Re: Nels Cline

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Wed Nov 15, 2006 9:48 pm

aen wrote: Haha, we read the same issue of guitar player.  I got it because of the sexxxy Jazzmaster on the cover.
To this day, I'm thrilled that I tipped off the guys at his record company, Cryptogramaphone, that Nels was on the cover.  I'd emailed them with a fan's mash note thanking them for putting out The Giant Pin.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

flatfiver
Expat
Expat

Post by flatfiver » Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:42 pm

aen wrote: Haha, we read the same issue of guitar player.  I got it because of the sexxxy Jazzmaster on the cover.
Me too!  That's actually where I first heard of him.  Usually when I read exposes on players in mags like that and think "Wow, this guy sounds like the shit!" then the guy actually ends up being just plain shit, instead of the shit.  Not so with Nels!  GP had a couple tracks linked from The Giant Pin and I was hooked!

If not for that Jazzmaster peeking out over the covers of the other mags in the rack, I'd still be drinking Kool-Aid and listening to nothing but John Scofield.  Thank you, Guitar Player Magazine, you changed my life! 
Zen & the Art of Jazzmaster Maintenance

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:08 pm

+1

I took a huge influence from one of the songs off giant pin and did "eight times the hate" with my band

http://myspace.com/theronaldraygun
I prefer their older stuff.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:29 pm

aen wrote: +1

I took a huge influence from one of the songs off giant pin and did "eight times the hate" with my band

http://myspace.com/theronaldraygun
I knew that!!!

Dude, you rule.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

aen
Expat
Expat

Post by aen » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:17 am

Yes, I am an excellent copycat. ;)
I prefer their older stuff.