American Analog Set

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
scottme
Expat
Expat

American Analog Set

Post by scottme » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:18 am

Anyone else here like American Analog Set from Austin TX?

I first saw them play a small gig in Limmerick in Ireland about 5 years ago, and was mighty impressed. They get some great Jazzmaster tones. Plus the organ and vibraphone sounds are fabulous. Certainly one of the best "post rock" bands IMHO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jBdCjiEsCgA

They have released 6 LPs.

According to http://www.amanset.com/home.htm, they are on extended leave.
Last edited by scottme on Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Re: American Analog Set

Post by mjet » Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:08 am

I like them - but not quite as much as another Austin, TX based band, Explosions in the Sky.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLlYQQrHmh8

Offset content alert! There's an Ibanez Talman and a Fender Toronado on stage at the same time.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Angel221
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Angel221 » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:20 am

Since we're talking about Texas bands ,there was Bedhead later to become The New Year. Bedhead was a super band and they did use a jaguar.
Life on a Cool Curve

fuzzjunkie
Expat
Expat

Post by fuzzjunkie » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:20 pm

Am-Set recorded most of their releases in a home studio, which is really amazing considering how they sound.
sleeping on a bed of fuzz and feedback

donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by donnyII » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:45 am

Another rocking texas band is the sword. They arent as chilled out as american analog set, but they are cool.
Behold, THE WIZARD

lalalandstudios
Expat
Expat

Post by lalalandstudios » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:09 pm

Slightly different genre (OK really really different) but my two all time favorite Texas bands are:

SLOBBERBONE - sadly no more, Brent Best's and Jes Barr's version of "Crazy Horse" that rocked out with the best of them. THE ultimate bar band - hard, punky, country, rock and roll, picking up where Uncle Tupelo left off and more.  They should have played this stuff on the radio if not for a really bad name.... Check out Barrell chested and Everything you thought was wrong.....

CENTRO-MATIC - Will Johnson is an amazing song writer and the songs are often simply perfectly written. Hard to describe, but if you don't know their music check out All the Falsest Hearts for what is one classic record...

I am really liking AmAnSet, pretty cool stuff, just bought Set Free - thanks !
Last edited by lalalandstudios on Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a reasonable man get off my case...

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:23 am

lalalandstudios wrote: Slightly different genre (OK really really different) but my two all time favorite Texas bands are:
I just gave Centro-matic a quick listen and I'd say that there're pretty much in the same genre as AAS, at least at first listen. There's a streaming videoclip on their homepage:  http://www.centro-matic.com/
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

Angel221
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Angel221 » Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:17 am

mjet260
I guess the apple dosen't fall far from the tree.
The Newyear
Caution Massive Tele content

check it out
http://www.thenewyear.net/diseasemov.html
Life on a Cool Curve

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Tue Oct 17, 2006 2:28 am

I must say Austin really has a vibrant and diverse music scene. I really enjoyed my visit there for work a few years ago. The Dallas nightclub was rather intersting. I remember leaving the contents of my stomach in the back yard of the Generic Bar one night....

I like Explosions in the Sky. I can't say I agree with the best band in the world comments on YouTube. A little too close to Sigur Ros in my mind.

The Centro-matic vid is pretty good. Somewhat less post-rock compared to AAS, maybe a little more like Death Cab for Cutie? Anyhow, thanks for the heads-up Frank.

I'm a huge fan of ambient atmospheric Americana, like Labradford, and pretty much anyone else on Kranky for that matter.

Midlake are another TX band currently doing great things - they're touring here soon!