Check this shit out

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Check this shit out

Post by 1946dodge » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:20 pm

This guy rips the shit out of his acoustic and plays Little Wing. His name is Monte Montgomery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0rbBUGL ... ed&search=
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Re: Check this shit out

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:51 pm

??? Ouch!! I don't usually like fret-wanking but thats pretty fucking good. I though he was gonna sing on top of it all. Asking too much maybe.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:24 pm

Porky Prime Cut  my friend, I only wish I could wank frets!

My guitar playing sucks.  I use mostly barred chords and some lead crap I made up. And I have been playing for a long time.
My only justification for having all these guitars (aside from the fact that I do enjoy playing them even if no one wants to listen) is that my son is a professional
and he will inherit them someday. I offered numerous ones to him now, in fact he can have any he wants, but he says he only needs his ES335 (and his Comanche once in a while).

I wish I knew how to play a real goddamn song!
All I know is the"Star Spangled Banne"r and "The Shadow of your Smile", and a few snippets of some Hendrix stuff.

When I see a young guy like this Monte chap, or you guys playing, I am in awe.
A  man studies and learns all of his  life, and  attains wisdom only when he finds that  he knows much and understands nothing.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:54 am

Nice .. my favourite bits were what he was doing while he was working around the chords rather than the single-note runs.

He'll break the neck off that guitar one day!

:)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Superfuzz
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Superfuzz » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:23 am

where does he found all that sustain? :o
Architecture students are like virgins with an itch they cannot scratch,  never build a building 'till are fifty, what kind of life is that?

tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Post by tsalwel » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:34 am

mezcalhead wrote: Nice ..

He'll break the neck off that guitar one day!

:)
i broke the headstock of my lp  3 times  :-[
now i use the trem on the jzz

:D
  d
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

zhivago
Mods
Mods

Post by zhivago » Sat Apr 07, 2007 4:49 am

that was outstanding playing....how heavy are his strings, I wonder...he must use light ones to get that kind of playing happening on an acoustic.
Resident Spartan.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:17 am

1946dodge wrote:
My guitar playing sucks.  I use mostly barred chords and some lead crap I made up. And I have been playing for a long time.
Nothing wrong with barre chords. I'm exactly the same!! In fact it took me years to get past the first 3 frets. The B chord used to always be my downfall. I try to avoid picking as I never trained individual fingers when I first started to play. I'm too set in my ways now.

I play a mean Tell Me Why (Neil Young). Thats as adventurous as my picking gets!!

Anyway, its not what you play, its how you play it!!  :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:41 am

I just had my first guitar lesson two weeks ago after playing guitar for more than half my life .. I think it's never too late, if you have the inclination. I've been in a guitar rut for years, and I have some spare time now, so I took the plunge.

It was a real eye-opener .. the neck makes a lot more sense already. I feel like a little fish that's lived in a stream all his life and just swam out into the ocean .. so many possibilities.

I agree though that you don't have to be any good at the guitar to make music worth listening to, which is one of the things I like about it. I tried learning saxophone briefly when I was younger, and you're basically doomed to suck and be completely unlistenable for a couple of years at least.

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:54 am

mezcalhead wrote: I tried learning saxophone briefly when I was younger, and you're basically doomed to suck and be completely unlistenable for a couple of years at least.
:D

Funny that! My uncle, the first person I ever saw playing uitar, plays Sax too. When I was a kid he showed me how to play both.

Lets just say that choosing guitar was an easy decision!!  :)

fullerplast
Mods
Mods

Post by fullerplast » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:52 pm

I just had my first guitar lesson two weeks ago after playing guitar for more than half my life
I've been thinking of taking a few lessons myself!

I'm strictly a rhythm player and don't even know the scale past the fifth fret. But I can mimic things that people show me. I think that if I knew a few basics, I could improvise (and play) more lead instead of just memorizing some riffs.
Q. Are we not men?

1946dodge
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by 1946dodge » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:54 pm

You know, I think I may take lessons myself. I am the type that likes to learn by myself, but in this case, I do need alot of guidance.
Anyway watching anyone who is good play is always a humbling (and challenging) experience for me, and so yea, I think I ought to take lessons.
Maybe I will understand what the hell I am doing, and get some better use out of my guitars.

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:56 pm

i enjoyed learning by myself and I think I've got a fairly distinctive style because of that .. I did have piano and theory lessons for years as a kid so I had a pretty good musical grounding to start with, which helped a lot I guess. But there's a lot of stuff I want to learn now that I can't really get to by myself, I've tried and no dice. So lessons it is .. I already understand a couple of things I've read through and puzzled over without success, just because asking someone a direct question and getting a straight answer (or seeing someone play something) is so much clearer than reading something in a book and not really being sure of the context.

Another nice thing about taking lessons is that it keeps you practicing because you've got something specific to practice and you know that next week someone will be checking up on you.

Plus, it's fun!