OSG goes OST...Soundtracks...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Re: OSG goes OST...Soundtracks...

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:07 am

I remember (during our school years) my sister being insistent on wearing her bloody WAKE ME UP BEFORE YOU GO GO t-shirt even when I had to be seen with her in public.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:44 am

SUPERFLY - Curtis Mayfield

Along the same lines as the 70's Giallo: Halloween 3

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:54 am

Heads-up that Invada Records are having a sale just now - I picked up the Cliff Martinez Solaris OST picture disc for 13 quid, and there are more than a few other goodies there as well.

If you're small, own a record player, and like Judge Dredd, they have the DROKK vinyl+CD+T-shirt pack for half price.
Kenny

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Jan 05, 2016 3:09 am

wingnutkj wrote:Heads-up that Invada Records are having a sale just now - I picked up the Cliff Martinez Solaris OST picture disc for 13 quid, and there are more than a few other goodies there as well.
Cool, I got a couple of things for Mrs S but it's painful to look at records I bought at 50% off! :D

Anyway...

Off the top of my head, I'm of the opinion that the best contemporary soundtrack elpee from last year has to be; Cat's Eyes* The Duke of Burgundy (which also happens to be an lush, beautifully realised, erotic, mildly kinky and romantic film). (((TRAILER))) The casting of Sidse Babett Knudsen was unexpected and genius, if you've watched Borgen she'd perhaps not be the first name that popped into you mind for the role but she fits it perfectly.

A magical and evocative soundtrack, that's brimful of wonder. A must have IMO and importantly it works as an album and best of all it's not saddled with any snippets of dialogue or any of that sort of nonsense. For example; much as I really like David Homes soundtrack to 71', I think the dialogue acts as a bit of a barrier to repeated listening and in general it always seems to wear really thin really fast and it's seriously cooled my interest in Morricone's Hateful Eight soundtrack which is apparently pock marked by actors muttering over the music.

Full stream ahead!

*Rachel Zeffiraand Faris Badwan of the Horrors

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:58 am

Finders Keepers have reissued the soundtrack to cult Australian biker film Stone (trailer and film comes on straight after). Stone is for you baby if you dig sweaty, hot crotched, funk rock fug!

Billy Green - Race

Billy Green - Undertaker

Stone isn't really my 'thing' but another newish OST on Finders Keepers is; Masahiko Sato - Belladonna (from the film Belladonna of Sadness)

Valle Incantata

TBSF

The notice is noticed

Take It Easy

Think 70's Lalo Schifrin, some seeping Bruno Nicolai dread bleeding into romanticism and that Japanese 'pink music' that was erotica made for truckers to listen to. I've probably got my comparisons wrong, I just like soundtracks, I'm not really much of an expert.

Btw sniff :'( :'( :'( ...the songs in the film Belle and Sebastian (about a boy and a dog not about a twee band) make me weep like a Central American statue of the blessed virgin. It's the best dog film I saw last year, it's got gorgeous scenery and has a few fashion moments. Not really a highly contested category at the Oscars but I like a dog film and this one is really good and doesn't have that whole 'it's got a dog in it, doggy people will watch any old shit with pooches, just phone it in' thing. The runner up is Oddball btw though since Belle was a couple of years old before I saw it, Oddball goes home with the prize on a technicality..

D

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:35 pm

anyone ever seen the movie "waking life"? i have that soundtrack on at the moment. it's really haunting. suits the slower parts of the movie really well. however, i will say the movie is pretty pretentious at times.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BZhPIut3U8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:19 am

The Revenant soundtrack by Ryuichi Sakamoto and Alva Noto (available on 2x12 or digital) is excellent and for me a bigger draw than the actual film, which is just OK. Though perhaps I'm struggling to see through the monumental hype. I'm an admirer of both artists and they collaborate to good effect here.

To be honest Mrs S has played this so much that I'm a wee bit sick of it but it's an excellent and rather beautiful minimalist score.

The Revenant Main Theme

Arriving at Fort Kiowa- which carries a whisper of Forbidden Colours

Out of Horse

I also likedJóhann Jóhannsson's ‎– Sicarioscore, another OST which is IMO better than the host film

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:47 am

The Witch OSt by Mark Korven is superbly creepy, wheezing, churning, black lunged, folk dread (some of it reminds me of the Ambrosia Singers theme to Children of the Stones). Sadly the vinyl isn't out for a few months and my resistance to ponying up twice lasted but an hour and I bought the digital, which I wouldn't want to listen to while walking in the woods at night.

Tirrifyling as my youngest is wont to say! :ph34r:

You can listen to the whole thing (((((((((((((HERE)))))))))))))))

I really fancy the film but it's not out yet.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:50 am

Clark's OST for The Last Panthersis superb. I've not seen the show yet but I'm definitely going to ASAP.

I adore the music which is deliciously atmospheric, mournful, flint hard, icy and yet darkly romantic and filled with twinkling nursery rhyme melody. It marks a departure in style for Clark, sidestepping his trademark rippling clonk but you can still feel his touch in the editing and arrangement and in many ways I think he's had one foot on this road throughout his career. Sometimes it reminds me of a remixed version of In The Nursery, blown with Thomas Koner vastness.

Clark • The Last Panthers Album Trailer

Vinyl isn't yet but you get the DL when you preorder from Bleep (where it's well priced) and where you can check out more samples.

Incidentally David Bowie provided the theme song which is an edited version of Blackstar which is of course available elsewhere.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:45 am

Clint Mansell's score to High Rise is excellent and kinda surprising (though not as surprising as it being brought to you by Mr Beaver Patrol) since I watched the trailer's which are soundtracked with 80's Tangerine Dream and Com Truise I took this as a cue as to how the OST would sound but it's much more classically cinematic.

Vinyl is up on preorder and you get the digital upfront.

If you are on Spotify I think you can listen here.

also;

Don’t think, feel: Clint Mansell on High-Rise, ABBA and getting Portishead back in the studio

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:42 am

Jóhann Jóhannsson with Hildur Guðnadóttir (recommended) & Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe - End of Summer

Beautifully desolate and emotionally resonant soundtrack to Antarctic short film. You can get it digital and as DVD/CD bundle but I just got the beautifully packaged 500 only vinyl with laser cut sleeve.

You can listen here.

D

BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by BlixaFan » Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:01 pm

shadowplay wrote:Jóhann Jóhannsson with Hildur Guðnadóttir (recommended) & Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe - End of Summer

Beautifully desolate and emotionally resonant soundtrack to Antarctic short film. You can get it digital and as DVD/CD bundle but I just got the beautifully packaged 500 only vinyl with laser cut sleeve.

You can listen here.

D
thank you so much for this post. excellent stuff!

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:03 am

BlixaFan wrote:
shadowplay wrote:Jóhann Jóhannsson with Hildur Guðnadóttir (recommended) & Robert Aiki Aubrey Lowe - End of Summer

You can listen here.

D
thank you so much for this post. excellent stuff!
You are more than welcome. I'm happy someone else likes this.

D

echobaseone
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by echobaseone » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:14 am

Waaaaay more lowbrow than the beautiful stuff above, but still moving in it's own weird way...
Basil Poledouris' Conan the Barbarian. Chock full of French Horns and Timpani, with a little nod to spaghetti western if you listen hard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LANHWwEjOAU

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:19 am

John Carpenter - Lost Themes II is out in the wild and I guess this is as good a place as any to post about it.

John Carpenter - Persia Rising.

D