Good Music Docos / Documentaries

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
scottT
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Good Music Docos / Documentaries

Post by scottT » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:33 pm

Just watched "The Wrecking Crew". It's a documentary about a group of L.A. studio musicians who were responsible for recording hundreds of records in the '60s. It's basically a labor of love by Denny Tedesco, (son of the late Tommy Tedesco) who used a Kickstarter campaign to help get it completed. I'd recommend it if you have any interest at all in this sort of thing. What strikes me is what a grind it must have been...very factory like. But this group owned that environment and in a world where time is money, they were total pros who could be relied on to knock out a quality track efficiently. Supported by lots of interviews and first hand accounts, it is a great look at a vibrant scene of a bygone era. You may find yourself surprised by just how many hits these guys (and gal, Carol Kaye) did.

PJazzmaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Location: Bo Diddley Technical Institute of Cryptozoology (European HQ)

Post by PJazzmaster » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:02 am

This trailer, not 100% music related but for sure quite interesting (I have not seen the full movie yet but I guess that I know at least 30% of the material from other documentaries):

https://vimeo.com/116847987" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:32 am

I recently watched the long-in-production "Beautiful Noise".

I was dismayed at how bad it is, given all the time it took to get it out there. Unrelated episodic segments of seminal shoegazing and noise bands. No interesting information of any kind. Quite disappointing.

I thought the doc about Creation Records was ten times as good.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:03 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:I recently watched the long-in-production "Beautiful Noise".

I was dismayed at how bad it is...
this bums me out, as i was really looking forward to seeing it. thanks for the warning, though, before i ordered a copy :(
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:08 pm

following a recent train of thought, i'd generally commend "Tell Me Do You Miss Me," in which the filmmaker followed Luna around on (what was then expected to be) their final tour in 2005. i took issues with the editing at points, and the song selection, but on balance it was good.

mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mackerelmint » Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:09 pm

scottT wrote:Just watched "The Wrecking Crew". It's a documentary about a group of L.A. studio musicians who were responsible for recording hundreds of records in the '60s. It's basically a labor of love by Denny Tedesco, (son of the late Tommy Tedesco) who used a Kickstarter campaign to help get it completed. I'd recommend it if you have any interest at all in this sort of thing. What strikes me is what a grind it must have been...very factory like. But this group owned that environment and in a world where time is money, they were total pros who could be relied on to knock out a quality track efficiently. Supported by lots of interviews and first hand accounts, it is a great look at a vibrant scene of a bygone era. You may find yourself surprised by just how many hits these guys (and gal, Carol Kaye) did.
They played on so much good stuff; I'd be really interested to watch this. Thanks for the heads up, I didn't know it existed.
This is an excellent rectangle

windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by windmill » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:24 pm

Found the 25th anniversary edition of Dead Kennedy's Fresh Fruit for Rotting Vegetables second hand, which came with a DVD about the early days of the band.
Had East Bay Ray and Klaus, no Jello and no Ted.
The songs were live performances, with less than 30 second snippets of album tracks, obviously a rights issue there.

Filled in the background of the band, the role Ray had with the sound of the band. It was well made but could have been longer.

The single version of Holiday in Cambodia is still a great tune.

Recommended for fans

Plumerai
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Plumerai » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:02 pm

mediocreplayer wrote:I recently watched the long-in-production "Beautiful Noise".

I was dismayed at how bad it is, given all the time it took to get it out there. Unrelated episodic segments of seminal shoegazing and noise bands. No interesting information of any kind. Quite disappointing.

I thought the doc about Creation Records was ten times as good.
I didn't understand why Billy Corgan & Trent Reznor received so much face time.

there's a slowdive doc on pitchfork that's good.
the cardigans - life, the true story.
the story of anvil

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:05 am

I don't know if it is 'good' but there's a documentary on Industrial Music due called; Industrial Soundtrack For The Urban Decay. It's about proper industrial music not that American metalz geetarz with keyboards and shouting pish. Anyone who pops into Song of the Day on occasion will probably know I've an industrial bee in my bonnet so I really want this to do the music justice.

I'm not really sure if it's going to work, I generally don't enjoy Docs about scenes I witnessed first hand and part of me feels that such docs are also best made by people who lived through it but we'll see. Cosey Fanni Tutti is in the film and I could listen to her talk to infinity, so it has that going for it.

One thing's for sure, the Mixtape section of the film's website looks far more keyed in for the most part than similar efforts I've seen in the past which often look a bit 'wikipedia goes to youtube'.

There was an article in yesterdays Guardian which I'll be dammed if I can't find it to link to. It was OK and I was immediately reassured by Alexi Petridis roping in Graeme Revell for a chat (and in him being a long term TG fan), he's often sidelined in such discussions.

I remember saying this would be crap years ago on here, I'm old enough to remember the in period interviews and the band members weren't exactly David Niven when it came to badinage or spinning a fruity anecdote.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

dinosaurkale->
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dinosaurkale-> » Sat Aug 08, 2015 5:55 pm

Beware of Baker was aaaaaiiiiigggghhhhttttt

feelblue
PAT PEND
PAT PEND

Post by feelblue » Sat Aug 08, 2015 8:54 pm

Greenwich Village: Music that defined a generation
https://vimeo.com/52484555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Great made about most important american folk scene

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:46 am

Netflix has a new original documentary on Bob Weir called "The Other One" that is really good.

i've never cared about the Grateful Dead one way or the other. but their legend as products of/contributors to a particularly dynamic period of American history is unique, and the doc certainly captures the spirit of the band and the times. and Weir is just an interesting cat generally, with great stories and a different approach to his instrument.

the doc actually made me wish i hadn't skipped all those Dead shows over the years :wtf:

Domm
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Domm » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:38 am

the muscle shoals documentary is awesome! I also like the recent big star doc as well!

fuzzking
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fuzzking » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:23 am

ANVIL
Last Days Here
Nobody exists on purpose.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:48 am

i see Netflix has an original documentary on Keith Richards coming out on Sept. 18, and i'm guessing it will be entertaining on various levels.

the title: "Under the Influence"

:w00t: