errr... Lana Del Rey?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
lazycircles
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: errr... Lana Del Rey?

Post by lazycircles » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:26 am

i think the songs i have heard have been alright, but i think i have only heard a couple. i watched one of the SNL performances and it made me really uncomfortable.

jim93
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jim93 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:01 pm

Straight6DOHC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Straight6DOHC » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:42 pm

Album doesn't have a bum note on it. Completely listenable through every track. Born to Die is just a great track - Blue Jeans is amazing also. Instantly likeable album. Will sell loads and then people will go off her. She'll be a (probably quite rich) one album wonder. Now kicking myself for not going to see her at Oran Mor.

jim93
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jim93 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:14 pm

Straight6DOHC wrote:Album doesn't have a bum note on it. Completely listenable through every track. Born to Die is just a great track - Blue Jeans is amazing also. Instantly likeable album. Will sell loads and then people will go off her. She'll be a (probably quite rich) one album wonder. Now kicking myself for not going to see her at Oran Mor.
She has a very good management- I have never seen SNL spend 3 minutes of airtime justifying a musical guest appearance. This will give her the exposure to sell lots of albums regardless. Long run, who knows.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:02 pm

i respect anyone who actually sings live and doesn't use real-time auto tune or worst, lip sync. Almost every big-time artist uses auto tune live. That being said, she was way too nervous for SNL. There's lot's of yuutoob clips of her live that sound great. She let the pressure get to her on SNL. It appears she's got thick enough skin for the biz, though...

Her biggest issue is that she hasn't found her stage persona... she doesn't have the confidence yet.

DesmondWafers
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by DesmondWafers » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:32 pm

OffYourFace wrote:i respect anyone who actually sings live and doesn't use real-time auto tune or worst, lip sync. Almost every big-time artist uses auto tune live.
It always confuses me when people say that they respect those kind of things from pop musicians. Writing your own songs and actually singing should be the bare minimum. I know that it's not a perfect world but achieving the minimum shouldn't elicit respect.

jim93
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jim93 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:39 pm

DesmondWafers wrote:
OffYourFace wrote:i respect anyone who actually sings live and doesn't use real-time auto tune or worst, lip sync. Almost every big-time artist uses auto tune live.
It always confuses me when people say that they respect those kind of things from pop musicians. Writing your own songs and actually singing should be the bare minimum. I know that it's not a perfect world but achieving the minimum shouldn't elicit respect.
Yes. Im not of the school of thought that there is less people who can actually sing but rather there is less people who can actually sing making it in music in favor of mediocre singers who dont write their own songs or awful singers who cant write either.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:27 am

it's always been that way guys... come on, Elvis? remember that guy?

When I said 'anyone', I meant anyone who's 'making it' in the biz.

jim93
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by jim93 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:33 am

OffYourFace wrote:it's always been that way guys... come on, Elvis? remember that guy?

That guy owes people compensation for borrowing songs.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:35 am

DesmondWafers wrote:
Sorry, but those days are long gone.. Lana Del Ray is a pop star and that's what "respectable" pop stars are today; those who actually sing and without auto-tune. I used to think like you but you can't control the world.
Who cares if you write your own songs? I don't and neither does 90% of the world.
Do you know how many people on the planet actually give a shit about music? To most, music is just another short-term commodity. The voice, the singing & the delivery is all that matters in the end to them.
We care so much about 'pure music' that we're out of touch with the reality of what music means to the rest of the world... not so much.

Let's say that the Beatles are still the most popular band in the world. There are more people on this planet that dislike them than like them.

OffYourFace
Mods
Mods

Post by OffYourFace » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:38 am

jim93 wrote:
OffYourFace wrote:it's always been that way guys... come on, Elvis? remember that guy?

That guy owes people compensation for borrowing songs.

that guy is dead. the music business is one of the worst businesses to be in. the end ;D

natthu
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by natthu » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:25 am

lazycircles wrote:...i watched one of the SNL performances and it made me really uncomfortable.
Yeah, she wasn't fantastic on SNL.... all of her other live performances I've seen were much better.
I actually like what I've heard of her music thus far, but I understand why so many people wouldn't.

Nowadays we are spoilt for choice when it comes to music selection. We have a massive back catalogue of pop and rock (and all other genera) to listen to, and that is being added to daily...
You might as well listen to what you like and avoid stuff you don't. I'm not ashamed to admit that I listen to some Lady Gaga... but I also listen to Meshuggah sometimes, as well as plenty of stuff in between.
There are some artists who I only like one song of and there are others who's songs, I believe, are all brilliant.
I'm not sure where Lana Del Rey fits in that scale yet, it's still too early to tell for me.... could go either way.

Bandarra
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Bandarra » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:29 am

When a music journal has for a title for an artice on this singer "the girl with the sexy lips" i think thats all said.

UlricvonCatalyst
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by UlricvonCatalyst » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:49 am

How I tire of reading the fact that somebody has rich parents as if it's a valid put-down. What exactly does that fact have to do with her musical abilities? Maybe people who sling that kind of mud around aren't aware that everyone operating in the sphere of popular music is backed up by someone with millions to spare, otherwise they wouldn't have the opportunity to become popular in the first place.

As for her music....well it's pretty inoffensive but not really head and shoulders above the many others currently ploughing the retro-torch/soul-singer furrow.

On that note, Ren Harvieu's current single has been getting a lot of airplay in the UK lately and, for my money, is a little bit better than most. Check it out (and please accept my apologies for not deeming it worthy of a thread of its own).

Ren Harvieu - Through The Night

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:40 am

i thought lana del ray was really boring on snl. i get what she is going for, but it does nothing for me. speaking of bad snl performances, is bon iver really that bad. i never heard them before, but it all seemed like a bunch of steve winwood/bruce hornsby AC stuff.