Modern Post Punk Primer

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by noisepunk » Sat Nov 15, 2014 1:02 pm

sidewalk wrote:
noisepunk wrote:
sidewalk wrote:Naomi Punk - Television Man

They're on Captured Tracks if you're familiar with that label. Cool as fuck drumming.
I haven't seen them live since I moved from Seattle three years ago, but the drummer use to sit on a bucket with the kit way higher than him- it was the most interesting drumming arrangement I think I've every seen... also stressed me out big time. It's cool seeing them get some attention outside of Seattle, though they aren't my favorite band to come out of their little scene.
Damn, that's pretty cool. It seems like there's been a solid amount of Seattle bands emerging in the past few years. I'm into Haunted Horses, FF, and Broken Water (although they're technically from Olympia). What bands were you into over there?
Talbot Tagora is one of my favorite bands ever, they stopped making music shortly before I moved there- I really liked M. Woman, Love Tan and Stephanie. There was this weird consignment store called Cairo that did shows and promoted "artsy" bands (not sure if they still do)- I bought this compilation they put out and used that as a kind of jumping off point. I wasn't there long enough to really get into most of it though.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:55 am

noisepunk wrote:
I still think you're looking in the wrong places- the best modern post-punk (in my opinion, of course) is rarely the stuff that is trying to sound like Joy Division, PIL, etc. it's usually bands/artists that only share conceptual similarities; there are plenty of sound-alikes that are great too, but generally I agree, there's something missing.

Seems to me that part of the point of the genre to begin with was to embrace innovation, so it's just as counter productive to get stuck on those bands as a listener as it is to get stuck on them as a performer/writer.
I agree with this wholeheartedly, it chimes with what I was saying a way back on page one of this thread.

In the broadest terms Shoc Corridor were Post Punk just as Silent Servant is Post Punk. Depends how you look at it, for me there was no Rock attached to Punk, the whole idea was freeing musicians from the box so many musicians live in to were painted into.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

triviani
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by triviani » Sun Nov 16, 2014 5:37 pm

noisepunk wrote:
triviani wrote:
Kestrel- wrote:Nothing tops the original post-punk bands of the late 70s and 80s. Wire, Killing Joke, Joy Division, The Chameleons, Sad Lover & Giants, The Fall, Echo & The Bunnymen, etc..

However, lately I find myself hooked to The Prids. Love this band.

http://youtu.be/ECqKFUJg_gU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm going to agree with this. As much as some of these new bands try to emulate the spirit of the originals, I always find there's something missing. There are a few nice bands, and a multitude of average bands trying to sound clever and/or cool. But you put a Chamaleons album and it grabs you from the first verse.
I still think you're looking in the wrong places- the best modern post-punk (in my opinion, of course) is rarely the stuff that is trying to sound like Joy Division, PIL, etc. it's usually bands/artists that only share conceptual similarities; there are plenty of sound-alikes that are great too, but generally I agree, there's something missing.

Seems to me that part of the point of the genre to begin with was to embrace innovation, so it's just as counter productive to get stuck on those bands as a listener as it is to get stuck on them as a performer/writer.
It's interesting to see how these 80s band were so innovative, and they got great sounds by using the "limited" technology of that time, just by being creative. You can get any sounds you could imagine from computers these days, but still, lots of new bands get lost trying to find some creative uses of drum machines and delay pedals.
An AC30 fired in anger can peel the paint from your automobile...

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:26 am

FYI the new DVA Damas 4-track EP 'Wet Vision' on Downwards America is ace. It's kinda pricey in 'yurp though.

DVA Damas - Wet Vision

If ye like this then checkout their LP Nightshade (and the preceding singles) which is a mite less electronik but still great.

Dva Damas - Out of Thin Air

DVA Damas - Nightshade

Taylor Burch also plays her Tele in top table moderne Post Punk doyens Tropic of Cancer, which isn't really news because Tropic of Cancer is where this thread came in.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:21 am

Get thee to thy local record emporia (or go to BEB* and pre-order and they'll send you the filez to tide you over till the record drops sometime in the next few weeks) and order the new and fully prime Tropic of Cancer EP.

Oh my! The majesty! :-*

Tropic of Cancer - Stop Suffering

Tropic of Cancer - I Woke Up And The Storm Was Over

Tropic of Cancer - When The Dog Bites

*where you can also buy a short comp with a few tracks off the Downwards releases

D

Slow-Pop
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Slow-Pop » Fri Oct 30, 2015 7:47 am

Can't wait for this to arrive!

mountaindaffodil
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by mountaindaffodil » Fri Oct 30, 2015 9:47 am

Not that I dislike the vocals, but I would prefer these as instrumental tracks.

cincinnatiharry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by cincinnatiharry » Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:21 am

shadowplay is so hip it hurts, thanks for the links
"some misguided Marin county hot-tubber"

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:07 am

Folk might want to have a look at VoX LoW from PAris. I've thought about writing up a quick section on them but they only release 12's and we're probably just getting into the zone where there's enough material out there.

I guess anyone who likes Colder will like them but they have a really nice queasy and semi sleazy feel and low slung bass of the correct specifications and sit in a moist little venn diagram hollow between Gothic Post Punk/EBM/early industrial/coldwave with just enough modernism to keep it interesting.

3 trk 12' 'Loving Hell' on the excellent Höga Nord

Vox Low - Loving Hell

and two other tracks to check out

Two 12's on Correspondent

The Hunt 12'

The Hunt

and a particular favourite of mine; I am a Strange Machine Sometimes

Something is Wrong 12' with 2 good remixes and second track which is kinda like a goth version of a 60's dance craze song.

I thought the title track said; 'you love the flanger, you are a bassplayer' but in sadly think it's 'spaceplayer' :(

Something is Wrong (Original)

It's 1940's in the Room

I wanna See The Light 12' on Astro Lab which has a really good Ivan Smaggle Remix (and I'd recommend checking out the really good post punk style bands on his label like Yula Kaspand CAR.

VoX LoW - I wanna See The Light ( Original ) kinda with a C&C Exotika feel

VoX LoW - Baby Brown

A couple of more limited releases on Everlast but available on digital

Trapped on the Moon 12'

and the more psyche feeling

Cast Upward, Through The Waves, A Ruby Glow.

They also do a good remix one of the highlights of 0216 for me was;
The Rattler Proxy - Oscillation (VoX LoW remix) I totally recommend The Rattler Proxy too, they are kinda like a cross between Clock DVA and Suicide.

D

Venice Lockjaw
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Venice Lockjaw » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:10 am

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Iceage yet, seems like an obvious candidate.

The Lord's Favorite: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=roB4hRdLlas

Some of the members are also involved in a group called Marching Church; they've posted some cool stuff as well:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rQ-OcXW6Icw

fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:38 pm

Not sure if this can be lumped under the "post punk" definition, but this is pretty good stuff

Farai - Lion Warrior

fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Wed Jan 18, 2017 4:53 pm

I didnt see this mention specifically for this thread, but for me this is one of the best "post punk" releases from 2016

Trentemøller - Where Shadows Fall

fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Wed Jan 18, 2017 5:36 pm

I think these ladies are releasing an EP proper this year ( side project of Savages bassist)

Kite Base - Soothe/Dadum

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:21 am

fakeplasticdreams wrote:I think these ladies are releasing an EP proper this year ( side project of Savages bassist)

Kite Base - Soothe/Dadum
I bought that single, not bad. I had no clue about the connection to Savages, I thought they were Swedish for some reason or other.
fakeplasticdreams wrote:I didnt see this mention specifically for this thread, but for me this is one of the best "post punk" releases from 2016

Trentemøller - Where Shadows Fall

Agreed. Good album and that song in particular (which always reminds me of this) with vocals from Lizbet formerly ofGiana Factorywho Anders produced and who plays guitar for him too. The full House of Shadowplay are off to see Trentemoller a week today!

Remixes due out tomorrow by Trentemoller and UNKLE, sadly not vinyl like the trailer singles for the album and the ones off the last one but looking forward to them anyway.

There was a file only remix of Complicated by The Soft Moon last month.

D

dylanafghjkl
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by dylanafghjkl » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:44 am

god, so much australian music. what a great thread

posting to remind myself to listen/relisten to all of this