JD Twitch (Optimo) - So Low Compilation

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

JD Twitch (Optimo) - So Low Compilation

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:17 am

This is a compilation (see it here) close to my heart and anyone who has taken a dip in the shopping trolley choked waters of Song of the Day will probably recognise something off it from here. I was actually at one of the So Low nights that this references in the mid 80's, that Keith describes as less than a success because the audience hated the music and I had similar experiences back then but thankfully as young futurist become old futurists some of the kids are getting it in a way most of my generation didn't.

Anyway, if you fancy have a swatch at some lo-fi Industrial, EBM, NDW, cold wave, (maybe even) G**h and pioneering electronic music that you just happen to be able to dance to, you'll love this.

It differs from a lot of these sort of comps because most of these are drawn from vinyl records and aren't from cassettes or that sort of thing but it's still relevant.

Some example for the class;

Chris & Cosey - Passion

Holger Hiller - Das Feuer which is a record that was big in Glasgow, whatever that means.

Front 242 - Kampfbereit

Eric Random - Fade In which is a classic Stephen Mallinder production that will make you dance like a spider on speed.

Gerry And The Holograms - Gerry And The Hologramswhich sounds like something you already know.

Hard Corps - Porte Bonheur (Remix)

The Klinik - Moving Hands

Hunting Lodge - Tribal warning shot

Siglo XX- Dreams of Pleasure

Colin Potter - Power

This will be my last album post for the foreseeable future. An absolutely fine and dandy lack of interest in general has cooled my ardour but hopefully the music section will ride again and I'll post if it starts to creep back to relevance. This isn't a criticism, merely an admission that I am barking up the wrong tree, possibly even the wrong tree in the wrong wood in the wrong county.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

Straight6DOHC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: JD Twitch (Optimo) - So Low Compilation

Post by Straight6DOHC » Thu Feb 25, 2016 2:10 pm

I've really enjoyed your posts of late, David. Sorry for not actually replying to them. With the sort of music you've been posting I wondered if there was any connection with you and Optimo. Glasgow isn't such a big place when it comes to people listening to that sort of music.......or should I say, all those different musics.
Sunday nights/Monday mornings were such a thrill in my younger years and Optimo was a weekly highlight. Possibly the best club in the world.
I was introduced to Belgian New Beat in '89, '90 and I always liked the darker stuff that came out in 'club music'.
FWIW, that Not Waving album Animals is a treat. Probably the best album I've heard in a year. The Mutazione post was great also.
I'll listen to the tracks you posted that are on Twitch's compilation next day I'm off.
For now I'm off to bed.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:16 pm

As you say Glasgow and even Scotland is a bit of a village and I know kevin as a guy into interesting music from way back in the 80's and from Pure. So many people I know including myself have tried to crack the nut of breaking out of genre djing and being able to play Madonna and Nurse with Wound and have the same people dance and they did it before anyone and did it better. We'd all tried but played to three men and a dog but the combination of their incredible musical knowledge, skills and the sheer joyous and unpretentious nature of Optimo Espacio made it a success. It was the best club night ever.

Good to hear you like Not Waving and Mutazione, they are IMO superb record.

D

Straight6DOHC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Straight6DOHC » Sat Feb 27, 2016 4:29 pm

One thing that's not been mentioned was that the Optimo club night very often began with a live band, or another artist, before they went into a more (dance?/something you could dance to) playing of records.
I had a great night there with Add-N-To-X one night and Afrika Bambata another night.....to mention a couple.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:30 am

Straight6DOHC wrote:One thing that's not been mentioned was that the Optimo club night very often began with a live band, or another artist, before they went into a more (dance?/something you could dance to) playing of records.
I had a great night there with Add-N-To-X one night and Afrika Bambata another night.....to mention a couple.
Yeah, that was a great aspect but also a throwback to how it was in clubs back in the 80's. It used to happen in London sometimes when I went down for gigs but it was definitely the norm in the North.

Anyway, it's fucking superb compilation that's been monopolising the various House of Shadowplay turntables and Mrs S has reported that she's had it on while working away in London with a bunch of clueless fashion fluffies who wouldn't know Front 242 from 2Unlimited but who have actually asked for her to turn it up.

D

whisperit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whisperit » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:25 am

I like this one and was impressed even more by The Tapes - Selected Works 1982-1992 compilation.

And I always feel quite envious every time I read about those Optimo/ALFOS nights :D I rarely go out nowadays, but mostly because we have nothing like that here. Well, there is one EBM-oriented night which happens about three times a year, but it's not eclectic at all and already starting to lose its popularity. Somehow, people here are mostly interested either in simple forms of techno or in songs they know by heart :-/

whisperit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whisperit » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:01 am

The remix EP is up for pre-order.

A1. P1/E - 49 Second Romance (Powell Remix)
A2. Gerry And The Holograms - Gerry And The Holograms(JD Twitch Edit)
B1. The Klinik - Moving Hands (Helena Hauff Remix)
B2. Kübler-Ross - Victims of Victimless Crimes (John Bender Cover Version)

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:08 am

thanks for posting. i love optimo. seen em dj in my city twice.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:38 am

whisperit wrote:The remix EP is up for pre-order.

A1. P1/E - 49 Second Romance (Powell Remix)
A2. Gerry And The Holograms - Gerry And The Holograms(JD Twitch Edit)
B1. The Klinik - Moving Hands (Helena Hauff Remix)
B2. Kübler-Ross - Victims of Victimless Crimes (John Bender Cover Version)
This looks a sure fire winner! Every artist is capable of shining bright.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Nov 14, 2018 7:01 am

Keith (JD Twitch) has a new post punk compilation out that's focussed on the German NDW. I'd say it's the finest compilation since Mutazione (Italian Electronic & New Wave Underground 1980-1988) also on Strut and I'd consider him a true expert and arguably the best DJ in the world (certainly the best club nights, even with myrose tinted Scottish ear goggles) whose been collecting and advocating this stuff as long as me. I've got 90% of this but it's still an amazing listen and a fantastic introduction to anyone looking for a way in.

JD Twitch presents Kreaturen Der Nacht ]JD Twitch presents Kreaturen Der Nacht

There's a few things you might have expected to be on it but I think it's clear there's been an attempt to make it a cohesive listening piece for folk that are deep in these waters and for new paddlers.

I heard Beatles obsessed news radio DJ Nicky Campbell on the radio the other week asking aloud what the Germans have really done in pop music other than Kraftwerk like a stupendous Scottish dad rock dildo, so leaving aside everything from Kosmische, to minimal techno, to German minimal synth...here's exhibit A.

D