teacher would sound like if she was in a tropical electropop band? Really? That's pretty much all I thought about while doing my verbs back in the early 80's.

The Free Love (FKA Happy Meals) EP (more like a mini elpee IMO) is out in the wild and it's a bubbling potion of bittersweet Scottish accented pop. With this record they seem to have dived into the sparkling pop ocean they have been paddling in the shallows of over the last 3 records. The preorder vinyl seems delayed and I'd ideally have waited for it to show up before listening but we've had a few songs as digital singles for a while and young Coven Shadowplay were having none of that, so the digtal has been near inescapable over the last few days.

Tasting notes; Marie Davidson, Altered Images, Strawberry Switchblade, Shannon, Patrick Cowley, Italio, Tom Tom Club, New Order’s French penpals, Arthur Baker, John Robie, Raw Silk...

If you've ever imagined Strawberry Switchblade enjoying a francophile post Acid umbrella garnished cocktail with Patrick Cowley and Shannon at a tropical yoga retreat in French Polynesia...

...then listen to the album...

Free Love - Luxury Hits

Or if you've only got time for one you could give Playing as Punks a whirl since it's got one of those arcane devices with six strings on it.

And here they are playingEP track Pushing Too Hard in a typical Glasgow Tenement hoose....Très jolie

They are all hardware and no computers if that matters to you and cracking live.

If you want something less pop check out their other records up thread. Here's Happy Meals - 'May You Be The Mother' from the previous record Full Ashram Devotional Ceremony (Volumes IV - VI) .

D