Tarquin Manek/ F ingers/Tarcar

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Tarquin Manek/ F ingers/Tarcar

Post by shadowplay » Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:28 am

If I was a listy person and had an end of year awards ceremony, I'd need to give serious thought hanging the 'best newcomer' gong round this Australian gent's neck.

He's in two bands; F ingers and TARCAR (both have the same singer) and his solo album 'Tarquin Magnet' is due to land on my doormat any day now.

Anyone who loved AC Marias (the nearest comparison, though TARCAR are a mite more crepuscular and beset with sperlunking eko and capstan wobble) will love TARCAR and F ingers and his solo stuff is gorgeously lyrical, jazz flecked modular chamber wooze magick that goes a wondering off into realms of bubbling gobbledegook and mournful gong chimes before wandering back to base again.

So;

TARCAR

Fireball

Visons of the Night

Both from their Mini elpee/EP - Mince Glace (or Thin Ice in French)

They also had a brilliant song putting the Dream in dream pop, on the now long sold out (but available as a file) 'I can't give you the life you want' Compilation on Blackest Ever Black (their label for all releases mentioned here)

Eija

F ingers
(Hide Before Dinner album)- a wee bit more of a band feel here, queasy and slippery

Useless Treasure

Tantrum Time

Hide Before Dinner

Tarquin Manek

Sassafras Gesundheit only one track in the wild but it's going on half of the album. I've only had this on once, I'm waiting for the vinyl to arrive but they sent out the files when the pressing was delayed so I gave it a listen for this post.

Tarquin Manek - Not Missing You also from the truly scrumptious 'I can't give you the life you want' compilation

Finally it's seasons greetings from Blackest Ever Black becuse they have put up free downloads of Do You Know The Mind Of A Bullet? by Tarquin Manek a previous cassette only release.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Tarquin Manek/ F ingers/Tarcar

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 03, 2016 3:01 am

FYI, Carla Dal Forno of F ingers and Tarcar has a seven out on Blackest Ever Black, which I am really enjoying.

Fast Moving Cars

Better Yet. :-*

D

Jaguar018
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Jaguar018 » Tue May 03, 2016 5:13 am

I'm going through all of these. It's a little too heavy on the atmosphere to really sock me in the gut, but I like it. :)

The Useless Treasure song has a total Young Marble Giants bass riff sound (under all the other stuff).

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue May 03, 2016 5:23 am

I can't always keep up with what gets posted in here and so I missed this topic when it went up - now that I hear it, it's great. The second track in the original post (Visions Of The Night) sounds a lot to me like Voices From The Lake, in a good way.

I am feeling somewhat unwell today so the whole smeary dark seasick vibe is dovetailing with my physiology nicely.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue May 03, 2016 5:28 am

Jaguar018 wrote:I'm going through all of these. It's a little too heavy on the atmosphere to really sock me in the gut, but I like it.
I can totally see this point of view. For me it's part of the attraction, the whole channelled onto tape through an entranced medium feel, that and how the remind me of AC Marias who I absolutely adore.

Eijais a probably as straightforward as they get.
mezcalhead wrote:I can't always keep up with what gets posted in here and so I missed this topic when it went up - now that I hear it, it's great. The second track in the original post (Visions Of The Night) sounds a lot to me like Voices From The Lake, in a good way.

I am feeling somewhat unwell today so the whole smeary dark seasick vibe is dovetailing with my physiology nicely.
I forgot to mention that they are Australian or is that A ustralian?

Anyway, I'm happy someone likes them too.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Tue May 03, 2016 5:30 am

shadowplay wrote:I forgot to mention that they are Australian or is that A ustralian?
;D

I'm usually not a fan of creative punctuation in band names but F ingers isn't too bad I suppose.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:31 am

New solo album You Know What it's like by Carla Dal Forno of F ingers and Tarcar is out today on Blackest Ever Black. I'm loving it!

D

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:28 am

shadowplay wrote:New solo album You Know What it's like by Carla Dal Forno of F ingers and Tarcar is out today on Blackest Ever Black. I'm loving it!

D
Just got notice that mine has finally shipped! Can't wait, all the other incarnations haven't let me down and I don't think this release will either.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:44 am

Slow-Pop wrote:
shadowplay wrote:New solo album You Know What it's like by Carla Dal Forno of F ingers and Tarcar is out today on Blackest Ever Black. I'm loving it!

D
Just got notice that mine has finally shipped! Can't wait, all the other incarnations haven't let me down and I don't think this release will either.
I think you'll like it. She's still got a lot of AC Maria's about her and that's still a great thing but I'm heavily reminded of Caroline K and there's a beautifully folky sensibility in the melodies, dusted in concrete dust as they are.

I love how concise this record is, no fat whatsoever.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:29 am

I spotted this in the Boomkat weekly digest, I may be able to shoe-horn it into my monthly purchases.

[edit] yes I can :)

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:17 am

Pretty much abandoned write ups on records in here as a fools errand but probably worth digging this one up for the just out new F ingers elpee 'Awkwardly Blissed Out' and the coming Carla Dal Forno 12' 'The Garden'.

The new F ingers is going to be a fixture on the turntables of House of Shadowplay, with its beautiful capstan wobbling dub ghostworld. Stick your pin in the hinterland between TARCAR and Fingers and through your binoculars you'll see Shoc Corridor, Orior, Caroline K and of course AC Marias, but it's almost a shame to mention this as it's really it's own thing. A brilliant record of exquisite repetition to lose your bearings in; dappled in sunstroked ekko and battling spored dankness.

F ingers - Awkwardly Blissed Out

In the next few weeks Carla Dal Forno will release The Garden which is up for pre-order at Blackest Even Black, I've only heard the beautiful track which is intended to be a nocturnal companion piece (not a cover) of the Einstürzende Neubauten song of the same name and the video is a homage.

Carla Dal Forno - The Garden is out on Oct 6th.

IMO both records right at the top table of modern post punk.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:18 am

I was onto the CdF already, but I hadn't seen there was a new F ingers as well so thanks for that.

I like how Carla's video is basically the same but with pot plants.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:12 am

mezcalhead wrote:I was onto the CdF already, but I hadn't seen there was a new F ingers as well so thanks for that.

I like how Carla's video is basically the same but with pot plants.
The new F ingers is an absolute belter. Agreed on the video, really charming.

Btw Jon if you like CDF you might like Penelope Trappes.

D

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:11 pm

shadowplay wrote:Btw Jon if you like CDF you might like Penelope Trappes.
I do! Mellower with less tension than CdF so not as arresting but still very nice.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:38 am

wow! The Garden 12' is exceptional, really beautiful. Absolutely spot on slow mo shunting post punk bass lines, withered drum tracks and absolute proof that if you have an attractive voice you are liberated from any of that wailing, grunting or hitting notes for show pish, she just cruises along on an arctic cool swan glide through the ghostworld.

Carla Dal Forno - The Garden full stream

Perfect!

D