Modern Post Punk Primer

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by shadowplay » Wed Oct 15, 2014 5:58 am

The Ritual Howls (terrible name IMO) LP Turkish Leather a good modern post punk GUITAR record. It's got a bit of spaghetti western (or maybe just Western) feel to it but fear not dear listener it's not quite down the Fields Of The Nephilim flour dusted rabbit hole and while it does feature more than it's fair share of mildly deep and doomy vocals it's IMO enlivened but some fresher arrangements. A sprinkling of synthy icing sugar and a tacit acknowledgement that time has moved, beckons it forward.

Full LP on the Bandcamp. It's funny I've not downloaded the digital yet and just played the extra track...hmmm Paradise Place!

D

Edit; there's a track with sort of metal stuff in it that I predictable can't stand (No Witnesses) but the rest pretty good. Sometimes coming off like a cross between 16 Horsepower and The Sisters of Mercy.
Last edited by shadowplay on Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2670
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:48 pm
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:53 am

is this post punk? i dont know. im looking forward to this album, rising from the ashes of WOMEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSbYbFiLDtQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 17, 2014 2:47 am

fakeplasticdreams wrote:is this post punk? i dont know. im looking forward to this album, rising from the ashes of WOMEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSbYbFiLDtQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I bought the Cassette thingy they put out on Mexican Summer, I think it might be coming out on vinyl soon. It had a cover/photcopy of Bauhaus Dark Entries, so I guess this answers your question. The rest of it runs the gamut from post Velvets sort of stuff, into Messthetics, into a bit of a squally no wave feel.

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
Soggasaurus
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 371
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:40 am

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by Soggasaurus » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:30 am

I just read through this thread and I'm excited to have some options to break myself out of my Joy Division/PiL rut! I have to add, as far as modern post-punk goes, that Silence Yourself by Savages is awesome and badass. The physical release comes with a manifesto screed in the liner notes too, which is always greatly appreciated on any punk-related piece of art.

User avatar
sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1733
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by sammynb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:02 am

D, this might interest you.
Bedroom Suck Records is a small label out of Brisbane with a thing for young Australian post punk bands.
I'm a big fan of the Terrible Truths but the other bands playing the Sydney birthday show sound interesting.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by shadowplay » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 am

sammynb wrote:D, this might interest you.
Bedroom Suck Records is a small label out of Brisbane with a thing for young Australian post punk bands.
I'm a big fan of the Terrible Truths but the other bands playing the Sydney birthday show sound interesting.
Cheers I have a very shallow knowledge of that label, I've got Slug Guts and Ela Stiles but off the top of my head I've nothing else.

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25240
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 06, 2014 3:13 am

A nice little stocking filler (£6.24 inc P&P to UK with free dl) in this genre is the new 7' Sally Dige - Single onGlasgow's Night School records. File alongside In our Angelhood and Augen-Blick.

Sally Dige - Forget Me

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
triviani
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:56 am
Location: Osaka

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by triviani » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:12 pm

Kestrel- wrote:Nothing tops the original post-punk bands of the late 70s and 80s. Wire, Killing Joke, Joy Division, The Chameleons, Sad Lover & Giants, The Fall, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc..

However, lately I find myself hooked to The Prids. Love this band.

http://youtu.be/ECqKFUJg_gU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm going to agree with this. As much as some of these new bands try to emulate the spirit of the originals, I always find there's something missing. There are a few nice bands, and a multitude of average bands trying to sound clever and/or cool. But you put a Chamaleons album and it grabs you from the first verse.



(On a related note, anyone wants to start a post/punk band? I'll play bass)
An AC30 fired in anger can peel the paint from your automobile...

User avatar
sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1733
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by sammynb » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:43 pm

triviani wrote:
Kestrel- wrote:Nothing tops the original post-punk bands of the late 70s and 80s. Wire, Killing Joke, Joy Division, The Chameleons, Sad Lover & Giants, The Fall, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc..

However, lately I find myself hooked to The Prids. Love this band.

http://youtu.be/ECqKFUJg_gU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm going to agree with this. As much as some of these new bands try to emulate the spirit of the originals, I always find there's something missing. There are a few nice bands, and a multitude of average bands trying to sound clever and/or cool. But you put a Chamaleons album and it grabs you from the first verse.



(On a related note, anyone wants to start a post/punk band? I'll play bass)
I'm in. Vocals and rhythm guitar (way down in the mix with lots of distortion if that's okay???)

User avatar
triviani
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1342
Joined: Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:56 am
Location: Osaka

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by triviani » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:19 am

sammynb wrote:
triviani wrote:
Kestrel- wrote:Nothing tops the original post-punk bands of the late 70s and 80s. Wire, Killing Joke, Joy Division, The Chameleons, Sad Lover & Giants, The Fall, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc..

However, lately I find myself hooked to The Prids. Love this band.

http://youtu.be/ECqKFUJg_gU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm going to agree with this. As much as some of these new bands try to emulate the spirit of the originals, I always find there's something missing. There are a few nice bands, and a multitude of average bands trying to sound clever and/or cool. But you put a Chamaleons album and it grabs you from the first verse.



(On a related note, anyone wants to start a post/punk band? I'll play bass)
I'm in. Vocals and rhythm guitar (way down in the mix with lots of distortion if that's okay???)
Perfect ;D
An AC30 fired in anger can peel the paint from your automobile...

User avatar
sidewalk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by sidewalk » Fri Nov 14, 2014 2:27 pm

fakeplasticdreams wrote:is this post punk? i dont know. im looking forward to this album, rising from the ashes of WOMEN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSbYbFiLDtQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yeah I'd call that post punk. From what I've heard so far and from live videos I'm expecting their LP to be one of the best albums of 2015.

Fountain - s/t

"Angular guitar" punk from Victoria, BC. New band but good as fuck. One of the Viet Cong guys was wearing their shirt in a video.

Naomi Punk - Television Man

They're on Captured Tracks if you're familiar with that label. Cool as fuck drumming.

Dories - Stripped

Another Canadian act. Their full length is really, really good.

User avatar
Darcy-Noir
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 235
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:32 pm
Location: Adelaide South Australia
Contact:

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by Darcy-Noir » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:17 pm

sammynb wrote:D, this might interest you.
Bedroom Suck Records is a small label out of Brisbane with a thing for young Australian post punk bands.
I'm a big fan of the Terrible Truths but the other bands playing the Sydney birthday show sound interesting.
Reh Bedroom Suck is v hit and miss imo, though terrible truths are rly gd.

Rule of Thirds - http://ruleofthirds.bandcamp.com/
This 7" is great, and they have a full length coming out soon.

Multiple Man - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZ1k4SrXkqI , http://majorcrimes.bandcamp.com/album/m ... t-7-mcr011
Great Brisbane, 'synth punk' though more within Post-Punk, this song is off their most recent release, the previous are also rly good but less polished.

Lakes - http://lakes1.bandcamp.com/

Tol (Tax, line up and name change) http://nopatiencerecords.bandcamp.com/album/s-t-ep-8

Forces - http://technodissidents.bandcamp.com/tr ... red-states maybe post-post-punk/early edm idk still great
COME UP OUT DA WATER LIKE A BABY DOLPHIN
ALWAYS SEE ME GLISTENING LIKE I'M OUT DA WATER OFTEN

User avatar
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16456
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Eagle Rock, LOS
Contact:

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by noisepunk » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:35 pm

triviani wrote:
Kestrel- wrote:Nothing tops the original post-punk bands of the late 70s and 80s. Wire, Killing Joke, Joy Division, The Chameleons, Sad Lover & Giants, The Fall, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc..

However, lately I find myself hooked to The Prids. Love this band.

http://youtu.be/ECqKFUJg_gU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm going to agree with this. As much as some of these new bands try to emulate the spirit of the originals, I always find there's something missing. There are a few nice bands, and a multitude of average bands trying to sound clever and/or cool. But you put a Chamaleons album and it grabs you from the first verse.
I still think you're looking in the wrong places- the best modern post-punk (in my opinion, of course) is rarely the stuff that is trying to sound like Joy Division, PIL, etc. it's usually bands/artists that only share conceptual similarities; there are plenty of sound-alikes that are great too, but generally I agree, there's something missing.

Seems to me that part of the point of the genre to begin with was to embrace innovation, so it's just as counter productive to get stuck on those bands as a listener as it is to get stuck on them as a performer/writer.
They tried to give me advice, down at the record shop. I said "Sit down boys, this may come as a SHOCK. But alls I listen to, it's all freedom rock."

User avatar
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16456
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Eagle Rock, LOS
Contact:

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by noisepunk » Fri Nov 14, 2014 9:38 pm

sidewalk wrote:Naomi Punk - Television Man

They're on Captured Tracks if you're familiar with that label. Cool as fuck drumming.
I haven't seen them live since I moved from Seattle three years ago, but the drummer use to sit on a bucket with the kit way higher than him- it was the most interesting drumming arrangement I think I've every seen... also stressed me out big time. It's cool seeing them get some attention outside of Seattle, though they aren't my favorite band to come out of their little scene.
They tried to give me advice, down at the record shop. I said "Sit down boys, this may come as a SHOCK. But alls I listen to, it's all freedom rock."

User avatar
sidewalk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 200
Joined: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:00 pm

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by sidewalk » Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:36 am

noisepunk wrote:
sidewalk wrote:Naomi Punk - Television Man

They're on Captured Tracks if you're familiar with that label. Cool as fuck drumming.
I haven't seen them live since I moved from Seattle three years ago, but the drummer use to sit on a bucket with the kit way higher than him- it was the most interesting drumming arrangement I think I've every seen... also stressed me out big time. It's cool seeing them get some attention outside of Seattle, though they aren't my favorite band to come out of their little scene.
Damn, that's pretty cool. It seems like there's been a solid amount of Seattle bands emerging in the past few years. I'm into Haunted Horses, FF, and Broken Water (although they're technically from Olympia). What bands were you into over there?

Post Reply