Neil Young. Eternal Keeper of the Ultimate Guitar Sound.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
higgsblossom
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Neil Young. Eternal Keeper of the Ultimate Guitar Sound.

Post by higgsblossom » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:57 am

I would recommend "Rust Never Sleeps", but get it on vinyl. It's a great album, but depends a lot on the concept of A-side with acoustic songs and B-side with electric guitar. It's more or less two EPs on one LP and this effect gets lost if you don't have to turn the record around.

Other than that, the above list is close to perfection.

Now as this thread made me listen to "Le Noise" five times in a row, I guess I accidentally must have overlooked the perfection of this album and personally would say it's also amongst his best albums, but more because of its sound than the songs itself... but if you like Dinosaur Jr. you may also like this particular album because it's just Neil Young with an electric guitar and a lot of what the title says 8)
"500€? That's the price of a J Mascis Jazzmaster!"

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:09 am

@ Dave- there have already been enough good suggestions to keep you busy for a while, but if the Crazy Horse side of Neil is what you're going towards, I'd throw in a word for Broken Arrow. This thread has got me going through my albums, and this one is a prime example of NY and Crazy Horse doing THAT THING THEY DO. :-*
Watching the corners turn corners

AwesomeWelles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by AwesomeWelles » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:31 am

I got into NY back when Mirrorball was released - "Downtown" was the single and had me hooked completely. I was only 12 back then but one of the things that really got me was the guitar sound of the album.

Neil Young has since been a steady companion for me and his catalogue is so wide and varied.

One of my secret favorites is "Landing on Water" - so clunky and weird sounding, yet some really good melodies to be discovered

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:38 am

zhivago wrote:
pacemaker wrote: I would start with "Harvest" and "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere"
this!! :)

specifically: these!! :) these two records are the gateway drugs into Neil's world. 8)

as companion pieces, i'm not sure anyone has mentioned Neil's "Archives" series yet but the two titles i have are amazing. "Live at Massey Hall 1971" is a legendary solo acoustic performance in Toronto, while "Live at the Fillmore East" captures a show with Crazy Horse in support of "Everybody Knows." terrific stuff -
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

Ursa Minor
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Ursa Minor » Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:28 am

Zuma. ;)
The artist formerly known as kosmonautmayhem.

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:23 am

kosmonautmayhem wrote:Zuma.
+1

I used to play in a band in high school with a fellow who was big into Neil. NY's catalog has been a constant companion of mine ever since.

Zuma is always spinning on the turntable in the house. After all these years i'm sure i'm still not playing cortez the killer right. :(

pacemaker
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by pacemaker » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:15 pm

shoule79 wrote:
kosmonautmayhem wrote:After all these years i'm sure i'm still not playing cortez the killer right.
No worries, I'm sure Billy Talbot feels the same way! :D

shoule79
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shoule79 » Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:40 pm

pacemaker wrote:
shoule79 wrote:
kosmonautmayhem wrote:After all these years i'm sure i'm still not playing cortez the killer right.
No worries, I'm sure Billy Talbot feels the same way!
:D Touche!

countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by countertext » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:28 pm

After all your research and learnin', make sure to find your way to Hawks & Doves. That album has some deep voodoo in it. Once you've accepted Neil into your heart, you'll understand.

furtherpale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by furtherpale » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:41 pm

Once you are acquainted with his work well... His unplugged album is a fantastic demonstration of how to make that format work... I love the organ version of like a hurricane.
Sorry - I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

DaveC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DaveC » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:22 am

Wow, cheers guys. Cortez the killer from Zuma is just .....WOW!
Anymore suggestions for his heavier fuzzier stuff? Loving it so far!
Cheers
Dave

furtherpale
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by furtherpale » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:50 am

DaveC wrote:Wow, cheers guys. Cortez the killer from Zuma is just .....WOW!
http://youtu.be/UrtGaD9UwBk
http://youtu.be/7KxiEjPCXA8
Sorry - I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am...

johnnyyenagain
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by johnnyyenagain » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:17 am

furtherpale wrote:
DaveC wrote:Wow, cheers guys. Cortez the killer from Zuma is just .....WOW!
http://youtu.be/UrtGaD9UwBk
http://youtu.be/7KxiEjPCXA8

stepping away from the classics...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKaDCP-wKr8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
or anything else on Ragged Glory

antisymmetric
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by antisymmetric » Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:29 am

Watching the corners turn corners

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:15 am

OK I'm going to be contrary but I generally don't like most of the long guitar wigouts, especially live (I think it went Cowgirl in the Sand AMAZING, because it was built round a great song and ever after the majesty wore off IMO etc) and is it just me or are they getting longer? Ach I don't know...he seems to save his worst lyrics for them and it all gets a bit farty, I tend to favour'delicate' romantic Neil. Sometimes I think it can get a bit Emperors New Clothes, where he farts and the fans think it's gods thunder and some of the live stuff can get a bit like someone who is a bit hard of hearing shouting at you. I also try as much as I can to avoid reading or hearing anything he says post the 'aids potato incident' (which I am sure Vladimir Putin has a framed copy of) and ' big :-* for Reagan'. Though to be fair I increasingly try to know as little of the opinions and exploits of any musician and tend to concentrate on buying and listening to records comfortably walled off from their bigotry or rum actions.

That said I think the Dead Man LP works well. I advanced the above theory to my Postman recently (who is a prince among men, who always takes care of my record deliveries) and he said I didn't deserve to own the Dead Man double (or any rare Neil albums or singles) and that I was 'a fucking disgrace' and that I should 'fuck off back to all that synth pish where you belong'.

It took me a while to get into Neil at all, I'd say that it was the only music I got into through meeting my Mrs, she had six or seven LP's and I was flicking through her records and telling her that I had quite a few Neil albums and singles (bought in job lots) but I'd never played them, beyond the first ten seconds of some album or other, because my cousin was a longhair with a fondness for Queen and Meat Loaf and he liked him and I remember him going to see Young play with the Eagles and it felt wrong to even consider the guy after that. She rightly pointed out that I was more than happy to listen to Pentangle and other maypole steppers and stuck on After the Goldrush and my view shifted considerably.

Btw here is some footage of Neil busking in Glasgow prior to playing after the Eagles.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?