errr... Lana Del Rey?

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
gusman2x
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: errr... Lana Del Rey?

Post by gusman2x » Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:46 pm

First album was immense IMO. Great production, arrangements, and I really like the lyrics/themes. Really really good album. Got the new one, but haven't listened to it yet.

RuffiansFC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by RuffiansFC » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:01 am

at least her choice in football clubs is strong

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:24 am

jim93 wrote:On the other hand look at the unsuccesful careers of famous offspring like Sean Lennon
I don't think I'd consider his music career unsuccessful. I admire him because he does exactly what he wants, whenever he wants, and with whoever he wants. He's not trying to be his dad (though I hear a lot of similarities between their music, but I wouldn't call it intentional), and he doesn't really flaunt the connection too much whilst not trying to hide it either. None of his music is particularly commercially-viable, and I think he's okay with that. Not being concerned with needing the money from an artistic venture can lead to quite interesting results, IMO. I also think it's quite fun that he shares a house with his model girlfriend, Nels Cline and Nel's wife Yuka Honda (with whom Sean played bass for in Cibo Matto).

shadowplay
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by shadowplay » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:29 am

errr... Lana Del Rey? Needs to remove those horrendous Federal bumpers, chrome arch covers and lights on her Merc R107. I pretty much can't hear her over her bad taste.

Should be this.

She has that :k Her actual car that is on the sleeves, I'm guessing she's not a Jaguar endorsee now (there was a time it was hard to find products she didn't endorse). Then again she might just want to remind everyone of her collagen lips.

D
Are you loathsome tonight?

niemand
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by niemand » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:54 am

Last edited by niemand on Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Telliot
Mods
Mods

Post by Telliot » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:12 am

StevenO wrote:
jim93 wrote:On the other hand look at the unsuccesful careers of famous offspring like Sean Lennon
I don't think I'd consider his music career unsuccessful. I admire him because he does exactly what he wants, whenever he wants, and with whoever he wants. He's not trying to be his dad (though I hear a lot of similarities between their music, but I wouldn't call it intentional), and he doesn't really flaunt the connection too much whilst not trying to hide it either. None of his music is particularly commercially-viable, and I think he's okay with that. Not being concerned with needing the money from an artistic venture can lead to quite interesting results, IMO. I also think it's quite fun that he shares a house with his model girlfriend, Nels Cline and Nel's wife Yuka Honda (with whom Sean played bass for in Cibo Matto).
Agreed. I don't know if you caught any of the thread I started about his new Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger album, but there was a lot of discussion about his lineage and trying too hard to sound like his dad. I actually think he's done a pretty good job of navigating through the minefield that's been laid out for him. I guess it's unfortunate he wanted to pursue a career in music (something he's good at IMO); people would be less likely to judge him as harshly if he'd been an accountant.
The cool thing about fretless is you can hit a note...and then renegotiate.

blacktiger
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by blacktiger » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:34 am

I heard one of her newer tracks the other day and thought it was quite nice in a kind of neo-Mazzy Star kind of way. If she was less successful and had a better personality, she'd be an indie rock darling.
Thread killer

s_mcsleazy
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by s_mcsleazy » Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:00 pm

cant say i like her. her music is not offensive enough for me to say "that's shite. i never want to listen to this again" but at the same time. i cant say her songs are memorable enough for me to want to come back.

if she was food, she would be candy floss. not something you want to eat every day but something you could do without.
offset guitars resident bass player.
'Are you trying to seduce me Mrs Robinson? Or do you just want me to solder a couple of resistors into your Muff?'

fakeplasticdreams
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by fakeplasticdreams » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:53 pm

lana del rey the character is a music marketing execs wet dream. perfectly calculated career/hype machine.

for me , hard to enjoy the music when i already know this. that said, the music is just OK, very one trick pony.

Straight6DOHC
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Straight6DOHC » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:22 am

Straight6DOHC wrote:Album doesn't have a bum note on it. Completely listenable through every track. Born to Die is just a great track - Blue Jeans is amazing also. Instantly likeable album. Will sell loads and then people will go off her. She'll be a (probably quite rich) one album wonder. Now kicking myself for not going to see her at Oran Mor.
Ok, four albums in now. She's still around. Shows how much I know. Ultraviolence was a great album too IMO. I'm trying to catch up with the 3rd album and now the 4rth album is out. Those latter two albums are perfectly listenable too. I've ordered tickets to the Glasgow gig.

Gig was announced last week (unless I'm mistaken), tickets went on sale today, the gig's on August 23rd.....this year. Very short time from gig being announced until it's actually played. Also, in attempt to beat touts, a maximum of only 4 tickets allowed per paying customer and all people entering the concert have to accompany the person who bout the tickets (on credit card) who must have photo ID to confirm they actually bought the tickets in the first place.
Tickets went on sale at 9 am this morning. I phoned up and by 9:05am I had bought 2 standing tickets. Very easy transaction with no phone queuing. (Websites didn't allow me to purchase tickets - they crashed?)
Now, I'm not too sure how they will police the turnstyles, but, I've found it difficult to buy tickets in the past, phone lines jammed up and websites crashing. I'm sick to the back teeth of touts so I'm pretty happy with this mornings transaction. Heard the London gigs only lasted an hour though.