Deep Sea Diver

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
User avatar
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16456
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Eagle Rock, LOS
Contact:

Deep Sea Diver

Post by noisepunk » Tue May 21, 2013 5:26 pm

My first impression was a resounding meh, but they were the opening band for a show I went to last night and they were a lot of fun and actually sounded like something i could regularly listen to. I probably should've bought the new LP...

Anyways, I know they have a fairly large fan base on here, so here, have a thread for discussing and things.
They tried to give me advice, down at the record shop. I said "Sit down boys, this may come as a SHOCK. But alls I listen to, it's all freedom rock."

User avatar
fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2670
Joined: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:48 pm
Location: Malaysia
Contact:

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Tue May 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Jessica Dobson's band right? she plays a mean Elvis costello JM....she reminds me of St Vincent :)

User avatar
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16456
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Eagle Rock, LOS
Contact:

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by noisepunk » Wed May 22, 2013 6:52 pm

fakeplasticdreams wrote:Jessica Dobson's band right? she plays a mean Elvis costello JM....she reminds me of St Vincent
Yup- I get that comparison too; her music is a little more one note than St. Vincent, but I like the feel more.
They tried to give me advice, down at the record shop. I said "Sit down boys, this may come as a SHOCK. But alls I listen to, it's all freedom rock."

User avatar
BurgundyMist
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 314
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:40 am
Location: Europe

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by BurgundyMist » Sat May 25, 2013 7:34 am

History Speaks is one of my favourite albums in 2013 so far. I got the vinyl a few months ago and still keep playing it quite often. I also liked their gig in KEXP radio, it's free to watch on YouTube in case you haven't seen it.

User avatar
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16456
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Eagle Rock, LOS
Contact:

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by noisepunk » Sat May 25, 2013 12:32 pm

Yeah, I may have to grab a copy next time I'm out buying records- I think I'd probably listen to it. They remind me a little of the shins third album.

KEXP is a great resource for live recordings- honestly one of the only things I miss about living in Seattle is having that station at my fingertips without having to home and using the computer.
They tried to give me advice, down at the record shop. I said "Sit down boys, this may come as a SHOCK. But alls I listen to, it's all freedom rock."

User avatar
parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8032
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Contact:

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by parry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Because I've been on a total Deep Sea Diver and Jessica Dobson binge... I'm reviving this thread.
Here's a fantastic KEXP covers set she did with a couple of friends for International Women's Day, featuring ECJM content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403wSrpN9M8&t=1s
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

User avatar
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 15588
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:09 pm
Location: baltimore, md.

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by panoramic » Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:47 pm

parry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:08 pm
Because I've been on a total Deep Sea Diver and Jessica Dobson binge... I'm reviving this thread.
Here's a fantastic KEXP covers set she did with a couple of friends for International Women's Day, featuring ECJM content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403wSrpN9M8&t=1s
she's really good, their 1st record is NEAT shit
i used to be cool

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 7908
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:35 am

I just saw the recent KEXP video (part of it anyway) and dug her stuff. Funny timing to find this thread, especially an older thread. Checked out History Speaks and like what I'm hearing so far, but was it a local/streaming only release? I know it's from 2012, but even Amazon doesn't really have new copies of it. I'd like to pick it up on CD at least.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3472
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by stevejamsecono » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:42 am

Oh man, this is the thread for me.

So if you want to get into Deep Sea Diver, you should go straight to Secrets. History Speaks is still a good album but to my ears it sounds more singer-songwritery and less distinct, like Jessica and Co. were still working things out after she left The Shins. I still listen to it on occasion and it's got a few really good songs, but overall it hasn't been a record I've gone back to as much.

Secrets is the work of a band that have been churning internally for awhile and come back to the surface (no pun intended) with their own feel. That album is FULL of huge songs and the cleverness that goes into the parts, arrangements, and playing really rewards repeat listens. Jessica also can write a hell of a hook and some of those songs just stick in your head for days. I've seen them live the last few times they've been through Brooklyn and each time the show has followed the same format: DSD opening for a way less impressive band and putting on a really energetic and memorable show. I've become a really big fan of theirs and I can't wait for the next record to come out.

Also all of their shit should be on Spotify/Bandcamp. I bought my gal both records on vinyl for Christmas last year from them directly and actually had a nice email interaction with Jessica because of it.
OSG Resident Yamaha Fanboy

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 7908
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 pm

That's good to know. Maybe I'll stream the rest of History Speaks to see if I dig the whole thing. I'm glad you said something though! I totally forgot about Bandcamp. Thought I signed up years ago, but apparently I hadn't. I picked up the CD for Secrets, and have a few other things I'd forgotten about checking out as well.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3472
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:20 am

Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 pm
That's good to know. Maybe I'll stream the rest of History Speaks to see if I dig the whole thing. I'm glad you said something though! I totally forgot about Bandcamp. Thought I signed up years ago, but apparently I hadn't. I picked up the CD for Secrets, and have a few other things I'd forgotten about checking out as well.
It definitely has its merits, and tbf I wouldn't have stuck around to check out Secrets if I hadn't also liked History Speaks. I'd just say the leap from the latter to the former is pretty profound on all fronts, imo. Eventually I think it's gonna have it's day in the sun because it's too good not to.

They just announced tourdates on the East Coast so I hope this means that the new album is just around the corner.
OSG Resident Yamaha Fanboy

User avatar
panoramic
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 15588
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:09 pm
Location: baltimore, md.

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by panoramic » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:01 am

i used to be cool

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 10011
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by Maggieo » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:57 am

parry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:08 pm
Because I've been on a total Deep Sea Diver and Jessica Dobson binge... I'm reviving this thread.
Here's a fantastic KEXP covers set she did with a couple of friends for International Women's Day, featuring ECJM content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403wSrpN9M8&t=1s
A woman playing an ECJM? Mah sistah.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
stevejamsecono
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 3472
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:55 am
Location: Brooklyn, NYC
Contact:

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by stevejamsecono » Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:39 am

Maggieo wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:57 am
parry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:08 pm
Because I've been on a total Deep Sea Diver and Jessica Dobson binge... I'm reviving this thread.
Here's a fantastic KEXP covers set she did with a couple of friends for International Women's Day, featuring ECJM content.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403wSrpN9M8&t=1s
A woman playing an ECJM? Mah sistah.
She's got a Jaguar and a Starcaster too that got used a lot on the last record. I'm also pretty sure the other guitar player as a Mosrite-esque Univox. Very offset friendly band, if you ask me :)
OSG Resident Yamaha Fanboy

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 7908
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Deep Sea Diver

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:09 pm

stevejamsecono wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:20 am
Shadoweclipse13 wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 10:13 pm
That's good to know. Maybe I'll stream the rest of History Speaks to see if I dig the whole thing. I'm glad you said something though! I totally forgot about Bandcamp. Thought I signed up years ago, but apparently I hadn't. I picked up the CD for Secrets, and have a few other things I'd forgotten about checking out as well.
It definitely has its merits, and tbf I wouldn't have stuck around to check out Secrets if I hadn't also liked History Speaks. I'd just say the leap from the latter to the former is pretty profound on all fronts, imo. Eventually I think it's gonna have it's day in the sun because it's too good not to.

They just announced tourdates on the East Coast so I hope this means that the new album is just around the corner.
I hate the feeling when you know you're about due for a new album from someone, but no news is coming in. When I saw Japanese Breakfast last summer, they had a new song, and had mentioned that they were working on a new album, but so far nothing but a couple singles.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

Post Reply