The Nordic psych/folk/forest rune tape echo band thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Nordic psych/folk/forest rune tape echo band thread

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:38 am

nanamour wrote:
mijmog wrote:
shadowplay wrote: In the Wake of King Fripp
I'm loving this - thanks David.
I'll join in chanting the praises, great stuff.
Absolute apologies for this being literally a thousand miles off topic but if you like the sound of Heldon and want to see a different side to them I SUPER recommend the Interface elpee from 77'. It's almost ridiculously ahead of the contemporary gobbing game, scrying the ether to draw down tangled strands of pulsating FrancoKosmichePostPunkCosmicDisco. Even better is that it's easy to buy now since Superior Viaduct have re-issued it!

True story...I originally bought this elpee due to Snooker legend Steve 'Interesting ' Davis, I can't remember where I saw him mention it but I knew he was an apex collector of Euro prog and experimental music and I took a punt on this particular album based on the sleeve which in the end mirrored it's incredible contents.

Heldon-Interface the 20 minute title track

Heldon-Jet girl

Heldon - Les Soucoupes volantes vertes a shortie which is also selected for; Cosmic Machine: The Sequel: A Voyage Across French Cosmic & Electronic Avantgarde 70s-80s. Some folk might remember me bigging up volume one in the French Disco thread which wasn't actually about Disco Francias...not that it stopped me from making it all about the ohlala.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:30 am

^^^ Steve Davis is the man when it comes to prog! I nearly freaked when I first found out that. He's been really supportive of some of my friends bands: Diagonal and Baron (very much worth checking out) and has invited them on to his radio show. His collection is meant to be ridiculous, how else are you meant to spend all the prize money?

Thanks for those extra Heldon links, both yours and Nanamour's posts are providing great work listening therapy.

If anyone fancies a break from the fuzz and wishes to reside in some forest-jazz for a bit, check out Eple Trio's double album ‘In the Clearing / In the Cavern’.

bandcamp link

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:58 am

mijmog wrote:^^^ Steve Davis is the man when it comes to prog!
I heard years ago that he was obsessed with Magma and had a huge record collection, then I heard he'd lost the collection a flood.

I heard him recently on Radiofive when I was driving kids to school talking about djing out (with Surgeon!) and his love for left of the dial techno. Sadly, Nicky Campbell was as usual trying to turn every musical conversation towards the flipping Beatles, as if they are some sort of under-appreciated act toiling in obscurity, to but Steve was having none of it and told him flat he was into very different music..

Davis generally seems one of the few celebs with interesting taste. You always hear the likes of Chris Packham trumpet their 'alternative' tastes but one look at him filling in for Jarvis Cocker shows that's far from the case, since it's a deeply obvious and ordinary (down the student disco) section. Maybe I'm not in the Radio6 demographic but if I was king I would cleanse that whole station (and every other BBC outpost) of celeb musician DJ's. they are to a man shite to the power ten.

Thanks for the Eple Trio recommendation. I just bought Universal Cycle and am looking forward to it arriving. This has been a great thread, I've so enjoyed following the Nordic Willo The Wisp through the birch forest, to an enchanted glade surrounded by great trees hung with magical record recommendations.

I wonder if you'd be intoSaman by Hildur Guðnadóttir. Does Iceland still count? When I heard the cello on the Eple Trio track Setting Foot on Another Planet it made me think of her, though she's way more minimal.

That song also made me think of the 90's Swedish band Thirteen Moons. The guitar on this is IMO gorgeous; Thirteen Moons - Origins and a song with singing and even more elegant guitar (strat) Thirteen Moons - Mowgli And Baloo and heres' to songs someone of youtube has put together; Suddenly One Summer/ Undercurrent (they are in this order on the album. Some folk won't like the sax but I guess you won't be among them. it's an album I bought when it came out and keep going back to through the years and all three albums are IMO worth a punt (some deliciously bittersweet guitar on this).

D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Sun Jun 19, 2016 2:57 pm

shadowplay wrote: IMO one of the very best Nordic (roughly) Post Punk bands IMO are Moral. Their album And Life Is has bee re-issued and if you don't know it, it's worth a look.
! I actually got my hands on the And Life Is LP just a week or two ago and I've been in love ever since. A sapphire in the crown jewels of this kind of stuff, seriously gorgeous and the singer's voice -as intimate as she is detached- really elevates everything to another plane. I chanced on clicking a link you posted to Dance of the Dolls in another thread a while back and it was love at first listen. Glad you posted them again here so I could say thank you!

And mijmog, huge thanks for the Eple Trio recommend, Universal Cycle (and the Saman LP by Ms. Guðnadóttir shadowplay linked) have been a calming force in a hectic afternoon of studying for exams. So much fantastic music totally new to me has come from this thread...really, thanks guys :)

While we're going in a jazzy mood (sort of): [mijmog there's a heavy chance you know them] I've been coming back to Morte Macabre's album Symphonic Holocaust a lot lately; it's an album of horror film theme covers, but they weave them with the silver birch bark of the high points of Progg, jazz, forest folk, and film soundtrack music (w/ gratuitous Mellotron content!) together in the most seamless and effortless way and as always the things Reine does with his arsenal of Strat, fuzzes and Echolette, even here at his most restrained, are consciousness-altering.

Morte Macabre - Quiet Drops

Morte Macabre - Lullaby

Edit to add a sort of interesting, vaguely related story:

Last winter in Stockholm flipping through stacks in a record shop I got into a lengthy conversation with a friendly English guy about Texas, Gentle Giant and the good and bad sides of prog. Ultimately talk shifted to an apparent mutual affection for mellotron...I mentioned Morte Macabre as a prime example of the mellotron being used for the forces of good, and the guy's face lit up like a prog light show Christmas tree--it turns out he was gearing up for a tour playing guitar with Swedish prog-sters Anekdoten (pretty 'tron heavy themselves), members of which were at the core of Morte Macabre!

After chatting a bit longer he had to get going and scribbled down some contact info and the web address for his music blog, but I didn't get around to checking it out for weeks.

...turns out I had been talking with Marty Willson-Piper!

Sadly these things don't happen nearly as often when I buy online :D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:25 pm

Ringing the bells to call all Dungen Disciples to mass!

Fantastic new track, Dungen - Häxan being performed live at Sol de Sants Studios in Barcelona

Häxan is just Swedish for witch, but I kind of hope it's named after the delightfully distorted 1922 witchcraft "documentary" (possessed nuns!)

Reine casts some glacier heavy wah drenched occult magik bookending a beautiful Sagan om Ringen organ seance. :-* !

Dungen have really been at the top of the game lately with Allas Sak, the Prince Achmed score, heavy touring, and now this and I'm absolutely reveling in it

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:42 am

How monumentally heavy is that footage? Gave me goosebumps the first time I saw it, then each time for the next 15 times, had it on repeat since! They played it a few times recently when I've seen them and this performance is incredible, even more so considering those "live in the studio" setups are so sterile usually, they smash it.

Seen this? Some concert footage from the recent US tour, its a proper Bo Hansson/Mecki music forest jam, I don't know how Johan drums like that so consistently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5IlXFwWHlE

Good mention of Mort Macabre, that record satisfied my Dungen itch between Ta Det Lungt and Tio Bitar, heavy stuff.

Oh and here's a sure-fire Finnish dance floor classic, like a more disco-Goat. Courtesy of our drummer, who paid way too much for this 7" and then kindly stuck it on Youtube for the world to hear:

Black Mike's Waterloo - Lapini

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:06 am

mijmog wrote:
Oh and here's a sure-fire Finnish dance floor classic, like a more disco-Goat. Courtesy of our drummer, who paid way too much for this 7" and then kindly stuck it on Youtube for the world to hear:

A hot and committed buy at 70p a second! Many thanks for posting.

Way more prosaic but probably should be mentioned in here is Pinkunoizu from Denmark. More spangling kosmische than Forest psyche freakery but a good band IMO who occasionally turnout good remixes.

Pinkunoizu ‎- The Drop (Full album)

And an older track that's always been a highlight for me. The Abyss and for the hell of it The Abyss Part 2 (which was on an EP)

While we are talking Dansk, I guess the Causa Sui (Jakob Skott of Syntaksand Jona Munk best known as Manual) fit in just fine, though I guess they are almost a detoxified jam band with a haircut.

Causa Sui - Euporie Tide

Not rock or folk but I just got Maja S.K. Ratkje Crepuscular Hour which is a pretty astonishing record of mordant choral dread. Terrible and beautiful like great white shark

D

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:39 pm

mijmog wrote: Seen this? Some concert footage from the recent US tour, its a proper Bo Hansson/Mecki music forest jam, I don't know how Johan drums like that so consistently:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5IlXFwWHlE
Really rattling the walls in that clip and yeah, I don't know what Johan is tapped into but it's almost superhuman. Btw what's going on with the zip ties (?) on Reine's headstock? Anchoring tuners in place? Holding a crack together? Maximum Makeshift Mecki!
mijmog wrote:

Broken bongo bot banger! I love it, joining in the thanks!
shadowplay wrote: While we are talking Dansk, I guess the Causa Sui (Jakob Skott of Syntaksand Jona Munk best known as Manual) fit in just fine, though I guess they are almost a detoxified jam band with a haircut.

Causa Sui - Euporie Tide
Speaking Danish jam bands I'm a fan of Papir, to me kind of the morels to Causa Sui's 'shrooms in the basket of Danish psych forest fungi:

Papir - IIII.III
And with German psych stirrers Electric Moon: Papir and Electric Moon - The Papermoon Sessions

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:51 am

Highly into this:

Tonbruket - Baloons

Evolves into Reine-esque liquid guitar towards the end, a hypnotic mix of forest Rhodes, glacier guitar and motorik. Perfick.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jul 28, 2016 3:14 am

^^^

Liked the first couple of minutes enough to take a punt on it thanks. (edit) Is this CD only or is there a vinyl version out that I can't see?

I posted about a Norwegian record in another thread, sort of fits here but sort of doesn't. SKUGGSJÁ

Btw have bought the Hedvig Mollestad Trio elppe Evil In Oslo which is heavy on the pine scented echo meedle sitting atop shifting rhythms that remind me of a 70's version of Dif Juz.

D

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Aug 30, 2016 1:02 am

So this is pretty stellar, Kenny H jamming with Dungen at Tradgarden recently. Its one of Kebnakaise's more proggy moments (the name escapes me), and unfortunately the camera operator decides to cut just before they launch into "Being is More than Life", which I would love to see done live...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQrp8nylVC0

You can hear the lineage between Kenny and Reine's playing and sound. Really great to hear.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:59 am

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:06 am

shadowplay wrote:Häxan

D
ORDERED! Can't wait...

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:03 am

Not Scandinavian or guitar related - but this track by the Irish saxophonist Seán Mac Erlaine blows me away every time, I think its one of the most beautiful pieces of music going. A lush bed of sax burble loops with a sparse melody drifting in and out over the top.

Seán Mac Erlaine - Amhrán na Leabhar

Full album here: https://ergodos.ie/shop/records/long-af ... c-is-gone/

The reason why I think its relevant to this thread is I can hear some Scandinavian crossover folk melodies in the track above, and also very similar to a melody that Dungen use live when improvising, there's a flute melody that Gustav always plays to book-end improv sections.

example

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:42 am

I really like that. Not sure if it would be your speed but have you heard Sun Waves - At Sacred Walls? I adore the sax on it, it's a mighty edifice of modernist kosmische jazz.

D