Turntables - I need a new one!

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Turntables - I need a new one!

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:11 am

Back in the day, almost everyone I knew had a Dual 505. Not as fancy as yer Linns, Planars, etc. but they always seemed perfectly serviceable to me in a similarly utilitarian way to the Technics DJ decks.

There are always plenty of them out there for not much money.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:31 am

NickD wrote:the speed is variable when it shouldn't be and it only works in mono now.
Alternatively, it sounds like a service could sort it out in short order. Could be as simple as a new belt and a bit of soldering to fix a dry joint on the faulty output post.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Fri Dec 18, 2015 4:55 am

It's direct drive so not as simple as a new belt unfortunately. I cleaned the pots which improved it, but I'd like to upgrade in any case so not wanting to chuck cash at it. My own electrical skills are stretched by wiring a guitar so I wouldn't be much use myself!

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:15 am

a year ago, i sold my Sondek lp12 (ekos 2, lingo 2, trampolin 2, etc) and replaced it with a Rega RP8.
The lp12 was nicer, but i am enjoying the rp8.
i use it with a naim Supernait 2, nd5xs and Focal Electra speakers.
Rega is good because you get good playback and not a lot of fuss, while the lp12 is much more expensive and very fussy!

thedude99
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by thedude99 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:17 am

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:Back in the day, almost everyone I knew had a Dual 505. Not as fancy as yer Linns, Planars, etc. but they always seemed perfectly serviceable to me in a similarly utilitarian way to the Technics DJ decks.

I have a dual 505, it recently died on me. Debating whether or not to get it fixed or buy something new.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Jun 28, 2016 1:45 am

A partial update:

I fixed the Technics. (its actually an SL1500, I remembered the model wrong) the contacts where the headshell attaches to the arm had corroded and after a good clean it is working properly again.

I've been keeping an eye on Sondeks on eBay, but not found the one for me yet. At least I can listen to my vinyl in stereo again in the interim!

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:42 pm

A full update, I've been buying more records, so thought I best get on and sort out a better player. I picked up a n early 80s or so Linn Sondek with a couple of Inspire upgrades, a Rega RB 250 arm (more a sideways move than an upgrade) and an Ortofon blue cart. Spent a couple of hours setting it up as best I can - but it is on a bouncy floor, not ideal for a sprung deck, and very different from the Technics where you could set a bomb off next to it and it wouldn't skip. I'll have to think about where to put it once we've moved.

But the difference in sound is surprising - I wasn't expecting it to be so obvious, even through headphones, as I am stuck listening to music at the moment .

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:01 pm

Nice score! I had a poor man's version of this setup (a Thorens TD-150 with a few modern upgrades with an RB-250 arm) and really enjoyed that setup until recently when I moved to an apartment with floors that I swear could've been cart sprung. It sounded worlds better than the pro-ject I had before it but records skipping whenever neighbors made any kind of motion upstairs sealed its fate...kept the arm but switched to Rega Planar 2 mechanicals (reunited and it feels so good!). At least I can make it through an album without skipping, but I find myself missing the leap in sound from the sprung system over my sad little piece of MDF. Enjoy :)

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:02 pm

UlricvonCatalyst wrote:Back in the day, almost everyone I knew had a Dual 505. Not as fancy as yer Linns, Planars, etc. but they always seemed perfectly serviceable to me in a similarly utilitarian way to the Technics DJ decks.

I used one of these a handful of times as a teenager. It was my dad's tt (he sold his technics to buy a car when I was born or on the way) and I had a handful of 60s/70s rock records but I was a CD user, burning mixes (as in a mixtape, but on a CD) and using a hifi with a 3 CD changer.

Dad got me a Croseley for christmas and it sounds ok run into a beefier speaker. When we move to a bigger flat I might reclaim the 505 and the mission speakers I used to use.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:36 pm

NickD wrote:A full update, I've been buying more records, so thought I best get on and sort out a better player. I picked up a n early 80s or so Linn Sondek with a couple of Inspire upgrades, a Rega RB 250 arm (more a sideways move than an upgrade) and an Ortofon blue cart. Spent a couple of hours setting it up as best I can - but it is on a bouncy floor, not ideal for a sprung deck, and very different from the Technics where you could set a bomb off next to it and it wouldn't skip. I'll have to think about where to put it once we've moved.

But the difference in sound is surprising - I wasn't expecting it to be so obvious, even through headphones, as I am stuck listening to music at the moment .

Nice one Nick, looking back I think getting my first Sondek was the first time in my life that I'd ever got the object of my true desire.

I remember a similar epiphany where my new deck just sounded so dimensional.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

mcjt
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mcjt » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:25 am

Show us a photo or 2? my 1st LP12 had a RB300 :)
NickD wrote:A full update, I've been buying more records, so thought I best get on and sort out a better player. I picked up a n early 80s or so Linn Sondek with a couple of Inspire upgrades, a Rega RB 250 arm (more a sideways move than an upgrade) and an Ortofon blue cart. Spent a couple of hours setting it up as best I can - but it is on a bouncy floor, not ideal for a sprung deck, and very different from the Technics where you could set a bomb off next to it and it wouldn't skip. I'll have to think about where to put it once we've moved.

Bert Camenbert
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bert Camenbert » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:03 am

I have a Pro-ject Debut Carbon (carbon tonearm) and I'm very happy with it. It's simple and basic, sounds good and it's a good bang for the buck. It comes with an Ortofone red cartridge which is quite nice.