OSG goes OST...Soundtracks...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: OSG goes OST...Soundtracks...

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:28 am

MechaBulletBill wrote:Under The Skin's soundtrack really made the film for me. It's a great example of a score elevating and defining the tone of a film, I loved it so damn much.
I agree the score made a good film great and it was doubly good that Michel Faber is a bit of music connoisseur and I'd like to think he liked it. Jonathan Glazer get's some credit too, when I saw they were making the film, I had a hellish vison of a score choked with Scottish indie pish. I'd also say that the score would still be great if it was just an LP she released. Some of the newer scores I listed work great in the films but it's amazing how some of them just translate into great LP's. I was just listening to 71' and if it didn't have the odd snippet of dialogue, most folk would never really tie it to being a film score,it's just a great LP folk should check out.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

niemand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niemand » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:58 am

Last edited by niemand on Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

invisible man
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by invisible man » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:17 pm

Westerns:

Drcarlsonalbion Gold sooundtrack https://soundcloud.com/drcarlson-albion ... ion-gold-i

Neil Young Dead Man soundtrack should need no introduction

As for Ennio Morricone, I've dug deep and found a few great obscure (or at least non-iconic) ones:
Death Rides A Horse http://youtu.be/Ff-kQ-UmflA
and Two Mules For Sister Sara http://youtu.be/Yl6DA1YDGcc
Last edited by invisible man on Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/billy-gashade

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:18 pm

shadowplay wrote:
Slow-Pop wrote:I'm drifting way off topic but the Patrick Cowley George Socarros LP Catholic is good. Check out Robot Children (do you love your)

D
Drift away, that's how we get great recommendations. Just like this one. Thanks!
MechaBulletBill wrote:Under The Skin's soundtrack really made the film for me. It's a great example of a score elevating and defining the tone of a film, I loved it so damn much.
I was writing to Shadowplay and explained how about 15 minutes into Under the Skin, I was online ordering the OST.

Grigori
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Grigori » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:12 am

nrs24985 wrote:The Sinoia Caves Beyond the Black Rainbow LP is an excellent example. The really dark, synth heavy stuff is what gets me most excited, the Surf Nazis Must Die soundtrack that came out last year was awesome!
I came into this thread to post about the BTBR soundtrack; glad to see I'm not the only one!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:15 am

Slow-Pop wrote:
Drift away, that's how we get great recommendations. Just like this one. Thanks!

Ah OK!

Something folk might want to jump on the first LP by I SPEAK MACHINE which is the soundtrack to a film I've not heard of;

Analogue synth enthusiasts and John Carpenter fans rejoice. "The Silence" is the score to the underground indie sci-fi film of the same name. I Speak Machine is Tara Busch. Her music is made from layers of eerie synth and spectral vocals.

Sample Track - Crawl Home

Available to preorder on vinyl here with instant DL for fuck all (£10 + P&P)

Btw if you haven't heard it check out Tara's beasting version of John Foxx's My Sex. Her version of I want to be a Machineis hot to trot too and the Gazelle Twin tracks that make up the rest of the 4 track Foxx tribute EP are equally magic.

Oh and it's definitely worth having a look at (1973) Alain Goraguer - La Planete Sauvage which has just been repressed. It's kind like a ménage à trois between Lalo Schifrin's Magnum Force, Isaac Hayes and Vannier.

Whole LP on youtube.
invisible man wrote:
As for Ennio Morricone, I've dug deep and found a few great obscure (or at least non-iconic) ones:
There's been some recent vinyl releases of less well known Morricone on AMS records (who put out a lot of Goblin records and the like). The quality is fantastic and the likes of Il Gatto A Nove Code are well worth buying (in that case in Gaillo Vinyl).

Death Waltz also put out an impressive pressing of Lizard In A Woman's Skin

Moving on from Ennio I'd recommend the new pressing of Cerrone OST for Brigade Mondaine on Because Music. The Cerrone represses are great, it's about time he got taken seriously.

D

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks for the I Speak Machine recommend, going to look into that one. Good call on the rest of those soundtracks...all good ones.

nrs24985
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nrs24985 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:45 am

That Planete Sauvage LP is incredible Shadowplay! Beautiful packaging from Superior Viaduct too.

I have the Morricone trilogy of Argento soundtracks, Four Flies on Grey Velvet, Bird with the Crystal Plummage and Cat o Nine Tails. All have their moments, but agree that Cat is the pick of the litter, pun intended.

Lizard in a Woman's Skin is a beautiful package but I think Morricone has better scores. AMS is, I believe, doing a whole slew of Morricone scores, as has Dagored, I haven't listened to them yet though, the bulk of what is coming out on AMS is Westerns.

The Goblin scores are all classics, and are on my want list, when I have a spare couple of hundred I will pick up all the major ones, a favourite and often overlooked one is Buio Omega.

There is some cool stuff coming out by Riz Ortolani and Nico Fidenco, Cannibal Holocaust by Ortolani is due soon, and promises to be incredible, put aside your opinions on the film and listen to the main them, it's phenomenal!

Tim Krog's the Boogey Man is a cool score full of creepy, horror synth weirdness.

One Way Static released Phillip Glass' soundtrack to Candyman, which I really dig and are releasing the soundtrack to Nekromantik, the film is probably a but much for most, but the score is pretty cool.

On a related note Death and Vanilla did a live rescore to Vampyr by Carl Dreyer, which is excellent and well worth picking up and The Hook and Pull Gang which is a rescore of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre by two guys from Giallo Disco is one of my favourite releases of last year.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:54 am

nrs24985 wrote:
On a related note Death and Vanilla did a live rescore to Vampyr by Carl Dreyer, which is excellent and well worth picking up and The Hook and Pull Gang which is a rescore of a Texas Chainsaw Massacre by two guys from Giallo Disco is one of my favourite releases of last year.

I have that Death and Vanilla (red vinyl IIRC) and it is great. The Hook and Pull Gang one is good too, I just got the new Antoni Maiovvi - Avrokosm record.

As for the rest... +1

D

nrs24985
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nrs24985 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:06 am

shadowplay wrote:
nrs24985 wrote:

I have that Death and Vanilla (red vinyl IIRC) and it is great. The Hook and Pull Gang one is good too, I just got the new Antoni Maiovvi - Avrokosm record.

As for the rest... +1

D
I need to check out more of the Giallo Disco stuff, everything I have or have heard is really cool. I have a red vinyl as well of Death and Vanilla, I think they did two pressings so there may be another colour as well?

Bruno Nicolai was mentioned above, I think it's Dagored, are releasing The Red Queen Kills Seven Times, I pre-ordered it as it sounds pretty intriguing, I'm a real sucker for 70s Giallo stuff though.

I also took a punt on some Stelvio Cipriani stuff that was strongly recommended to me, Baron Blood, Concorde Affair and The Great Alligator, I haven't heard the full albums of these three but the clips sound promising.

The score to Martin, a little known George Romero film, by Donald Rubinstein was just announced for pre-order, what I have heard sounds cool, but I am still a little on the fence, the fact I had to spend $1000 on my car today has forced me to be a little more selective about record purchases for the near future.

Twin Peaks is getting a repress this year too, being the score that really got me to pay attention to soundtracks and scores, I'm pretty excited to say the least.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:52 am

^^^

Sorry to hear about your car trouble.
nrs24985 wrote:I'm a real sucker for 70s Giallo stuff though.
Me too and I'm a fan of a lot of the new takes on the genre. I was lucky enough to see Umberto do Night Has A Thousand Screams live (rescore of Pieces)

If you don't know it you might want to have a look at Umbertos pseudo soundtrack Beyond The Grave.

I like Umberto anyway the recent 14 min long 12' version of Temple Room is flipping terrific.

Good shout on Cipriani and on Twin Peaks I really like Fire Walk With Me

I've got the Cats Eyes soundtrack to Peter Stricklands new film The Duke of Burgundy on pre-order and I'm really looking forward to seeing the film it (literally) pisses all over that 50 Shades rhubarb. The title track is quite lovely chamber pop and the rest sounds pretty good.

D

gusman2x
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by gusman2x » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:36 am

Loved the Virgin Suicides ST too. Probably my favourite Air album.

Enjoyed the movie, hated the book.

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:48 am

You'd have to be into that sort of music, but the Frank soundtrack was really well done.

Also, I'm surprised you (shadowplay) didn't mention the Berbarian Sound Studio soundtrack- I wish Keenan's vocals were on some of it (though it wouldn't have worked much for the film then) but i thought it had all the qualities of a well done soundtrack and almost works as a standalone album.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:57 am

noisepunk wrote:
Also, I'm surprised you (shadowplay) didn't mention the Berbarian Sound Studio soundtrack- I wish Keenan's vocals were on some of it (though it wouldn't have worked much for the film then) but i thought it had all the qualities of a well done soundtrack and almost works as a standalone album.
I really like it and I agree that it works as an album but if I listed everything, this thread would be 50 pages, so I decided to concentrate mainly on more recent stuff. If you like that check out Andrew Lilles The Equestrian Vortex which is the imagined soundtrack to the imaginary film getting made in Berberain Sound Studio (colour me amazed to see some of these still for sale). I think I read recently that the film is getting made but this might have been a dream.

I've not seen Frank yet, to be honest I'm, a wee bit bitter it's not a grim and authentic biopic set in the North.

D

nrs24985
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nrs24985 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 1:40 pm

I second the Equestrian Vortex suggestion. I do need to look into the original Berberian score though, I really enjoyed the film.

I'll also check out your Umberto recommendations Shadowplay, never heard about the Pieces rescore, that movie is a massive guilty pleasure of mine. Th Giallo Disco guys post somewhat frequently over on a forum I post on, and they mention represses are coming of past GD releases so it'll be a good chance, when they get round to it, for me to grab som sold releases. Though I'm not sure if these recommendations are GD releases? I finally managed to get a copy of Maiovvi's Yellow, it's in the post as we speak, which I'm looking forward to receiving.

I've been getting a few recommendations for Duke of a Burgundy, so it's one I will definitely check out.