Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
User avatar
countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2838
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Tacoma

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by countertext » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:17 pm

Image

Public Image Ltd - First Issue

User avatar
parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8032
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Contact:

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by parry » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:10 pm

Jessica Dobson's KEXP covers set 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403wSrpN9M8&t=1s

Image
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

User avatar
mackerelmint
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 10141
Joined: Sun May 05, 2013 9:51 pm
Location: トイレ国、ウンチ市

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by mackerelmint » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:46 pm

Jeanette.

Just in a big fat youtube spiral of Jeanette, I had a hankering earlier for Yuming but "Por que te vas" popped into my head and I went down a cancion melodica hole all day.
This is an excellent rectangle

User avatar
shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 25498
Joined: Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:30 am
Location: Glasgow. Scotland
Contact:

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by shadowplay » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:19 am

mackerelmint wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:46 pm
Jeanette.

Just in a big fat youtube spiral of Jeanette, I had a hankering earlier for Yuming but "Por que te vas" popped into my head and I went down a cancion melodica hole all day.
If you don't know her check out the other Jeanette. She's best known for singing Come Here My Love on the second This Mortal Coil elpee and also for singing with The Glove but her solo record's and the attendant 12's are often really good.

I love this song; Jeanette - Leo 12" version

D
I like that old time rock 'n' roll, don't try to take me to a disco.

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 10010
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:55 am

“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
Trout
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 751
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2014 4:32 am
Location: Sweden

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by Trout » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:20 pm

#sitdownrock found at https://soundcloud.com/oldguywithaview

User avatar
Maggieo
Expat
Expat
Posts: 10010
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:36 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Contact:

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by Maggieo » Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:01 pm

parry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:10 pm
Jessica Dobson's KEXP covers set 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403wSrpN9M8&t=1s

Image
Dammit, she plays her ECJM like I can only wish I could!

I really want to like her band, but kind of like Josh Scott, she and her husband belonged to a rabidly anti-LGBTQ "Christian" church, that also emphasized a woman's utter obedience to men. They quit, but I'm still a little skeeved about it.

How Christianity Infiltrated Seattle Music with a Little Help from Mars Hill Church and the City Council
His presentation had always been strident and colloquial: He wore Chucks, listened to punk rock, drank, and swore. But for all the "not your typical pastor" trappings, the theology of Mars Hill was hardly reformed. Driscoll railed against the modern interpretation of Jesus as "a neutered and limp-wristed popular Sky Fairy," equated LGBTQ tolerance to a cancer that must be excised, and preached that women must be submissive to their husbands.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

User avatar
countertext
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2838
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:25 pm
Location: Tacoma

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by countertext » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 pm

Image

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced

I know we all grew up with different stuff, but no matter what I listen to, this always seems like the genesis of my love of music. I’ve listened to it so much that I can’t even relate it to other music.

User avatar
Jan Deal
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 264
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:19 pm
Location: Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Contact:

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by Jan Deal » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:42 pm

I am listening to Eluvium - Pianoworks (https://open.spotify.com/album/1Wgz785m ... 1kC2k3YB8g) which is probably tied with Sharon van Etten's latest album as my favourite release of this year.
http://seasstarry.bandcamp.com/ - Fuzz / instrumental / Shoegaze

User avatar
BlixaFan
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2552
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:37 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by BlixaFan » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:38 am

Image

User avatar
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2611
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:31 am
Location: South Eastern Australia

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by windmill » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:35 pm

Image

The Bamboos - Night Time People

User avatar
windmill
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2611
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:31 am
Location: South Eastern Australia

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by windmill » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:37 pm

Image

MC5 - High Time

User avatar
Shadoweclipse13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 7907
Joined: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:22 pm
Location: Stuck in the dimension of imagination

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by Shadoweclipse13 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:37 am

Just picked up a few albums. B-Sides And Remixes (both volumes I and II) from Perturbator, The Black Keys' Let's Rock, and Voids, the final album from Minus The Bear. All really good so far.

Minus The Bear - Last Kiss has really been hitting the spot since I got the album.
Pickup Switching Mad Scientist
http://www.offsetguitars.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104282&p=1438384#p1438384

User avatar
mgeek
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 1136
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:03 pm

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by mgeek » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:24 am

Gene Clark, Dillard and Clark etc have long been HUGE for me...*counts* since I was 16 which is over half my life, yet somehow I'd managed to not get into The Dillards...til I found copies of Wheatstraw Suite and Copperfields in a tiny seaside record shop for five quid apiece a few weeks ago, and can't get enough of em.

This is clearly 'bluegrass' but those vocals...tonally I feel like there's almost a sunshine pop crossover in their vocals. *someone* sounds like Brian Wilson, tonally

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw2kxrBblPE

User avatar
parry
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 8032
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:08 am
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Contact:

Re: Now playing... "what are you listening to right now" thread

Post by parry » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:10 am

Maggieo wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 5:01 pm
parry wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:10 pm
Jessica Dobson's KEXP covers set 8)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=403wSrpN9M8&t=1s

Image
Dammit, she plays her ECJM like I can only wish I could!

I really want to like her band, but kind of like Josh Scott, she and her husband belonged to a rabidly anti-LGBTQ "Christian" church, that also emphasized a woman's utter obedience to men. They quit, but I'm still a little skeeved about it.

How Christianity Infiltrated Seattle Music with a Little Help from Mars Hill Church and the City Council
His presentation had always been strident and colloquial: He wore Chucks, listened to punk rock, drank, and swore. But for all the "not your typical pastor" trappings, the theology of Mars Hill was hardly reformed. Driscoll railed against the modern interpretation of Jesus as "a neutered and limp-wristed popular Sky Fairy," equated LGBTQ tolerance to a cancer that must be excised, and preached that women must be submissive to their husbands.
Ha! You and me both! :D
Thanks for shining a light on that, Mags. I was drawn in by the music and never got much past.
I'll be sure and sift through the backstories though.
Fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity.

Post Reply