Re: The Velvet Underground

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
batchainpuller
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

The Velvet Underground

Post by batchainpuller » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:48 pm

The most influential band? An obvious assessment? Discuss, of course.

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:37 pm

velvet skies and the velvet underground
i used to think i was lost
but now i know i'm found

certainly influential and more respected now than when they were around, but most influential? only in very small circles.
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:29 pm

Hugely influential.  Aside from their obvious influence on punk, Lou Reed broke down the idea that rock and roll lyrics had to be for and about teenagers.  The Velvets turned the rock song into literature.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:50 pm

Lou Reed wrote:Three chords, turn it up, make the words mean something.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:56 pm

I've stayed out of the music forum long enough. I don't know a whole lot about what you guys (and gal) are talking about. BUT... As L7 as I am now, I grew up llistening to early Bowie, Lou Reed, Ian Hunter, etc... Yes, different genres (perhaps), but the same era. The kids in school were listening to Cap'n Crunch and Tenille.

I LOVE the VU!

I remember a time back in like '82 when I ended up in some apartment somewhere in Cocoa Beach  to enjoy some herb and good music, and this guy says 'pick what you want to hear'. So I look through his vinyl and choose the VU. He says ... 'No, I mean something GOOD!' I left shortly thereafter and never went back...
Last edited by fullerplast on Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Q. Are we not men?

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:00 pm

fullerplast wrote: I've stayed out of the music forum long enough. I don't know a whole lot about what you guys (and gal) are talking about. BUT... As L7 as I am now, I grew up llistening to early Bowie, Lou Reed, Ian Hunter, etc... Yes, different genres (perhaps), but the same era. The kids in school were listening to Cap'n Crunch and Tenille.
Bowie has acknowledged his debt to the Velvets and Lou Reed- he produced Transformer as a way of thanking Lou for the music he made in the Velvet Underground.

If anything, I think the Velvets' true influence has been underestimated.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:02 am

Can anyone suggest a Lou Reed and VU album to start off with? I like melodic songs.

FireAarro
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by FireAarro » Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:17 am

Amber wrote: Can anyone suggest a Lou Reed and VU album to start off with? I like melodic songs.
VU, probably The One With The Banana And Andy Warhol for melodic songs. If you like noise rock, The One With The Very Black Cover.
Times change.  Remember when dog Jimmy used to go white and chalky?  Now it grows hair!  We got used to it. We'll get used to poly. -blueavenger

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Fri Nov 10, 2006 4:38 am

Bowie has acknowledged his debt to the Velvets and Lou Reed- he produced Transformer as a way of thanking Lou for the music he made in the Velvet Underground.

If anything, I think the Velvets' true influence has been underestimated.

I think so too.

Sometimes I think I need to get 'back to my roots' and start re-listening to some of that stuff that I got away from. To clarify my earlier post, I was listening to that stuff much earlier than the incident in '82 that I wrote about. By that time, I was more into 'new wave' type stuff. I've never liked so-called "popular" or mainstream stuff.

Some of my best stuff was on 8-track.... lol.    ;D   But when 8-track went the way of the dinosaur (and Betamax) I never replaced it. All my vinyl is long gone, and I don't remember where either. I painfully have the radio on in the background most of the time... and bitch about it constantly.

I need to look into my past, and some of the other stuff you guys discuss here....
Q. Are we not men?

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Fri Nov 10, 2006 7:15 am

FireAarro wrote:
Amber wrote: Can anyone suggest a Lou Reed and VU album to start off with? I like melodic songs.
VU, probably The One With The Banana And Andy Warhol for melodic songs. If you like noise rock, The One With The Very Black Cover.
i think VU's most melodic album is their third, just called "Velvet Underground." a lot of really pretty songs on that, with "Candy Says," "Jesus," "Pale Blue Eyes," etc.

that album seems to me a safer bet for the VU newcomer than the Andy Warhol album, which -- while brilliant --  has a lot moments of screeching disonance from John Cale's viola. and Nico's uber-growl can be a bit of an acquired taste. (i love it, i just don't think it's everyone's cup of tea.)
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Ian
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ian » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:24 am

dc wrote: Nico's uber-growl can be a bit of an acquired taste. (i love it, i just don't think it's everyone's cup of tea.)
Are you familiar with the Nico record "Chelsea Girl"? I just can't get enough of it these days. Pretty much an acquired taste as well...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 8:43 am

For newcomers who want the melodic side of the VU, I think it's hard to beat Loaded, which has their two big "hits," namely, "Sweet Jane" and "Rock And Roll."

The Velvet Underground is also a good start for the melodically inclined, but is even more mellow.

Heck, I think I'd just look for a used or cut-out copy of the box set, Peel Slowly And See, because once you get into it, you're gonna want 'em all.

My personal fave is White Light/White Heat.  There is no song as cool as "Sister Ray" in my universe.  (Which is why I love, love, love The Quine Tapes- three live 20-minutes-plus versions of "Sister Ray" pure skronk heaven.)

Amber
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Amber » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:26 am

Thanks for that guys. I'll check them out.

burker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by burker » Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:56 am

Ian wrote:
dc wrote: Nico's uber-growl can be a bit of an acquired taste. (i love it, i just don't think it's everyone's cup of tea.)
Are you familiar with the Nico record "Chelsea Girl"? I just can't get enough of it these days. Pretty much an acquired taste as well...
I love that album...

I for one actually like Nico's voice, as well as most things VU
listening to  "pale blue eyes" now...

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:05 am

Ian wrote:
There's also a Reed-Cale-Nico live set from 1972, called, I think, Bataclan 1972, that's pretty darn cool.