Re: The bands / scenes that you just hate, hate, hate!

Favorite new record? Favorite old record? Got a band? Post it here.
tsalwel
Expat
Expat

Post by tsalwel » Sun Mar 11, 2007 5:22 am

Maggieo wrote: You know what?

I've found that the coolest people I've ever known never talk trash about the things they don't like- they spend all their time telling you, with great passion, about the things they love and that you might be missing out on.  They've never told me that I had shit taste in music because I listened to ________, they just gently and enthusiastically pointed me at a band that had something in common, but, ultimately, was waaaaay better at that thing.

And tastes change- a lot of folks thought that disco and ABBA were shite in the 70's and now they're cool.

I barely have time to listen to decent stuff; I'm not going to waste my time listening to stuff I don't like and I'm not going to waste energy slagging groups when I could be spreading the word on artists who need some word of mouth.  (and I'd hate to think that other musicians are slagging me behind my back, you know?)

That's just me.

Carry on.
all true maggie

BUT
a little rage now and then.........
good for the soul

:D :D
      d
music ALLways
music  IS my motor

Tweez
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweez » Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:00 am

chrisjedijane wrote:
PorkyPrimeCut wrote: Mika needs a good slap!!!
This is true. I never liked Freddie Mercury all that much, and watching someone pretend to be him annoys me even more! It's one of the few songs that I'll actually switch the radio off when it comes on.
+1

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:34 pm

Mostly I prefer to expend my limited time and energy on finding, listening to or passing on the good stuff, but
tsalwel wrote: a little rage now and then.........
good for the soul
I see this point of view as well.

:)
Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Maggieo
Expat
Expat

Post by Maggieo » Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:44 pm

tsalwel wrote: all true maggie

BUT
a little rage now and then.........
good for the soul

:D :D
      d
Yeah, but I save my rage for important stuff, like the dickheads in power who are trying to ruin the world and stuff like that.  If it's not worth listening to, it's not worthy of my rage.
“Now I am quietly waiting for/ the catastrophe of my personality/ to seem beautiful again.”- Frank O'Hara
I am not an attorney and this post is for entertainment purposes only. Please consult a licensed attorney in your state for legal advice.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:19 pm

I generally can tell whether I will like a band or not by how they dress. When I see bands that are all done up to look indie-cool I usually am able to pass. Fashion usually ruins music. Most of the bands that I really like and admire show up for shows in jeans and t-shirts and are exactly the same thing they they were wearing earlier that day. I suppose the real logic behind this is that if you're involved with a record company who is going to hire stylists to redo the band's image, the music is probably secondary and fleeting.

I'm always willing to be proven wrong but I have to say I prove myself right more often than wrong.

Here's a bright and shining example of a band upon first glance that I figured I didn't need to hear and then, when I did, felt as if that initial prejudice was justified. What a bunch of tools.

"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

idiotbear

Post by idiotbear » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:34 pm

mjet260 wrote: What a bunch of tools.
+ several.

See, I like expending my rage on music. I feel like I need to have a fucking FIGHT about it sometimes, which just helps me remember that I still care. My job and young family take up so much of my time that I don't have an active band, and I miss the great rucks we used to have in Idiot Bear about music, so I guess I'm just jonesing for that. It was great - me and Ross (drummer) would fight about songwriting. Me and Nick (guitar) would fight about his inexplicable love for MOR crap. And me and Lynden (bass) would never fight at all, really, cos he's so damn mild mannered, and he loves Kraftwerk.

Also, I'm just an argumentative person.  ;)

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:47 pm

Yep. Complete knob-jockeys!!!  :D

They played in England last year & the crowd started throwing bottles & shit (not literally...I wish!!) at them. They didn't get the message & completed their set. Then afterwards everyone was like "ooooh, you were like, so brave to stay put & finish your show,,,slurp, slurp!!!!"

What they should have said was "Hey, My Chemical Romance. One question. Why don't you take the hint & fuck off!!"

Rant over...for now.
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

StevenO
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by StevenO » Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:56 pm

You know, the strange thing about My Chemical Romance is that when they were really big a few years ago, I thought to myself "man, popular music can't get any worse" and then when I heard Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy, I thought "okay, popular music can't get any worse then this" and then I heard My Chemical Romance again and I thought "well compared to Panic and Fall Out Boy, they're not so bad".

::)

JazzBlaster
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by JazzBlaster » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:00 pm

You can be as into the loop or out of it as you want to be. There have always been "teen sensations" as long there has been rock n roll. I see music as art and these people, thier art never lasts because there is nothing substantial to it.
It's not about the gear! It's about you, your hands, your imagination, your feelings.

mjet
Expat
Expat

Post by mjet » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:04 pm

StevenO wrote: You know, the strange thing about My Chemical Romance is that when they were really big a few years ago, I thought to myself "man, popular music can't get any worse" and then when I heard Panic At The Disco and Fall Out Boy, I thought "okay, popular music can't get any worse then this" and then I heard My Chemical Romance again and I thought "well compared to Panic and Fall Out Boy, they're not so bad".

::)
Sounds like a good old fashioned "race for the bottom".
"You eventually learn that true priorities are like arms; if you think you have more than a couple, you're either lying or crazy."

mezcalhead
Admin
Admin

Post by mezcalhead » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:22 pm

There's nothing new under the sun, as they say ..

Distance-crunching honcho with echo unit.

Sauerkraut
Expat
Expat

Post by Sauerkraut » Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:35 pm

mynameisjonas wrote: danko jones
seconded, he's probably the worst thing that ever happened to this planet.

:(

mynameisjonas
Admin
Admin

Post by mynameisjonas » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:12 pm

speaking of generic emo bands, what do you think of billy talent´s guitarist´s hair ;D

PorkyPrimeCut
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by PorkyPrimeCut » Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:22 pm

The only new teen band that I've any time for at the moment are The Horrors. Love em or hate em they play some mean Garage-Punk Madness!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmlcxwW0DKE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZMrwZItOGE

Also they use a Jaguar & one of them makes his own pedals. The best thing to come out of Southend since...er...the end of The Thames.  :)
You think you can't, you wish you could, I know you can, I wish you would. Slip inside this house as you pass by.

Tweez
PAT. # 2.972.923
PAT. # 2.972.923

Post by Tweez » Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:03 pm

Ian D'Sa is a total tit, his hair is a failed statement of individuality.