Cocteau Twins

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
matthew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Cocteau Twins

Post by matthew » Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:35 pm

How could an offset forum not have a Cocteau Twins thread? For quite a while their staple guitars were Jazzmasters, Jaguars, Electric XII, and Bass VIs. One song (I think Rococo from Aikea Guinea) was written as the result of a 'Bass VI duel' between Robin and Simon apparently...

Lots of atmosphere, melodies, and a lot of what sounds like keyboard is probably guitars with an imaginitive bundle of effects. I read somewhere that Heaven Or Las Vegas had little or no keyboard...

enormous
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Cocteau Twins

Post by enormous » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:38 pm

I've heard a lot about them, but I am still in the process of getting to know them.  Right now I have Treasure, any recommendations?

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Oct 13, 2006 3:59 pm

I've been a huge fan for aeons. Robin Guthrie became a hero of mine and I don't even know all that much about him. It happened when I was reading an interview in which he tried to explain how he came up with his unique style of ethereal effect-heavy playing:
"When I started playing guitar, when I was about 14 or 15, my other friends who were learning could pretty soon copy other people's records, and pick up guitar lines and things. And I could never do that. So while they learned how to sound like other people, I got into electronics.I could make really interesting sounds, but I couldn't be Jimmy Page. Which, ironically, is all I wanted to be able to do. But I learnt that I didn't have to, I could do whatever I wanted. I got into hiding behind sound." Total Guitar, May 1996
Here's a pretty easy introduction to them and their sound, using one of their later video clips, "Carolyn's Fingers":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otokK5zyGiA

Excuse the $trat in the opening!

IMO, they were always a band to be listened to and not watched. I suggest that clip because I found it quickly and its of decent quality.

Elizabeth Fraser sings in kind of a nonsensical language, a bit like Sigur Ros would do a few years later with Jonsi singing in "Hopelandic" (a kind of Icelandic and jibberish mixed together more like a separate instrument than a language).
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:05 pm

And another bit from a more recent interview with Robin Guthrie:

Q: Your approach has influenced a lot of people. The way The Cocteau Twins sounded inspired shoegazer music, but you still have that very ethereal sound to your guitar playing. How did you come across this style?

Guthrie: I stopped being a proper musician. I came from punk rock, and I got into music when punk rock came along, and one of the things I forgot to do was to play properly. I found myself with all these ideas, but I just had my imagination I guess. I wanted my guitar to sound different from the way a regular guitar sounds, I guess. I just played to my limitations as a musician.
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

scottme
Expat
Expat

Post by scottme » Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:43 pm

Robin's solo work is worth checking out too. I really like Continental.
Last edited by scottme on Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:02 pm

scottme wrote: Robin's solo work is pretty good as well. I really like Continental.
and let's not forget Robin's current band, Violet Indiana. great stuff with some new sounds; i think he's playing a Gretsch on those albums.

after 20 years of Cocteau geek fandom  (inc. three concerts, one Robin Guthrie solo show, and a Guthrie/Harold Budd performance), i'll go on endlessly if you get me started.  :o  suffice it to say that if "Treasure" is your starting point, i'd go next to "Heaven or Las Vegas and then some of the EPs, recently anthologized as "Lullabies to Violane." there's some essential material on those discs, man -- "Echoes in a Shallow Bay" and "Tiny Dynamine" are definitive. 
in the coldest night / huddled 'round the dying embers

matthew
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by matthew » Fri Oct 13, 2006 9:35 pm

Yes, Violet Indiana is great - the Cocteau Twins ancestry is there, but it much more edgy - if you have heard Mono, then it is their vocalist (Sioban de Mare), and it has a similar feel, but with guitar based backing.

From Treasure, I'd suggest Bluebell Knoll, and the eps are definitely worth it, Lullabies to Violane was a limited release I believe, but if you can find it very much worth your purchase.

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:59 pm

Hey dc... were you at the Melodic Meshes show during SIFF?
Pedal Pusher

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Oct 14, 2006 2:18 am

Personally I'd say Heaven & Las Vegas is probably their finest moment, although I like nearly all their stuff.

I'll have to pick up Violet Indiana .. sounds like it should be very good.
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:11 am

tremolite wrote: Hey dc... were you at the Melodic Meshes show during SIFF?

like i was going to be anywhere else?  8)  yeah, it was a fun evening -- i only get to take my girlfriend, a non-rock fan, to about one show every two years, so that was a good one for her. and obviously it was a rare treat getting to see Guthrie/Budd play together live. i was *totally* surprised when they announced that show.

were you there, Trem?  what did you think?
Last edited by dc on Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:26 am

mezcalhead wrote:
I'll have to pick up Violet Indiana .. sounds like it should be very good.
Matthew's comment about a more "edgy" sounds is right on, Violet Indiana has a much more "cinematic" quality than the Twins. Siobhan de Mare has a bit of Shirley Bassey flair to her delivery, it's been said. plus she is H-O-T.  :)

i'd recommend starting with the first album "Routlette" and its attendant EP "Choke." one song on the latter, "Busted," belongs in a David Lynch film.

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:21 am

Oh man I was there with bells on! I thought it was incredible. It was funny when I was standing in line waiting to get in, i'm talking to people in line around me and it felt like I was the only one there who knew who Guthrie/Budd were, which was strange. I don't remember the films all that much as I had my eyes closed intently listening to the lovely sounds filling the room. I was pretty shocked too when the show was announced...
Pedal Pusher

dc
Expat
Expat

Post by dc » Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:48 am

tremolite wrote: I don't remember the films all that much as I had my eyes closed intently listening to the lovely sounds filling the room. I was pretty shocked too when the show was announced...
yeah, the films were almost incidental to the experience, although several were pretty cool. the one with a woman in a wind-blown gown walking around the shoreline meshed well with the vibe of the music, and the guy boxing a kangaroo was discordant but funny. another friend of mine who was there said she mostly kept her eyes shut too.

since it was general admission, we went really early to stand in queue outside the building, got Greek take-out from some bar across the street and basked in the sidewalk sunshine until they opened the doors. we talked to one or two people around us, and they seemed cool and knowledgeable. then while we were waiting, a film crew from SIFF came by and interviewed me about why we were coming to the show! i'm sure my answers were sycophantic and nonsensical, but hopefully i looked cool in my all-black togs and shades. i wonder what they do with that footage?

oh, Mr. Guthrie posted his own impressions of the show in the June entry on his blog: www.violetindiana.com sounds like he had fun too.

donnyII
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by donnyII » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:41 am

amazing spacial textures.
Behold, THE WIZARD

tremolite
Expat
Expat

Post by tremolite » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:12 am

I wonder if the footage ends up on their website or something? I really wanted to talk to Robin or Harold after the show but there were just too many people asking for autographs and such. I did notice he was using one of those Vox Valvtronix units. Robin produced a record for a friend of mine recently. The band is called Mahoganyand the record is called Connectivity! It's coming out soon on Darla, if it's not out already. I think any fans of the Cocteau's, etc would dig it.
Pedal Pusher