The Nordic psych/folk/forest rune tape echo band thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Re: The Nordic psych/folk/forest rune tape echo band thread

Post by mynameisjonas » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:09 am

I think Dolce's new album will fit right in here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS3Oio4EDaA (slightly NSFW for a second or two around the minute mark). Produced by Mattias Glavå who worked with Dungen on "Allas Sak".

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:18 am

^^^

That's really quite beautiful sounding. Any idea when it's out or what label they are on?

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

whisperit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whisperit » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:47 am

^ I'm intrigued as well ^

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by electric12 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 7:36 am

mijmog wrote:
shadowplay wrote:The Entheogens - Io Pan!
Holy shit David, great stuff. How did I miss that on Subliminal Sounds?
Really enjoying this too, sort of a darker Scandinavian version of Dando Shaft or North Star Grassman by Sandy Denny.

On the more folky-dolky side of things, I can't get on with Turid (I want to try), I can't help thinking that the language barrier doesn't quite mask it feels like Melanie.

------------------------

On another astral plane all together, we can't let this thread go by without a mention of these mighty Finns:

Pharaoh Overlord

Dark Side

I remember seeing them at Roadburn Festival in Holland and they opened with a 30 minute version of Spacemen 3's Suicide.

Circle (of course!)

The live clip below remains one of the greatest examples of motorikmetal this side of Jupiter:

Circle live on a bus, San Francisco
Yes! Circle are/ were brilliant (not sure how much they are Pharaoh Overlord these days). I first came across them playing upstairs in a lovely old pub in Byker supporting Acid Mother's Temple. Absolutely awesome gig, but Circle were the stand-outs.
Saw them again a year or two later as headliners and again, brilliant. That Motorik thing they do plus the off-kilter rhythmic jazzy stuff and spacey electric piano. Great stuff.

Don't forget Goat. A bit modern and horribly popular, but they have some wonderful moments, and are even better live than on record.

Gotta say though, great thread. I'm currently listening to and enjoying ARCHIMEDES BADKAR's Badrock För Barn/Alla Åldrar Top drawer choice for an afternoon at work!

Edit: I've just noticed that this is a five page thread and I have joined late... apologies for any repetitions and obviousness. I don't think I'd even got as far as page 2.

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:01 am

shadowplay wrote:^^^

That's really quite beautiful sounding. Any idea when it's out or what label they are on?

D
I think the album will be released on Nomethod, but the only thing resembling a release date is "soon". I heard a song on the radio the other day, and they also said it would come out "soon". I think their Facebook page is the best way to stay updated. They have some stuff on Spotify, but it doesn't have as much of that 70s plush-communist vibe.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:15 am

Thaks Jonas much appreciated.

Btw Dungen - Häxan is now up to listen to in full on the Bandcamp.

I just got it this morning and I'm not quite out side one and it's absolutely beautiful. They are amazing musicians but they seem to use it to serve the music not serve themselves a heaping helping of muso wank.

Jakten genom skogen is a stunner!

D

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:48 am

That Dolce track I heard on the radio is out as a single on Spotify and iTunes today: "Säg nåt vanligt"

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:22 am

^^^

thanks Jonas!

I just got Western Skies Motel - Settlers which can probably go in here tentatively. Really beautiful Danish err...Americana, that makes me thing of some sort of Heath Robinson acoustic guitar player piano.

Western Skies Motel - Settlers Bandcamp beautiful refracted and wood acoustic scapes. The vinyl is quite dear and very limited but the digital is a fraction.

D

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:44 am

shadowplay wrote:Western Skies Motel - Settlers Bandcamp beautiful refracted and wood acoustic scapes.
Yep, that hits the spot. Lovely stuff. Have been on that all afternoon.

For fans of Träd Gräs och Stenar and "Progg" in general, recordings of the recent gigs at Cafe Oto are now available online, featuring the current lineup of Reine Fiske (Dungen), Sigge Krantz, Tom Watt (Wolf People) and Jakob Sjöholm are here:

Träd Gräs och Stenar - Live at Cafe Oto

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:11 pm

Eleanoora Rosenholm - Valo kaasumeren hämārässä Not a huge fan of a lot of Eleanoora's stuff but this track ( :-* ) seems to tap into whatever well Kuupuu, Islaja, and Lau Nau are drinking from, with a stark minimal backline to boot.

mynameisjonas wrote:That Dolce track I heard on the radio is out as a single on Spotify and iTunes today: "Säg nåt vanligt"
A belated thanks for this Jonas, I've listened to that track probably 30 times now. Eager for the album to come out!

In the meanwhile though I delved into some back catalogue and while they seem to have gone through a sort of...er...very Beach House phase, I'm loving most of it, especially Enslig Tid
mijmog wrote: For fans of Träd Gräs och Stenar and "Progg" in general, recordings of the recent gigs at Cafe Oto are now available online, featuring the current lineup of Reine Fiske (Dungen), Sigge Krantz, Tom Watt (Wolf People) and Jakob Sjöholm are here:

Träd Gräs och Stenar - Live at Cafe Oto
Late to this one too, but I finally got around to downloading this last night and...monumental! What a lineup too.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:20 am

Anyone heard Flowers Must Die? They have an album coming out on Rocket and I think they might fit here based on the one song you can hear off it. They come on like a squelchy Amon Düül II on the lash down the forest clearing disco, with a pint of Sami shaman's urine. Or...if you have had the misfortune of seeing The Trolls film...this is what the Trolls would have been dancing to in the Junior Senior scene if the film wasn't shite.

Mrs S thought it was like an Amon Düül II/Isley Brothers supergroop feverdream!

Flowers Must Die - Hit

Worth a preorder punt.

Oh there's another song on yootoob Flowers Must Die - After Gong which I don't like so much since it starts off sounding like Iron Butterfly mixed with Thee Hypnotics....though it does get better as it goes on and the horns step up.

D

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:04 am

Just been sent some great footage of Kebnekajse in 1975 on Youtube.

Dig Kenny's Strat!

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 pm

mijmog wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:04 am
Just been sent some great footage of Kebnekajse in 1975 on Youtube.

Dig Kenny's Strat!
And that hacked Goldtop!

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:21 pm

Any fans of the immortal psych/prog/jazz voyager Terje Rypdal (I know mijmog is one) on here might be interested in Sky Music: A Tribute to Terje Rypdal.

I'm normally not one for tribute albums but this is chock full of some really heartfelt and tastefully reinterpreted takes--parabolic orbits around tracks spanning Terje's megalithic 50 year output by a studio supergroup including the likes of longtime pal Ståle Storløkken and Reine Fiske...all your waking ring modulated octave fuzz dreams made flesh!

Sky Music (Terje Rypdal)- Sunrise (and the original )

Sky Music (Terje Rypdal)- Warning: Electric Guitars (fair heads up for Shadowplay ;D )

Oh and the OSG Nels Cline Fan Delegation will be pleased to see there's even a solo piece by the man himself.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:58 pm

The new Träden record is really, really great, "OTO" is my current favourite, not been off my turntable for some time now, and the track "Hymn" too, its what Mogwai should sound like in my head.

Ignore the shitty pitchfork review that writes it off as "woogly" - woogly is good.