Modern Post Punk Primer

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Modern Post Punk Primer

Post by shadowplay » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:51 am

^^^

I got a 12' by an Australian band called Pleasure Symbolsnot so long ago you might want to check out. They are kinda betwixt Mushy and Tropic of Cancer while not being as good.

However the current Aussie post punk gold standard is IMO Carla Dal Forno.

She's also in the equally wonderfulF ingersand Tarcar.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

sammynb
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by sammynb » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:02 pm

shadowplay wrote:^^^

I got a 12' by an Australian band called Pleasure Symbolsnot so long ago you might want to check out. They are kinda betwixt Mushy and Tropic of Cancer while not being as good.

However the current Aussie post punk gold standard is IMO Carla Dal Forno.

She's also in the equally wonderfulF ingersand Tarcar.

D
On Tropic of Cancer, they are touring Australia (well Syd & Melb) in February.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:38 am

Recently stumbled across Black Marble through other means of exploration and came here to see if they were on the list.

Of course they were; Shadowplay knows his stuff, haha.

Been listening to both albums non-stop, and as much as I'm weary of the concept of nostalgia, these guys really do seem to make me give into it. It's a weird, slightly melancholy feeling of bittersweet yearning waxing and waning that is just gorgeous.

There's a thread somewhere around here that has to do with your most recent top 10. I'd be hard pressed to not put one of them on that last for me. Even more difficult would be choosing which one.

Also, did anyone find the track Interdiction to be as absolutely horrifying as I did?

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:57 am

InLimbo wrote:
Of course they were; Shadowplay knows his stuff, haha.
In this case it was Geoff/Cestlamort who opened the door to them for me by pointing me at the first album.

D

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:54 am

Btw the new Sumerian Fleet 'Pendulum' is good fun if anyone has thing for [url=hhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6I7NGdNdfY]A Split Second[/url], Klinik, mid to late 80's Front 242 and even The Sisterhood. It's all good fun and I think you are meant to take it as seriously as the aforementioned A Split Second's Mambo Witch (which is a video treat all the way to the criminal guitar solo and it's always a laugh how the ripped of Living on The Ceiling not once, but twice), as evidenced by Seven Sins which has the protagonist yelling 'Sin, Repent, Repeat' while dressed in his tightest leather shorts, stripped to the waist and slathered in babyoil. It's ridiculous but it's a total floor killer.

Sumerian Fleet - Still Walking

Sumerian Fleet - This Game Has no Name

Sumerian Fleet - Pendulum

Sumerian Fleet - Thorazine

Excuse the millionth repost but just in case anyone hasn't heard it check out Sumerian Fleet member Alden Tyrell's; The Tyrell Corporation - Alone Together, which IMO is one of the very best attempts at welding Post Punk and dance music, coming on like Sixteen Days Gathering Dust shagging Primary in a club toilet.

I remember lots of folk on here liking Veronica Falls who I personally couldn't be bothered with but I like her enough as Patience and her new seven inch single The White of An Eye is pretty good if flying very close to the sun that is October Love Song covered by New Order and coming out on Cherry Red (actually Night School).

D

Mike S
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Mike S » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:59 pm

If we're defining postpunk as the more structured, melodic offshoot that started with The Wipers and continued with The Minutemen, Husker Du, Pixies etc., I would define Undersea Explosion as something of modern day post-punk.

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:44 am

Just wanted to post thanks again for this and similar threads - especially because I like the "example tracks". I really like being able to go through several artists until I find one that makes me want to hear more of their stuff. It's also nice to be able to listen to a variety of sounds if I'm too antsy for an album.

I'm really enjoying Black Marble. It's got great synth sounds, tasteful (at least to my tastes) reverb, and hits that area between joy and melancholy that makes it something I could listen to on almost any occasion.

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:53 pm

I really, really wanted to enjoy White Hex, especially after the first time I listened through Heat. I loved the feel, and the guitar work was superb, much of the same reason I really enjoy Flaamingos.

Second time, it was a let down, and each song seemed to sound quite similar to the one before. I'd be surprised if the whole album wasn't in the same key. The last song might be my favorite, but by not much of a margin compared to the rest. I couldn't even make it through the first song on my third listen.

Moved ahead to Gold Nights, and immediately noticed a change, like there is "more" or something. Got a little excited, but by the third song, realized that the shift was quite far from what I initially like when I first listened to Heat.

I really dig Flaamingos (the work they did with The KVB was great as well), probably my favorite on the list that I've entertained outside of Black Marble and was hoping this would be another. Maybe I'll enjoy White Hex another day when I'm not expecting them to sound like something they're not.

Shadowplay , I know you're not the biggest fan of guitaawrs, but any recommendations in particular that might meet me in the middle? Or anyone's recs, if they fit in with this thread.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 am

InLimbo wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:53 pm

Shadowplay , I know you're not the biggest fan of guitaawrs, but any recommendations in particular that might meet me in the middle? Or anyone's recs, if they fit in with this thread.
Sorry I missed this, need to give it proper thought but in the meantime.

I just got the new Rank/Xerox you might like that. One of them used to be in Lace Curtain who were ace.

VoX LoW use guitars, this is really good live footage of Something is Wrong.

I think the F ingers elpee Awkwardly Blissing Out is right up there this year.

You might like Snow Ghosts - Vetiver single, though it's pretty similar to Trentemoller.

You probably know Exploded View already but just in case....they have a new EP out in a week.

Btw not guitars at all but if you like Exploded View check; Shackleton with Anika - Behind The Glass

Btw part two the revenge...I like guitars, I just don't like rawking and a lot of stuff folk seem hellbent on doing with them mostly.

Oh I forgot I just bought Flesh World - Into The Shroud on Dark Entries which is all guitars and a fairly orthodox goth record but I've not played it all yet.

D
Last edited by shadowplay on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

NickD
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by NickD » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:46 am

shadowplay wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 am

Btw not guitars at all but if you like Exploded View check; Shackleton with Anika - Behind The Glass

'Tis excellent

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:51 am

NickD wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:46 am
shadowplay wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:40 am

'Tis excellent

That trilogy of albums is utterly superb IMO.

D

Singlebladepickup
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Singlebladepickup » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:03 am

Didn't know about Exploded View, but I like. Bandcamp said Anika's earlier work had "krautrockisms"...this calls for further investigation.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:07 am

Singlebladepickup wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:03 am
Didn't know about Exploded View, but I like. Bandcamp said Anika's earlier work had "krautrockisms"...this calls for further investigation.
It's mostly covers of standards done with Geoff from Portishead she does a nice version of I go to Sleep.

D

InLimbo
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by InLimbo » Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:50 am

Many thanks for this!

Just from sampling the links you provided, I've gotten some really nice first impressions Lace Curtain, Vox Low, and Exploded View (which I've not come across before).

I think you have another thread rolling with F ingers that I've recently checked out, but haven't given that a proper listen to yet.

The others I'll give a shot here after a while.

Thanks again D!

Also, I'll try my hand in offering a contribution to the thread (searching returned 0 results), but I think Fufanu might actually fit in here, in particular Circus Live from their first album Few More Days to Go, and the title track from their most recent album, Sports.

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:37 am

Not modern but probably new to a lot of non Glasgow folk is VAZZ. They started off very post punk, not unlike blue album Dif Juz but later on went very dream pop.

D