What happens when you cross Janis Joplin with Jimi Hendrix

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
zakmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: What happens when you cross Janis Joplin with Jimi Hendr

Post by zakmaster » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:39 pm

GhostPlayer wrote:
She's mastered dynamic performance already, like it or not...
You're just messing with us, right?

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:42 pm

GhostPlayer wrote:Are you guys for real?

What is she, 19? She has a f*kin' great voice and a kick ass locked on attitude all over. And sh*t loads of distortion too!
She's 26, actually.
Thread killer

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

blacktiger wrote:
She's 26, actually.
That's like 96 in Blues Prodigy years.
GhostPlayer wrote:Are you guys for real?

What is she, 19? She has a f*kin' great voice and a kick ass locked on attitude all over. And sh*t loads of distortion too!
I find her voice by far the most unappetising ingredient in this Blues Gumbo (tm). It's affected in the extreme

I noticed you complaining about her 'technique' earlier, I personally could not give a shit about technique or her voice or anything in isolation, for me music is a synergy, not a parts list. I don't even care if she or anyone writes their own songs (or even if they are just front puppets) but would prefer she /they did something fresh or engaging with it and charmed the song instead of stepping all over it. This is one of the marked contrasts between blues vs (euro style) folk, I still see folk artists taking Child ballads and traditional's in new directions.

To be honest I worry that any attention she's getting is tokenistic because she's the blonde Stevie Ray Nicks, though I'd guess she probably gets her fair share of misogynistic bile thrown too. I'm pretty sure there's literally thousands of men doing the same blues in a can shtick at state fairs and blues festivals all over the US that no one has ever bothered give a second thought to.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:14 am

shadowplay wrote:I'm pretty sure there's literally thousands of men doing the same blues in a can shtick at state fairs and blues festivals all over the US that no one has ever bothered give a second thought to.
Valid point. I guess this is another of those shock, horror, it's a woman playing rock guitar moments.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:18 am

Bahahaha, "Stevie Ray Nicks"

Seriously, the whole "oooo it's a girl playing *insert overdone music style here*, so it's new and cool" is beyond irritating to see. I can run blues scales real fast, but so can anybody, so I know that's not what they'd be coming to see me play for.

Maybe I should do an experiment. I'll play flashy blooze bullshit, but wear "proper" clothing for a Jewish lady. Like a sheitl or a tichl and nothing that exposes my collarbone or arms, etc etc etc... I'll be yer blooze meydl. I bet nobody would give a shit, since there's nothing new to hear and nothing sexy to come see. Just some lady approaching middle age, not showing any skin. I could be able to play circles around the best of 'em and it wouldn't matter if there's nothing to give 'em boners about.

So I say phooey.
This is an excellent rectangle

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Fri Dec 25, 2015 2:38 am

shadowplay wrote: I'm pretty sure there's literally thousands of men doing the same blues in a can shtick at state fairs and blues festivals all over the US that no one has ever bothered give a second thought to.

D
Yep, literally thousands of them worldwide, week in week out. I always thought women were more sensible though.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:25 am

mackerelmint wrote: Maybe I should do an experiment. I'll play flashy blooze bullshit, but wear "proper" clothing for a Jewish lady. Like a sheitl or a tichl and nothing that exposes my collarbone or arms, etc etc etc... I'll be yer blooze meydl. I bet nobody would give a shit, since there's nothing new to hear and nothing sexy to come see. Just some lady approaching middle age, not showing any skin. I could be able to play circles around the best of 'em and it wouldn't matter if there's nothing to give 'em boners about.
Paying your dues, playing the Jew's.

I think if you did blues standards, in Hebrew, so attired you could be onto something, maybe drop a few bars of (I know nothing about Hebrew music) Mezinke Tanz or another well known tune into your solo and...surely you'd get thread on a guitar forum at the very least. There's been some mileage in the Rastafarian Jewish crossover so Blues Jews must have a fighting chance.

D

*btw I hope none of this is offensive or could in anyway be construed as anti Semitic or insensitive. It doesn't look offensive to me but if it is, it's gone the minute someone tells me.

PixMix
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PixMix » Fri Dec 25, 2015 7:46 am

mackerel mint wrote:...

Maybe I should do an experiment. I'll play flashy blooze bullshit, but wear "proper" clothing for a Jewish lady. Like a sheitl or a tichl and nothing that exposes my collarbone or arms, etc etc etc... I'll be yer blooze meydl. I bet nobody would give a shit, since there's nothing new to hear and nothing sexy to come see. Just some lady approaching middle age, not showing any skin. I could be able to play circles around the best of 'em and it wouldn't matter if there's nothing to give 'em boners about...
... and if you make faces like she does at 47 sec. mark (as far as I could watch the video), you would be sending masses of audience home, moving slowly toward the exit...

I didn't watch the whole video, just not my thing, but there was some stunning resemblance between Steven Segal's playing and what she is doing between 7 and 14 sec. There's also resemblance between the two on the whole self-image and presentability.

daemon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by daemon » Fri Dec 25, 2015 9:59 am

That was pretty terrible. I couldn't make it more than 10 seconds without switching forward to see if there was more to it.

Contrast with Thalia Zedek on a telecaster...no contest.
https://youtu.be/aPM-r6RUfVw?t=40m23s

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:26 am

I didn't even click the link, I just hate this forum sometimes.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:36 am

StevenO wrote:I didn't even click the link, I just hate this forum sometimes.
Does it give you the blues?

D

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:46 am

It's just tiring, that's all. But hey, that's fine.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Dec 25, 2015 3:06 pm

shadowplay wrote:
mackerelmint wrote: Maybe I should do an experiment. I'll play flashy blooze bullshit, but wear "proper" clothing for a Jewish lady. Like a sheitl or a tichl and nothing that exposes my collarbone or arms, etc etc etc... I'll be yer blooze meydl. I bet nobody would give a shit, since there's nothing new to hear and nothing sexy to come see. Just some lady approaching middle age, not showing any skin. I could be able to play circles around the best of 'em and it wouldn't matter if there's nothing to give 'em boners about.
Paying your dues, playing the Jew's.

I think if you did blues standards, in Hebrew, so attired you could be onto something, maybe drop a few bars of (I know nothing about Hebrew music) Mezinke Tanz or another well known tune into your solo and...surely you'd get thread on a guitar forum at the very least. There's been some mileage in the Rastafarian Jewish crossover so Blues Jews must have a fighting chance.

D

*btw I hope none of this is offensive or could in anyway be construed as anti Semitic or insensitive. It doesn't look offensive to me but if it is, it's gone the minute someone tells me.

Nah, most of us would just find the whole thing totally puzzling, and the Haredim would come throw trash at me. I don't think it would be real well received. Which is fine, since I just wanted to make a point.

This rastafarian jewish thing is news to me, but I think I'll pretend it doesn't exist.
This is an excellent rectangle

Dok
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Dok » Fri Dec 25, 2015 10:17 pm

The genre is definitely not my thing, and I don't see much purpose in covering that song especially, but she plays guitar better than I ever will, so I'm not getting too bent out of shape about the whole thing. I learned a long time ago that just because music exists that I think sucks is no reason to get mad at the world or the people who make that music. All I can reasonably do is try to put out better music.
Local milk person

scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by scottT » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:19 pm

Maybe the thread title oversold her. I have a few thoughts to throw out there for consideration...

Blues is folk music. How good does she really need to be, technically? Is she good enough for the blues circuit? I've watched several videos of her since, and I think she's more than competent. She's a good player with a nice bluesy voice. Certainly from the feedback, the crowds like her.

I've heard the same thing brought up about Tal Wilkenfeld and Cindy Cashdollar elsewhere...that "she's no better than a thousand guys out there, and if she weren't a pretty girl, no one would notice". Seems like we're right back to making girls feel like they have to justify themselves for taking the place of some guy by having to be twice as good or else their success is suspect. She just happens to stand out in a field dominated by guys because of her looks and gender...well, it's still show business and differentiating yourself from everyone else who do the same covers and licks is a good thing. Let's face it, for all the protestations of "oh, a girl can play the guitar", it still IS unusual to see that in this context, and it's silly to deny that it's a legitimate novelty factor for the audience. Not in a bad way, in a positive way. There just aren't that many, though a search of Samantha Fish brings up a handful of others out there.