The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Post Reply
User avatar
Haddock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2638
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Toulouse, France

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by Haddock » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:08 am

“Man does not cease to play because he grows old; man grows old because he ceases to play.” -- George Bernard Shaw

User avatar
natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2325
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:30 am
Location: Adelaide, Australia

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by natthu » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:45 am

This is pretty cool - 5 people playing the same guitar....

Walk Off The Earth - Somebody That I Used To Know (originally by Gotye)

User avatar
fine ham abounds
PAT PEND
PAT PEND
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Sep 08, 2011 1:44 pm

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by fine ham abounds » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:10 am

Hello from a newbie. Here's a few covers that rework the originals in interesting ways, methinks.

Breeders - "Happiness is a Warm Gun" (Beatles) - I tend to wince at the idea of Beatles covers, but the Breeders nail it
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8K0yLAtzCY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bauhaus - "Telegram Sam" (T. Rex) - Love the original. Love this cover.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9JUeAQ_urW4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cramps - "Green Door" (Jim Lowe) - Cramps do many great covers but this one's one of my faves.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0YTR-JF5zA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheers.

User avatar
eggwheat
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 4776
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:30 am

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by eggwheat » Thu Jan 12, 2012 8:35 am

Pixies - Wild Honey Pie http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyVsg4nwJn0 Beatles cover.. White album totally fits the Pixes

Beach Boys - Just Once in My Life http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrbzTBosjA4 Carole King/Righteous Brothers Cover..Amazing cover buried on a very poor Beach Boys album.

Beatles - Bad Boy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRQvxf6fNIE Larry Williams cover...amazing Lennon vocal..from when they were heavy :) sounds much better on vinyl!

User avatar
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16456
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Eagle Rock, LOS
Contact:

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by noisepunk » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Their cover of war pigs is pretty fantastic too:
War Pigs-CAKE (Black Sabbath)
bubba899 wrote: and possibly my favorite cover...
I was actually pretty disappointed with this one after hearing the original, and they're my favorite band. You can just really feel the flatness in this track more than their others. The intro and breakdown are both pretty awesome, but the rest just feels really repetitive, because it is.

This is my favorite cover they've done:
Stop Breaking Down-The White Stripes (Rolling Stones)

I'm guessing most people on here don't like Muse, but these are three of my favorite covers:
Can't Take My Eyes Off You-Muse (Frankie Valli)
House of The Rising Sun-Muse (The Animals or so...)
Feeling Good-Muse (Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse)

I'll think of more, I'm sure.
They tried to give me advice, down at the record shop. I said "Sit down boys, this may come as a SHOCK. But alls I listen to, it's all freedom rock."

User avatar
bubba899
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 692
Joined: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:22 am
Location: Chelmsford, UK

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by bubba899 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:27 pm

noisepunk wrote:
Their cover of war pigs is pretty fantastic too:
War Pigs-CAKE (Black Sabbath)
bubba899 wrote: and possibly my favorite cover...
I was actually pretty disappointed with this one after hearing the original, and they're my favorite band. You can just really feel the flatness in this track more than their others. The intro and breakdown are both pretty awesome, but the rest just feels really repetitive, because it is.

This is my favorite cover they've done:
Stop Breaking Down-The White Stripes (Rolling Stones)

I'm guessing most people on here don't like Muse, but these are three of my favorite covers:
Can't Take My Eyes Off You-Muse (Frankie Valli)
House of The Rising Sun-Muse (The Animals or so...)
Feeling Good-Muse (Anthony Newley and Leslie Bricusse)

I'll think of more, I'm sure.
I agree its repetative, but I just love the guitart work on it and I think his voice really suits it. They've done countless fantastic covers though, its hard to choose. Stop breaking down is incredible. Obviously theres jolene, one more cup of coffee, death letter and so on.

Love this one too, repetative again, but brutally bassy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwhNUq8tA_I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

User avatar
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16456
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Eagle Rock, LOS
Contact:

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by noisepunk » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:39 pm

bubba899 wrote:
Love this one too, repetative again, but brutally bassy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwhNUq8tA_I" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Oh yeah, that's a great one.
They tried to give me advice, down at the record shop. I said "Sit down boys, this may come as a SHOCK. But alls I listen to, it's all freedom rock."

User avatar
Haddock
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 2638
Joined: Sat May 03, 2008 11:07 am
Location: Toulouse, France

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by Haddock » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:54 pm

All along the watchtower. Good contender for top spot here. :-*
Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day."
“Man does not cease to play because he grows old; man grows old because he ceases to play.” -- George Bernard Shaw


User avatar
Telliot
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 9936
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:38 pm
Location: Orange County, CA

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by Telliot » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:05 pm

Maybe the best cover I've ever heard:

Siren Song This Mortal Coil
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

User avatar
ncarey13
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 877
Joined: Thu May 28, 2009 1:19 pm
Location: Hattiesburg, MS

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by ncarey13 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:12 pm

TV on the Radio - Modern Romance (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pSqxMW5mtA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They don't advertise for killers in the newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop. Ex-blade runner. Ex-killer.

User avatar
slavemaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 7873
Joined: Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:33 am

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by slavemaster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:24 am

Haddock wrote:All along the watchtower. Good contender for top spot here.
Dylan has described his reaction to hearing Hendrix's version: "It overwhelmed me, really. He had such talent, he could find things inside a song and vigorously develop them. He found things that other people wouldn't think of finding in there. He probably improved upon it by the spaces he was using. I took license with the song from his version, actually, and continue to do it to this day."
This reminded me, there are a lot of good contenders on the Tribute to Jimi Record.
We got people playing stringed instruments! It's the end of days.

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6129
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:37 am

Never cared a jot for My Morning Jacket or Calexico before I heard this, but this is an amazingly atmospheric Dylan cover (no doubt helped along by the visuals).

User avatar
UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 6129
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:05 am
Location: Glasgow, Scotland

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:46 am

I'm quite partial to old-time song covers like this and this too.

User avatar
noisepunk
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923
Posts: 16456
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:55 pm
Location: Eagle Rock, LOS
Contact:

Re: The 'Great Cover' Official Thread

Post by noisepunk » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:01 pm

ncarey13 wrote:TV on the Radio - Modern Romance (Yeah Yeah Yeahs)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pSqxMW5mtA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I was prepared to hate this because of who's rendition it is, but that's actually pretty good.
They tried to give me advice, down at the record shop. I said "Sit down boys, this may come as a SHOCK. But alls I listen to, it's all freedom rock."

Post Reply