Page 1 of 460

Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:34 am
by shadowplay
I was thinking it might be cool to have a thread where we can post a song everyday that you are particularly loving. It doesn't need to be new but it would be nice to see some new stuff because there's too much looking back. I know there's a 'what's playing' thread but this is intended to promote listening and easy access. it's a quick sugar rush or morning espresso in musical form. Anything goes citizens of offsetland.

I'll start with;

Higher Than The Stars (Saint Etienne visits Lord Spank Remix) by The Pains of Being Pure At Heart.

They are a band that I really don't rate one little bit; limp, twee, derivative, but...the remix is fucking gorgeous. I played it out last night and it went down a storm.

D

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:44 am
by BoringPostcards
Molten Light by Chad VanGaalen. He's from Calgary and makes all his albums by himself. Plays everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLw5b70OJH8

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:12 pm
by shadowplay
Skiptracer1981 wrote:Molten Light by Chad VanGaalen. He's from Calgary and makes all his albums by himself. Plays everything.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLw5b70OJH8
:) I bought his last as a gift a week or so ago for a friend who had liked the Adem album I bought her and I thought this might appeal too. I didn't know he did his visuals, pretty resourceful and talented.

D

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:36 pm
by Jonesie
"Teenage FBI" by Guided By Voices

Bob Pollard is a god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LWN9_kypU0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:45 pm
by Glider
Yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GDIkb5CDUY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:-* :-*

Today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GugzLSbOQE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This album is pure genius.

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:03 am
by shadowplay
Some good choices here. Come on the rest of OSG, let's hear what's grabbed you today. :)

Today I'm enjoying the Trespassers William EP The Natural Order of Things especially - I Could Go Back

It's a great track and about 4 minutes in has perhaps my favourite bit of guitar this year.

D

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:18 am
by PorkyPrimeCut
Be Forewarned by Macabre.....play it through. It's got a great ending.

They later became Pentagram & re-recorded this track with an awful added vocal.

Even though it wasn't recorded in the 60's this is one of my favourite Psych tracks of all times. I'm knee deep in 60's Garage at the moment.

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:05 am
by shadowplay
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:Be Forewarned by Macabre.....play it through. It's got a great ending.

They later became Pentagram & re-recorded this track with an awful added vocal.

Even though it wasn't recorded in the 60's this is one of my favourite Psych tracks of all times. I'm knee deep in 60's Garage at the moment.

You'd get on great with my mate Psychedelic Jack, he's been obsessed with this stuff since we saw The Fuzztones with Naz Nomad and the Nightmares in 1983, he is to obscure 60's groups what I am to obscure German groups. ;) Though there's a guy I've known from record shops going way back, who looks the straightest guy ever (dresses like he's going lawn bowling) but has the maddest collection imaginable, and majors in oddball 60's obscurity his whole Georgian house is racked for records and has every wierdo record you could imagine and obviously no wife.

As a side note have you heard Acid Eater? Mad, japanese, sounds like it was recorded in a club toilet but ace!

Also Speed Glue & Shinki - Stoned out of my mind they are like a psyche band that went 'heavy music' but never really changed the song structures.

D

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:33 am
by PorkyPrimeCut
Wo there!!!! That Acid Eater link is fucking great. I'm gonna hunt down some of their stuff now.

The other link's good but the Zep-like heavy-psych gets a bit samey, if you know what I mean.
Kinda reminds me of Monster Magnet though, which is nice!

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:42 am
by shadowplay
PorkyPrimeCut wrote:Wo there!!!! That Acid Eater link is fucking great. I'm gonna hunt down some of their stuff now.

The other link's good but the Zep-like heavy-psych gets a bit samey, if you know what I mean.
Kinda reminds me of Monster Magnet though, which is nice!
Fair comment on Shinki (mainly interesting for being the one Japanese band into drugs) and yes Acid Eater are mad but great. I know a few guys who have seen them in Japan and given glorious reports of psyche fuelled tinnitus!

D

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:04 am
by whisperit
shadowplay wrote: Higher Than The Stars (Saint Etienne visits Lord Spank Remix) by The Pains of Being Pure At Heart.

They are a band that I really don't rate one little bit; limp, twee, derivative, but...the remix is fucking gorgeous. I played it out last night and it went down a storm.
D
Wow, a great mix indeed! where's our poor little remix thread :D
It's really the best thing I've heard from TPoBPaH. I saw a little bit of their set at Primavera, it's the same story as with Vivian Girls: yeah, guitars - not bad, but too monotonous.

back on topic...
Lately, I feel a need for some lovely synth sounds:
Erlend Øye - Sheltered Life [Rmx] / Fine Night [Acapella] (cut)

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:49 am
by valley_parade
shadowplay wrote: They are a band that I really don't rate one little bit; limp, twee, derivative
I think Jay Reatard once called them "The Pains of Being Boring at Heart". Fits perfectly.

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:09 am
by echobaseone
shadowplay wrote:
Today I'm enjoying the Trespassers William EP The Natural Order of Things especially - I Could Go Back


D
That is so weird. I had heard of this group, but had no idea of their popularity...a friend of mine is doing an internet remote recording, where he sends out his vox and and acoustic tracks, and you get one instrument and one vocal track to make your impression on the song. Apparently the singer of TW signed on. Good for him.
Today I've been enjoying another friend's work...came as a complete surprise because I didn't know he even played!
Red Liquid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajoTfzuvmow" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"man it's so loud in here" - TMBG

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:16 pm
by bdm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEXqs_RGgqs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Song of the Day Thread

Posted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:32 pm
by shadowplay
whisperit wrote: Wow, a great mix indeed! where's our poor little remix thread :D
It's really the best thing I've heard from TPoBPaH. I saw a little bit of their set at Primavera, it's the same story as with Vivian Girls: yeah, guitars - not bad, but too monotonous.

back on topic...
Lately, I feel a need for some lovely synth sounds:
Erlend Øye - Sheltered Life [Rmx] / Fine Night [Acapella] (cut)
Died due disinterest :(

That track always reminds me of the Beloved.

D