Brian Jonestown Massacre

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
XIIduostang!
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Brian Jonestown Massacre

Post by XIIduostang! » Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:44 am

So I bought Satanic Majesties Second Request. It's awesome and I was wondering what other albums by these guys you would suggest.
That is all.
"But this goes to 11"

Ceylon
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Brian Jonestown Massacre

Post by Ceylon » Sat Jul 19, 2014 10:07 am

I got into "Satanic" about a year ago and now I'm completely sold on BJM :w00t: Lots of good stuff awaits you.

The compilation "Tepid Peppermint Wonderland" is a pretty good start. It has a lot of the "essential" songs. As does their collection of singles between 1992 and 2011.

"Bravery, Repetition and Noise" is a good album and so is "Strung Out In Heaven". "Give It Back" is great!

The two latest albums, "Aufheben" and "Revelations" are both good once you have a frame of reference. Same thing with "My Bloody Underground" which is weirder but still cool.
Science Friction burns my fingers
Electricity still lingers

mediocreplayer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mediocreplayer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:28 am

Seconding Tepid Peppermint, but really, they are all good.

Also, go watch the Dig! documentary on Youtube.

Ex Lion Tamer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ex Lion Tamer » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Q. Anton, did you sell your soul?
A. Well, I tried to but the line was so long I said "fuck it".

candy apple
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by candy apple » Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:34 pm

Start with Methodrone and work your way through. They cover a lot of genres from shoegaze to rock and roll to electronica but always great.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:57 pm

Ceylon wrote:Lots of good stuff awaits you.

The compilation "Tepid Peppermint Wonderland" is a pretty good start. It has a lot of the "essential" songs. As does their collection of singles between 1992 and 2011.

"Bravery, Repetition and Noise" is a good album and so is "Strung Out In Heaven". "Give It Back" is great!

The two latest albums, "Aufheben" and "Revelations" are both good once you have a frame of reference. Same thing with "My Bloody Underground" which is weirder but still cool.
THIS!

In my opinion, they haven't released a bad album yet (I'm a huge fan so I would say that).

Take It From The Man is also particularly good (the first track, Vacuum Boots, is my personal favourite by them).

Also, get to see them live, ASAP. They've come a long way and, in the UK in particular, are playing to big crowds these days. I guess they've been crowned the Godfathers Of The Psychedelic Revival. What I have noticed is just how far they're travelling away from their best known sound, just as every other psych band seems to be emulating them, to a degree. It's testament to Anton's prolific songwriting ability & genuine talent. I also think his living in Europe has sculpted his new sound.

Though it's a pretty skewed image of the band you might want to watch the documentary, Dig!, if you haven't already. It's incredibly entertaining & paints their tambourinist, Joel, in a beautiful light. I think he gained a hell of a lot of fans from that film (in the same way Anton gained a lot of provocateurs).
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:09 am

If Swallow Tail's on it, its good.

mr bungle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr bungle » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:11 am

Prefer former member Peter Hayes BRMC, but a guy I know from Dunedin, NZ is now playing drums for BJM. Constantine 'Dino' Karlis, formerly of HDU & Dimmer (Shayne Carter)...

HDU

Dimmer

wrath
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wrath » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:10 pm

"Take it from the man" is an incredible album. It was my introduction to the BJm thanks to a friend that loaned me the CD. The material is strong from start to finish and they still play a fair representation of those songs live. Favourites would be "Who?" and "Straight up and down".

I would also recommend "Methodrone / Space girl (Compilation)", although it's less of the 60's revival, Strung Out in Heaven and Aufheben.

Lifetimesupply
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lifetimesupply » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:11 am

Love this band. Despite all the heaped on psychedelic retro stylings there is some pretty stellar song writing going on. "Tepid Peppermint Wonderland" always gets a run in our house, I don't mind some of the newer stuff either. Some of the songs off Aufheben make surprisingly good jogging music :wtf: If you haven't already, check out the documentary "Dig". Seeing them live can be a pretty mixed bag, often heavily dependent on Antons state of mind plus now so many morons get a kick out of trying to antagonize him.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:35 am

Lifetimesupply wrote:Seeing them live can be a pretty mixed bag, often heavily dependent on Antons state of mind plus now so many morons get a kick out of trying to antagonize him.
Seriously, that's a thing of the past now.

The last time I saw them (and probably the best time to date) Anton was loving it. How can you not love a sold out gig at the Roundhouse in London? Having Matt Hollywood back in the band has really opened them up & relaxed things an stage. They're playing really varied stuff too, whereas in the past they'd seem to have a setlist that rarely changed (and none of the newer material ever seemed to get played).

Dig! is a great documentary but I think it's partly responsible for the idiots in the crowd that still heckle & throw stuff, just to try'n get a rise out of him. A guy at the last gig threw an orange on stage & Anton just told the audience to stop throwing shit & questioned why people would pay in to a gig only to then try & disrupt it. Fucking brainless arseholes!
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Lifetimesupply
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Lifetimesupply » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:52 am

PorkyPrimeCut wrote: Dig! is a great documentary but I think it's partly responsible for the idiots in the crowd that still heckle & throw stuff, just to try'n get a rise out of him. A guy at the last gig threw an orange on stage & Anton just told the audience to stop throwing shit & questioned why people would pay in to a gig only to then try & disrupt it. Fucking brainless arseholes!
Yes, that was the point I was trying to make. Dig! Definitely turned a lot of people on to their music but also made them and Anton especially a bit of a target. I really don't understand heckling in general, especially when it morphs into violence. I remember being at an Artic Monkeys show and people started throwing coins at them, seemingly in appreciation. It was kind of like extreme busking.

Ex Lion Tamer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ex Lion Tamer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:55 pm

mr bungle wrote:Prefer former member Peter Hayes BRMC, but a guy I know from Dunedin, NZ is now playing drums for BJM. Constantine 'Dino' Karlis, formerly of HDU & Dimmer (Shayne Carter)...

HDU

Dimmer
Two great New Zealand bands. I'm a huge Bailter Space and Straightjacket Fits fan too.

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:57 am

Ex Lion Tamer wrote:
mr bungle wrote:Prefer former member Peter Hayes BRMC, but a guy I know from Dunedin, NZ is now playing drums for BJM. Constantine 'Dino' Karlis, formerly of HDU & Dimmer (Shayne Carter)...

HDU

Dimmer
Two great New Zealand bands. I'm a huge Bailter Space and Straightjacket Fits fan too.
Much love for Bailter Space and the Fits in this house as well.

mr bungle
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mr bungle » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:27 pm

Me too <insert thumb up emoticon here>