New Jet Album.

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

New Jet Album.

Post by donnyII » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:47 am

The new jet album has a LOT of different offsets played on it. This album is actually kind of cool, in the sense that not every song on it isnt a rip off of some cool (i.e. iggy pop, AC/DC, John Lennon).

Just thought i'd throw that out there.
Behold, THE WIZARD

chrisjedijane
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: New Jet Album.

Post by chrisjedijane » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:05 am

I don't like jet at all - i think they're horribly derivative.

did anyone see the review on pitchfork of the new album? it was comedy gold.
"we lack the motion to move to the new beat"

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sat Oct 14, 2006 3:28 pm

chrisjedijane wrote:
Strange for Pitchfork - they neglected to give it a score on their 1-10 scale. I wonder what they *really* thought of it?  ;D
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by donnyII » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:18 pm

Picthfork media is pretty much comedy gold in itself.
Behold, THE WIZARD

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:50 pm

chrisjedijane wrote: I don't like jet at all - i think they're horribly derivative.

I don't like jet either, but pitchfork is terrible, as this 'review' illustrates. NME is far worse though.

sookwinder
Mods
Mods

Post by sookwinder » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:56 pm

OK Jet is an aussie band and they grew up playing gigs in australia where the crowd want that type of rocknroll.  For me they are somewhat derivative and although obviously exciiting to see (I've seen a couple of shows on TV) I wouldn't buy their cds or go and actually see them... why?  because its all be done before... stones, faces, even aerosmith on some levels have done everything Jet are doing now.  The same with another aussie band wolfmother ...essentially a zepellin rip off (even down to the guitarists voice) as well as other hard rock bands.  again I would not buy their cds or go and see them ... been there done that before.

HOWEVER

these types of bands are essential to have around because (1) they are young and it means that we have some more young musicians coming on the scene, plus (2) the "young in crowd"  (always wanted to write that in a posting) love them and think they are new and fresh .  These youngens do not know the early zep, black sabbath, stones, aerosmith, face, mc5 who ever from the 70s,... so they have taken on this hard rock of Jet and Wolfmother as their own.  which is good for music.

Lastly my nephew who is 9 and tries to play his strat loves Jet because they are LOUD and FAST and EXCITING.  he doesn't care what ther lyrics mean, what guitars are used or whether they ripped off ACDC or Lennon or whoever.  It is just loud exciting music to him and he loves it.  Which again is great... cause by the time he is 15 he can start branching out into other types of music.  I've already got him into beatles, 50s & 60s  soul/motown, Booker T & the MGs and the Allman Bros.  Not bad for a 9 year old.   When I was that age I couldn't even scratch my arse !
Last edited by sookwinder on Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
relaxing alternative to doing actual work ...

tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Post by tsalwel » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:36 am

sookwinder wrote: OK Jet is an aussie band and they grew up playing gigs in australia where the crowd want that type of rocknroll.  For me they are somewhat derivative and although obviously exciiting to see (I've seen a couple of shows on TV) I wouldn't buy their cds or go and actually see them... why?  because its all be done before... stones, faces, even aerosmith on some levels have done everything Jet are doing now.  The same with another aussie band wolfmother ...essentially a zepellin rip off (even down to the guitarists voice) as well as other hard rock bands.  again I would not buy their cds or go and see them ... been there done that before.

HOWEVER

these types of bands are essential to have around because (1) they are young and it means that we have some more young musicians coming on the scene, plus (2) the "young in crowd"  (always wanted to write that in a posting) love them and think they are new and fresh .  These youngens do not know the early zep, black sabbath, stones, aerosmith, face, mc5 who ever from the 70s,... so they have taken on this hard rock of Jet and Wolfmother as their own.  which is good for music.

Lastly my nephew who is 9 and tries to play his strat loves Jet because they are LOUD and FAST and EXCITING.  he doesn't care what ther lyrics mean, what guitars are used or whether they ripped off ACDC or Lennon or whoever.  It is just loud exciting music to him and he loves it.  Which again is great... cause by the time he is 15 he can start branching out into other types of music.  I've already got him into beatles, 50s & 60s  soul/motown, Booker T & the MGs and the Allman Bros.  Not bad for a 9 year old.   When I was that age I couldn't even scratch my arse !

wolfmother  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r98WLLWMq3o

When I was that age I couldn't even scratch my arse !

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

d
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:50 am

Back in the late 90s, live music was really struggling ,at least here in Australia / Sydney, where dance music, playstations and chatrooms reined suppreme.  I think this gulf has helped the music industry to be able to sell NOS music to the kids by the Pod load. Hence the massive efoort to market to young teens, who represent massive buying power. It's low risk commercially, and it's probably also fueled by nostalgiic industry fat cats. Maybe the kids are more ignorant today about "old" music than ever before - just maybe (kids will just say who's this Mike Paton guy anyway?). This would be ironic considering they have unprecendented access to very cheap (free?) music from all periods and genres. It's all about bragging rights (I've downloaded 10000 CDs!!) and obsession with the delivery technology. The music has become a mere commodiity. But I still think there is some wonderful things happeniong though.

Although I don't find Jet and Wolfmother (in this case) to be particularly original, they do put on a good high energy, great sounding jump around live set.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:56 am

There is a place for Jet and the like .. although I personally find Jet to be a little too derivative and thus a bit boring .. but listenable enough.

There are plenty of other Aussie/NZ bands that play high energy rock with obvious influences but still manage to bring something new to the table .. I'm thinking You Am I, Dallas Crane, even the Datsuns for example.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Orang Goreng
Mods
Mods

Post by Orang Goreng » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:32 am

Oddly enough I only know "are you gonna be my girl" and I love that song! IMHO, nearly every band is derivative of something else, at least to some degree. I don't think that's bad thing per se. I've seen a lot of local bands that at first glance appear to be non-derivative. But there usually is a reason for that...they play stuff all other bands have tried out in the rehearsal room before they decided that playing that stuff live is just a really, really bad idea. It would be worth a lot to me if I never have to see another "King Crimson meets Arnold Schoenberg" experiment ever again....

Talking about Australian bands...does anyone here have an opinion on The Drones? I only know a couple of their songs, which really remind me a lot of early Birthday Party. But I can hardly get enough of the Birthday Party, so I enjoy the derivativeness (christ, is that a word?) in this case.
In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man's a freak.

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:31 am

mezcalhead wrote: There is a place for Jet and the like .. although I personally find Jet to be a little too derivative and thus a bit boring .. but listenable enough.

There are plenty of other Aussie/NZ bands that play high energy rock with obvious influences but still manage to bring something new to the table .. I'm thinking You Am I, Dallas Crane, even the Datsuns for example.

You Am I are great, I actualy caught them live years ago when they supported the Lemonheads. :)

there's a great Aussie band called Polyanna I really like...especialya song called "Fordgreensilverrocket"
Resident Spartan.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:44 am

Pollyanna are great .. if you like them, try Something For Kate and Knievel .. Knievel are Wayne Connolly's band, kind of an occasional thing as Connolly spends most of his time producing and has worked with most of the good Aussie indie-pop bands like the Hummingbirds and so on.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:08 am

Wow, Polyana, that's quite obscure. I saw the guy from Polyana play a solo gig last year - he was quite good. I used to see Polyana play quite a lot.