OSG goes OST...Soundtracks...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: OSG goes OST...Soundtracks...

Post by shadowplay » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:51 am

Moominmama wrote:All nice things are good for you
The Grahame Miller and Steve Shill soundtrack to the the British dub of the Polish Moomins 'Fuzzy Felt' animation is properly fucking fantastic.
Finders Keepers wrote:Imagine, if you will, a foreboding homemade electro-acoustic, new age, synth driven, proto-techno, imaginary world music Portastudio soundtrack for a Polish-made animated fantasy based on a Finnish modern folk tale and created for German and Austrian TV, composed in 1982 by two politically driven post-punk theatre performers from a shared house in Leeds!

To even the most perspicacious and adventurous of alternative music fans the genuine bloodline of this previously unreleased record already begins to sound like an entire record collection in one sitting. It would be surprising if this project’s ambitious and exotic credentials didn’t tick at least one box on your musical matrix and without one drop of unnecessary nostalgic hyperbole this project already sounds like the perfect fantasy record that you’ve never heard. Alternatively we could just say The Moomins and, for many, things would instantly begin to make perfect sense.

From the same social landscape as Gang Of Four, The Mekons and Impact Theatre Co-operative – armed with a Wasp synthesiser, an ocarina and a cassette of the Robinson Crusoe music taped off the TV, Graeme Miller and Steve Shill used minimum means for maximum mayhem, instilling over 35 years of dreamlike illusory fuzziness and freakiness into the memories of a generation of school age TV addicts waiting for the next 5 minute fix of outernational fuzzy felt folklore. Collected here, all in one place for the first time, Finders Keepers in close collaboration with the original composers finally bring the original homemade micro-melodies and reintroduce them to a musical landscape where fans of vintage electronics, concrète tape effects, pocket percussion and domestic synths are finally ready to be reunited with the magnetic music of Moominvalley.
It's genuinely astonishing music and it's something of a genius move to put it out, I remember being totally charmed by the theme, I bought the DVD for the kids and getting this release is something of a dream for me.

I was luck enough to get one of the presale Snorkmaiden 'pleather' editions but it's going to be out in Feb and well worth the preorder which is up in various places.

You can listen to the whole thing here; Graeme Miller & Steve Shill - The Moomins

I particularly recommend Midwinter Rites which comes from this brilliant and quite scary episode; Moomin 27: The Winter Bonfire. It really reminds me of Andrew Liles - The Great Beast In Outer Space (Josè Manuel Rework) which is one of the best 12's of the year IMO.

The fuzzy felt Finders Keepers Moomin Christmas version of Silent Nightis ace too but sold out in physical form in less than 30 minutes.

I almost put this in the obscure Post Punk thread since in many ways it's closer to minimal synth bedroom oddballs like Malcolm Brown (Scotland) than it is to most things.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

whisperit
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by whisperit » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:22 am

to be honest, I was kinda skeptical about the Moomins, thinking it would be too library for me, but I'm glad to be wrong - this actually sounds pretty relevant, so I'll be happy to get a regular edition and to turn my room into Moominvalley!

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:37 pm

thanks to my finnish fiancee, i fell in love with moomins. it has such a sweet innocent feel with just a little bit of darkness in it.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:21 am

soundtracks. i have the soundtrack to one of my fave movies playing right now. persepolis. i love this movie/book so much, i named my car after the writer. but the movie has a fantastic soundtrack and embodies the feel of the movie just in the opening track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOGMTzxasm8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:55 pm

I screened Almost Holy last night at a global health event and while my heart was left in pieces I did enjoy the grinding soundtrack [which turns out to be available through the excellent Sacred Bones Records] courtesy of brothers Atticus and Leopold Ross as well as Bobby Krlic of Haxan Cloak fame.
After the collapse of the Soviet Union, Ukraine's social and political institutions faced massive change, including an increasingly corrupt government and crippled infrastructure. A number of the nation's youth wound up homeless and addicted to a lethal cocktail of injected cold medicine and alcohol. Steve Hoover’s documentary Almost Holy follows a pastor named Gennadiy Mokhnenko, who saves street kids, at times by forcible abduction, and brings them to his Pilgrim Republic rehabilitation center—the largest organization of its kind in the former Soviet Union. The film’s depiction of a country in the grip of poverty, addiction, and warfare is made even more powerful by its captivating electronic score by award-winning composer Atticus Ross, his brother Leopold Ross, and Bobby Krlic (The Haxan Cloak).

The film isn't for the squeamish: more images of children bearing the often grizzly injuries of homelessness, chronic alcoholism, and IV drug use than I ever wanted to see, but it's a thought provoking watch however you might feel about Gennadiy or his methods. The soundtrack on the other hand is violence free and a great slab of churning coal fired industrial electronic (some guitar too if that's important to anyone).

Some bits on youtube (warning: graphic content)

Atticus and Leopold Ross - Wild Moose
Atticus and Leopold Ross - Punching Bag
Bobby Krlic - The End

And a bonus for the gear/interview-inclined: mini doc from Moog with Atticus Ross discussing the making of the soundtrack...more modular synth than you can shake a patch cable at and a couple glimpses at some nice pedals too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nNJDomqHOk
shadowplay wrote: This looks like it's going to be amazing, I'm right on the Pre-order train with this one. Even if I couldn't hear any of it the sleeve with a Snowy owl in both winter and summer plumage just says BUY ME!

Dungen - Häxan

Only one track out in the wild but it's fantastic.

Dungen - Jakten genom skogen
I was giddy with excitement over this and it's lived up to some ionospheric expectations.

My sacrifices to the forest moss mellotron tape echo gods for a physical release of this [loosely] soundtrack came worked :w00t: -- I was fortunate enough (*thanks lucky stars*) last March to witness this played to the film live and in extended form out in an amphitheater converted from an old grain storehouse out in the West Texas desert and had been hoping some version would make it to record ever since.

Live it was an utterly religious experience. The musicianship was stellar as always (especially grateful to have had a front row view practically breathing down Reine Fiske's neck as he manned his mellotron battle station), and the real highlight was the communal feel to the show...Marfa residents were given free admission so all sorts came out and it was truly special looking next to me at the standing ovation following the show and seeing a cowboy hatted man probably in his late 70s shedding tears, it was that powerful.

It's a different experience pared down and transmogrified to wax but no less brilliant. Further proof (as if Allas Sak wasn't enough) that Dungen can melt minds just as capably wielding a mellotron as with a fuzz face.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:01 am

nanamour wrote:I screened Almost Holy last night at a global health event and while my heart was left in pieces I did enjoy the grinding soundtrack [which turns out to be available through the excellent Sacred Bones Records] courtesy of brothers Atticus and Leopold Ross as well as Bobby Krlic of Haxan Cloak fame.
I've just bought this, good recommendation.
I really like the unsettling but beautiful OST to Girl With all The Gifts by Cristobal Tapia De Veer which I've not seen.
D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:53 am

I've been listening to Elizabeth Parker - A Portrait of the Earth which is the OST for the 80's BBC nature series The Living Planet. I've had this for donkey years on BBC Records after deciding to steal it from the record library and just pay the fine. This sounds a bit snide but the card was empty, I was the only person ever to take it out and I did pay a fine for 'damaging it'.. Anyway I just bought the reissue on Silva Screen and it's just wonderful.

I know a lot of Radiophonic Workshop aficionados don't like the synth stuff but I love this record for it's crisp and cold sound.

If you are outside the Uk you might be able to stream the whole thing; Elizabeth Parker - A Portrait of the Earth. If not you are down to shop samples from Juno and one stray short track. I love the sound and I love how 'Northern Forests' and 'Jungle' sound a bit like Jeff Waynes Fry's Turkish Delight theme.

D

mijmog
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mijmog » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:39 am

I love the Motorcycle Diaries soundtrack. A mixture of beautiful soundscapes, traditional music and some interesting Fender vs Trad instrument clashes going on.

Main theme:
Motorcycle Diaries - Apertura

Noise:
Motorcycle Diaries - El Cruce

Nice electric guitar meets traditional drum beat thing:
Motorcycle Diaries - La Salida

Something else:
Motorcycle Diaries - De Usuahia a la Quiaca - Gustavo Santaolalla

MechaBulletBill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by MechaBulletBill » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:25 am

vale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vale » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:22 am

glad i found this thread. am a beast for hauntology & library but get filtering fatigue. so quality control & recommendations appreciated.

here's a favourite find from last year (from an ok anni di piombo 60s italian gangster flick. one of my many fetishes).
whole film now gone from yt (they are being v shitty for deleting things this year) but this tune remains.
morricone, the great. & lisa is a lush.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcugbD3qC8E
i am an animal.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:37 am

vale wrote:glad i found this thread. am a beast for hauntology & library but get filtering fatigue. so quality control & recommendations appreciated.
It's slightly OT but I'm a fan of Brunton and Chappell AV music library stuff and I'd recommend the record below as well as the other records in the series.

Various Artists Glistens

Having previously explored the world of 60’s and 70’s library music with their Nuggets, Connectors and Digs compilations, Lo Recordings now brings to your ears the wonders of 80’s library music.

Long derided by those in search of fat beats and funky grooves, the 80’s reveal themselves to be a time of unparalleled musical exploration and invention.

As with all library music an enormous amount of sifting was needed and the man for the job was no less than Ed Macfarlane of renowned pop band Friendly Fires.

You can here a lot of this influence on The Pattern Forms album Ed did with Jon Brooks this year.

I'd also recommend Happy Machine: Standard Music Library 1970​-​2010 and the preceding comp

Tomorrow’s Achievements: Parry Music Library 1976​-​86

D

vale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vale » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:10 pm

shadowplay wrote:
vale wrote:glad i found this thread. am a beast for hauntology & library but get filtering fatigue. so quality control & recommendations appreciated.
It's slightly OT but I'm a fan of Brunton and Chappell AV music library stuff and I'd recommend the record below as well as the other records in the series.
D
thanks D. will give those links attention over the weekend. i listened to LO comp samples & def sound-mining potential. one reminded me of this favourite of mine from the end credits of frantic.
a classic mid80s lush synth elegy which then does a curious & charming thing from halfway through. totally unexpected & totally morricone. he's a genius. he can touch any genre & it's always him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrISSYhJbW4

generally i am more inclined to pre1980s catalogue. introduced through bands of my teens, broadcast & stereolab. protosynth & electronica from 1950s-70s, bbc radiophonic, avant garde classical & world library. but so much to go through means i have to dip in & out to avoid ending up with dead ears.
& a 1950s/60s/70s euro arthouse film obssessive, so much treasure there. morricone, gainsbourg, lai et al.

will post worthy new finds & old favourites here as & when.
i am an animal.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:44 am

vale wrote:
generally i am more inclined to pre1980s catalogue. introduced through bands of my teens, broadcast & stereolab. protosynth & electronica from 1950s-70s, bbc radiophonic, avant garde classical & world library. but so much to go through means i have to dip in & out to avoid ending up with dead ears.

There's the odd discussion related to that sort of thing one here. you'll fit in OK.
shadowplay wrote:
Moominmama wrote:All nice things are good for you
The Grahame Miller and Steve Shill soundtrack to the the British dub of the Polish Moomins 'Fuzzy Felt' animation is properly fucking fantastic.
There's an article on this in the Guardian supplement today;

You Gotta Troll With it; The Moomins was celebrated for it's quirky visuals - but it's music was just as unusual!

D

vale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by vale » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:19 am

just a teatime random for you teatime randoms.
the boston wrangler by michel legrand (from the thomas crown affair, 1968).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUIEdjXu3nI
i am an animal.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:37 am

vale wrote:just a teatime random for you teatime randoms.
the boston wrangler by michel legrand (from the thomas crown affair, 1968).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUIEdjXu3nI
Funnily enough, talking of T. Crown/Legrand, I just read the other day that The Windmills of Your Mind was actually written for Les parapluies de Cherbourg, which was news to me.