The Nordic psych/folk/forest rune tape echo band thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: The Nordic psych/folk/forest rune tape echo band thread

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:47 am

Good to see you aroung Joe and thanks for the tip I've got it incoming. I'd not got round to chasing up happenings over at Subliminal Sounds over the past month or two.
mijmog wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:58 pm

Ignore the shitty pitchfork review that writes it off as "woogly" - woogly is good.
Moronic cunts. I haven't darkened their door for a few years but I can in all honesty say that I've never one seen anyone on Pitchfork display any sort of indepth knowledge where they make a cute, perceptive or off the wall comparison indicitive of knowing enough about the subject to be writing about it or frankly say anything of consequence (guest stunt writers aside). You be as well your local butcher, baker and candlestick maker.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 am

mijmog wrote:
Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:58 pm
The new Träden record is really, really great, "OTO" is my current favourite, not been off my turntable for some time now, and the track "Hymn" too, its what Mogwai should sound like in my head.
It's been at the top of the shuffle at Casa Nanamour, we were lucky enough to borrow a car for a road trip down the coast from San Francisco to Big Sur and back a few weekends ago...we had it playing almost nonstop. Can't have asked for a better soundtrack for blasting through primeval redwood forests!

If I had to pin down a favorite track, gun to my head, it would be "Tamburan," but that answer could change on any given day/time/mood/weather/etc/etc/etc, the whole album is monumental. I hear what you're saying with the Mogwai comment, parts of "Hymn" also reminded me a lot of some of the playing on the Morte Macabre album, which is never a bad thing.

While we're talking recent 'woggly' albums, has anyone heard the latest Our Solar System album Origins? I think it's my favorite of theirs yet, prime uberkosmische spanning from blissful flute lullabies to motorik chug, sometimes in the same song :w00t:

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 am

nanamour wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:31 am
While we're talking recent 'woggly' albums, has anyone heard the latest Our Solar System album Origins? I think it's my favorite of theirs yet, prime uberkosmische spanning from blissful flute lullabies to motorik chug, sometimes in the same song :w00t:

I was blowing its trumpet in songoftheday a while back, what an album!

It's not Nordic but it's got stray Goats on it and it's got some of the spirit so I have to ask if anyone has bought Thuban by the Lay Llamas? I did a thread on it but it didn't exactly take off.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu Sep 20, 2018 12:35 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:35 am
I was blowing its trumpet in songoftheday a while back, what an album!

It's not Nordic but it's got stray Goats on it and it's got some of the spirit so I have to ask if anyone has bought Thuban by the Lay Llamas? I did a thread on it but it didn't exactly take off.
Ah, seems I missed the party on both posts!

I think I was honed in via the Goat connection and heard a stray track or two off the Lay Llamas album. I seem to remember wah guitar swirling with droney tranced out vocals to a tribal rhythm section and saxophone coopted for the forces of good...all things which typically light up the "buy me!" centers, so I'm not sure why I didn't dive further in. I'll certainly take a second gander and report back.

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:43 am

Saw Träden (ne Träd, Gräs Och Stenar) in Sheffield on Saturday night, and it has truly blown my mind. I've always loved them, but to see them live headlining their own show and witnessing that free form, just utter flow from 4 incredibly gifted and tasteful musicians was a sight to behold. Reine on fire as always. Used a single fuzz and the Echolette only, just soared. Recommended.

Benjamin_M
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Benjamin_M » Sat Feb 19, 2022 6:22 am

Bumping this excellent thread.

Graestang
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by Graestang » Thu Feb 23, 2023 3:18 pm

nanamour wrote:
Thu May 19, 2016 8:41 am
mijmog and I started a conversation about Klemt Echolette tape echoes, Dungen,

I'll move us along by ministering the Holy Gospel of Swedish psychedelia high priests Dungen.

Dungen's marriage of fuzz-drenched psych rock, Swedish folk, and jazz has for me always sounded mysterious and otherworldy, like it's been lurking covered in moss in a boreal forest for centuries (Dungen after all is Svenska for 'cluster of trees') waiting to be dug up. Maybe it's the language barrier, or Reine Fiske's runic spacescape guitar, but Dungen have to me always sounded detached from any musical chronology and I've never thought of them as a psych rock glory day reenactment troupe like how some bands come off. Mijmog and I seem to share a mutual fanboyism for Dungen guitarist Reine Fiske who IMO is one of the great guitarists of our time--the way he weaves his way from atmospheric restraint through fuzzy feedback freakouts is the stuff of pagan magic and the way he's hardwired his tools (incl. a beat to pulp 60s parts strat, vintage Ge Fuzz Face, octavia, Klemt Echolette into a JTM45) into his playing is incredible--the "Swedish Hendrix" comparisons are lazy and don't do justice.

Dungen-Det du tänker idag är du i morgon

Lisa O Piu--Equitorial Changes
Life changing potential! Thank you
Loving itagain
YNWA
Græ
"the future is unwritten"
"without people you're nothing"

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:50 am

Essential companion reading to this thread, and highly recommended for any fan of Progg, off-beat psychedelia, and gorgeous period visuals, dig the deliciously meticulous Träd, Gräs & Stenar: A Collective History

Publisher blurb:
The story of the legendary Swedish psych rock band Träd, Gräs och Stenar is also a defining story of alternative culture. Across multiple incarnations, the musicians of this iconic group (whose name translates to “Trees, Grass and Stones”) have drawn on their roots in jazz and the avant-garde, the iconoclastic art and theater of the 1960s, and the back-to-the-land “green wave” movement to blaze a pioneering trail across fifty years of endlessly improvisational, resolutely DIY rock and roll jams. In this book, the collective’s members tell their story for the first time, accompanied by a vast archive of photographs, newspaper clippings, posters, flyers, album covers, and paintings. With its in-depth oral history and rich visuals, this book provides valuable insight into over five decades of internationally-renowned musical and countercultural innovation.
and a nice little teaser flip-through

MC5tooge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MC5tooge » Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:29 pm

Not sure if it counts but I've seen Danish psych outfit the Sonic Dawn a few times and they're awesome, if very obviously inspired by the 13th Floor Elevators.
And Øresund Space Rock Collective have been on my radar for a while - but they never seem to get out to my part of Denmark.