.O.rang (Talk Talk Spinoff)

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Telliot
Mods
Mods

Re: .O.rang (Talk Talk Spinoff)

Post by Telliot » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:27 am

Not to hijack the thread, but as a big fan of Talk Talk, I find myself really loving Elbow. There’s a timbre to Guy Harvey’s voice that reminds me so much of Mark Hollis. The fact so much of their music is a slow burn doesn’t hurt either, I suppose.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by eggwheat » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:27 pm

Paul has put a nice piece up about the album here:
https://www.rustinman.com/about/

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:56 am

eggwheat wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:27 pm
Paul has put a nice piece up about the album here:
https://www.rustinman.com/about/
Really good read that thanks for posting it.

While I'm on can I point anyone who likes 'O'rang, Talk Talk, Raintree Crow, WOOB and things of a Fourth World or outernational bent, at the coming album The Onrush Of Eternity by log(m) & Laraaji which is up for pre-order on the very wonderful deepest equatorial Glasgow label, Invisible Inc. it's not exactly cheap but it's a triple, the sample tracks are wonderful and the label usually doesn't overcharge so you are getting what you pay for.

While you are over there take time to check out Komodo Kollectif and Sordid Sound System who are fucking brilliant or have a pop at the wondrous Lost Transmissions From The Off​-​World Territories compilation.

Thank you for your time in the densely forested off topic realms.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 30, 2019 3:03 am

eggwheat wrote:
Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:27 pm
the album
Just wrestled it out the Posties hands an hour ago and one listen in I've mixed feelings. It's quite a 'classic' 60's palette, almost bluesy, sometimes redolent of Tom Waits after a course of decongestents, sometimes evoking the Caretaker with it's 30's spectres. There's very little of the world, techno and dub influences you got with 'O'rang and it's much more songwriter, sometimes it strays over one of my red lines with slightly cringey guitar work (like the Wah on Judgement Train) but I absolutely admit to having something of a flinch response to any guitar playing that might involve face pulling. In some ways I'm slightly reminded of Steve Jansen's solo records (think Ballad of a Deadman) and I guess it's haunted by the same ghosts. I also wonder if there's an intentional nod to UK Folk Rock, Brings Me Joy for example has something of a Pentangle live at the BBC feel and it's quite early 70's Prog on Martian Garden which was quite Canterbury/Gentle Giant. It also reminds me of the Unthanks Mount the Air record for some reason, probably the horns and also because that record is slighly in hoc to Talk Talk.

He's not got the loveliest voice in the world (corvid Robert Wyatt) but it seems to work better over a whole elpee than a song heard in isolation but I can't say I'm too much of a fan. I was wistfully imagining Domino hooking him up with Emiliana Torrini, sinces she's also under their wing.

IMO not as good as 'O'rang or Mark Hollis solo record or even the Gibbons/Rustin record but still worth having. I feel like I'm complaining about what it isn't rather than enjoying what it is, I guess I'm too in thrall of repetition and I keep hearing parts I just want repeated forever and I feel he moves on too fast.

I remember buying Herd of Instinct back in 94 and playing it like 8 times in a row and hundreds of times since and having it as my go to gift for most of that year but I felt once was enough this time round and stuck on The Onrush Of Eternity by log(m) & Laraaji record that coincidentally came at the same time and which I recommended up thread.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?