Oh Marissa Nadler I love you...

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Oh Marissa Nadler I love you...

Post by shadowplay » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:31 am

Is anyone an admirer? She's come up from time to time but there hasn't been a thread that I can remember. New album July is a typically fathomless well of heart piercing, velveteen gorgeous. I've been working away this mildly gloomy March morning with July spinning on the office turntable while the gold finches flit to the niger feeder outside the window and I can just feel wonder in the air.

A couple of songs off July.

Dead City Emily

Desire this is just playing now :-*

Was It a Dream

A couple of songs off the previous record Sister which was a companion piece to the preceding album 'Marissa Nadler'

The Wrecking Ball Company

Constantine

A few Songs off Marissa Nadler

Baby, I Will Leave You In The Morning

In your Liar Bear and live

Alabaster Queen - I often call Mrs S my Alabaster Queen

Weddingthis has a decent video.

A couple of songs off Little Hells

Rosary

Mistress

The Hole is Wide - - with all time great line IMO - 'I'm more than blue, I'm Violet'.

The other LP's are great too but we are getting into too many links territory.

She great live too, whether it's with a band, solo or jsut her and the electric guitar/lap steel guy.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

electric12
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Oh Marissa Nadler I love you...

Post by electric12 » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:20 am

And the fact that she is rather easy on the eye has nothing to do with it? :)

weed_killer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by weed_killer » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:10 am

Well, I know you know I love her just as much, but it doesn't hurt to say it again. I pre-ordered July and I've been wearing it out since it showed up at my doorstep. I was hoping she'd play
in Toronto, but unfortunately the closest show is Montreal. Maybe next time.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:58 am

weed_killer wrote:Well, I know you know I love her just as much, but it doesn't hurt to say it again. I pre-ordered July and I've been wearing it out since it showed up at my doorstep. I was hoping she'd play
in Toronto, but unfortunately the closest show is Montreal. Maybe next time.
I've been the same, playing it again and again, I hoped more OSG folk would be into her. She's not playing locally but we have tickets to see her in London. I don't really blame her for not playing Glasgow, we have seen her playing to sparse crowds in some small dumpy places which should really be beneath her.

D

Ex Lion Tamer
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ex Lion Tamer » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:52 am

Long time fan. I got into her through her association with Greg Weeks of Espers.

Marissa Nadler - Bird On Your Grave

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu May 19, 2016 8:35 am

New album Strangers out tomorrow, I've already got it here through a favour and it's gorgeously swoonsome stuff and very much carrying on where July left off, being once again produced by Randall Dunn (Sunn O))), Earth). She has however added a bit more electric to her repertoire.

There's limited tracks to listen to on her Bandcamp and the physical is on Bella Union in the UK and Sacred Bones in the US.

One of those pop video things for All the Colours of the Dark.

Looking forward to seeing her next Friday.

D

cbrown
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cbrown » Thu May 19, 2016 9:02 am

electric12 wrote:And the fact that she is rather easy on the eye has nothing to do with it?
I think she's a bit scary looking to be honest:

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Thu May 19, 2016 9:07 am

Can't wait! I've been trying (I swear Santa!) to resist temptation while waiting for my preorder to arrive, but I might need to put my hands in stocks till then to avoid them taking me to her Bandcamp. I did hear All the Colors of the Dark and liked the electric direction.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Thu May 19, 2016 1:05 pm

She was the Wire's cover for May; unfortunately still waiting on my bedside table to be read.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri May 20, 2016 2:13 am

nanamour wrote:Can't wait! I've been trying (I swear Santa!) to resist temptation while waiting for my preorder to arrive, but I might need to put my hands in stocks till then to avoid them taking me to her Bandcamp. I did hear All the Colors of the Dark and liked the electric direction.
I'm loving the electric work on this, it's just perfectly pitched and set right into the songs (Like Hungry is the Ghost), like diamonds twinkling in the dark, in marked contrast to the all too commonplace guitar crotch shoved in your face. You almost have to lean in like someone's telling you a delicious secret, it's gorgeous, delicate and sparkling.

Its a joy to see and artist go from strength to to strength and some of the little production details really draw the ear like the sort of Fairlight stuff on Katie I know. Perhaps this is the record where she breaks though a bit (says David for the umpteenth time), surely there's a decent audience for her music out there and I'm not going to have to stand in an under 40 soul crowd again?

And seriously WHAT A VOICE, it seems so effortless, like she opens her mouth and exotic birds fly out, all to often I hear singers grunting away, heaving and pushing like...well...they are having toileting trouble.

I have to add that when I wrote 'I love you', I hadn't even thought about her looks, I don't really care about that, it's her swooning, yearning voice I'm in love with.

D

Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri May 20, 2016 5:05 pm

Never heard of her before, but she's fantastic! A few of the tracks I've listened to in the last few minutes remind me of what I like about The Lumineers and very stripped down bands like that: the vibe of the American farm country (hard to explain, as it's just a vibe). Some of the most amazing acoustic work I've ever heard. I just turned this on on youtube...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGvtg3q7CUU
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

nanamour
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by nanamour » Fri May 20, 2016 7:24 pm

shadowplay wrote:
nanamour wrote:Can't wait! I've been trying (I swear Santa!) to resist temptation while waiting for my preorder to arrive, but I might need to put my hands in stocks till then to avoid them taking me to her Bandcamp. I did hear All the Colors of the Dark and liked the electric direction.
I'm loving the electric work on this, it's just perfectly pitched and set right into the songs (Like Hungry is the Ghost), like diamonds twinkling in the dark, in marked contrast to the all too commonplace guitar crotch shoved in your face. You almost have to lean in like someone's telling you a delicious secret, it's gorgeous, delicate and sparkling.

Its a joy to see and artist go from strength to to strength and some of the little production details really draw the ear like the sort of Fairlight stuff on Katie I know. Perhaps this is the record where she breaks though a bit (says David for the umpteenth time), surely there's a decent audience for her music out there and I'm not going to have to stand in an under 40 soul crowd again?
So I succumbed (they sure don't make pillories they used to!) and made my way to Marissa's Bandcamp, the few tracks I've heard on there are absolutely gorgeous. I loved the little shimmers of electrics emerging from the Southern gothic dusk of July like fireflies (but never firecrackers) on songs like Was it a Dream, and it's great she's set her compass on that course for this album. I'll report back when I've given it a proper listen but I like what I hear so far. It's amazing how after seven(?) albums her voice still puts chills over me, it's like an intimate whisper and a string symphony all at once.

I hope she gets some long deserved recognition for this one too, it's such a crying shame when someone with so much talent and (in my eyes at least) broad appeal plays to just a handful (whether in person or on record). Off topic, but I was thinking the same thing a few weeks back when I saw Jessy Lanza at an outdoor university show supporting her new album Oh No to a somnolent crowd of around 25 who spent more time gazing at their phones and giving me hard looks for the private disco I was having all by myself in my running gear (I got tipped off about the show during my run minutes before it started, luckily it was on my route :ph34r: ) instead of properly enjoying a fun and highly dancable performance of tropical bob and tarnished chrome r&b.

Hope the Wire cover gets Marissa her some new listeners

noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by noisepunk » Fri May 20, 2016 9:41 pm

I really like her and am looking forward to the new album.

I love this one, though I have admit that I didn't realize it was a cover until just now (I've never been that into Sabbath):
https://soundcloud.com/marissanadler/so ... good-stuff

wingnutkj
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by wingnutkj » Sat May 21, 2016 12:22 am

Saw her years ago at an ATP (either the Dirty Three or the Pitchfork one, I think), and was suitably enamoured*. I'd lost off with her, but I just checked out the new album on Bandcamp and will be picking it up at my earliest convenience.

*And yes, she certainly is easy on the eye, and I have no problem admitting that finding certain musicians attractive contributes to their overall appeal to me.
Kenny

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sat May 21, 2016 3:50 am

nanamour wrote: I hope she gets some long deserved recognition for this one too, it's such a crying shame when someone with so much talent and (in my eyes at least) broad appeal plays to just a handful (whether in person or on record). Off topic, but I was thinking the same thing a few weeks back when I saw Jessy Lanza at an outdoor university show supporting her new album Oh No to a somnolent crowd of around 25 who spent more time gazing at their phones and giving me hard looks for the private disco I was having all by myself in my running gear (I got tipped off about the show during my run minutes before it started, luckily it was on my route ) instead of properly enjoying a fun and highly dancable performance of tropical bob and tarnished chrome r&b.

Hope the Wire cover gets Marissa her some new listeners
You hit on a pet peeve of mine, the increasing scarcity of dancing at gigs. Maybe I'm just old and unreasonable but where's the fun in standing there alternating between looking at social mince on your phone and holding it aloft to take shit photos, which will really only be any use if you need them for an alibi?* I'd have totally been shaking my tail feathers to Jessy Lanza, indeed I was when I saw her and Junior Boys a few months ago. Sometimes I think folk think they are either too cool to dance or that they fear ending up on the Internet as one if those 'dancing weirdos' that trend heavily on occasion. To me it's the folk who (talking a recent gig), spend the whole night huddled round a phone looking at tattoos on Instagram, that are the weirdos, not the hands in the air like they just don't care crowd.

D